What's your all time favorite book but for a weird reason?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
amadams97
Currently Reading: The Boss
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amadams97.html

What's your all time favorite book but for a weird reason?

Post by amadams97 »

Perfect World by Brian James. He is a fantastic author, but I loved this book for more than just because it was a good book. His writing style is unique, and the format of the book was the first thing that interested me. His characters talk in italics and it was easy for me to skim over and make sure it was something I wanted to read. So what about you guys? Anything out there that you like for a reason other than (and because of) the good writing?
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

My fave book for a weird reason? Hm... Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma because it was really, really quirky and odd. Entirely unpredictable, atmospheric, and full of subconscious, dream imagery.
amadams97
Currently Reading: The Boss
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amadams97.html

Post by amadams97 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:My fave book for a weird reason? Hm... Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma because it was really, really quirky and odd. Entirely unpredictable, atmospheric, and full of subconscious, dream imagery.
I've never heard of this book or writer, but I'm definitely going to check it out now!! :P
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great! Get back to me with your thoughts about it!! :-)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Okay, it's not my all time favorite or anything, but I really liked the paperback of Twilight just because it looks so thick and heavy, but actually, it's really light. And I mean this literally. Like the pages feel like they are made of air or something. It has nothing to do with the content of the book. But the book itself feels so weird when holding it...

Okay, I'm weird. Yes.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

In college and beyond, I've actually enjoyed reading through the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th ed, as well as the fifth edition. While many of my fellow psych majors find these books cumbersome and confusing, I find them fascinating and even a little amusing. I don't really know why this is, and the only explanation is that I am indeed very weird.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
beebee216
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beebee216.html
Latest Review: "Braineater Jones" by Stephen Kozeniewski
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by beebee216 »

My favorite changes almost daily, but right now my absolute favorite is Raiders. It's the TRUE story of these two kids who got together and decided to make a shot for shot remake of Raiders of the lost arc. It was such an amazing book, that now all I want is to find where I can watch their movie! Seriously guys, check it out. (Raiders! by Alan Eisenstock)
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying" -Oscar Wilde
Latest Review: "Braineater Jones" by Stephen Kozeniewski
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

LivreAmour217 wrote:In college and beyond, I've actually enjoyed reading through the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th ed, as well as the fifth edition. While many of my fellow psych majors find these books cumbersome and confusing, I find them fascinating and even a little amusing. I don't really know why this is, and the only explanation is that I am indeed very weird.
I don't have the DSM's, but I love reading psych textbooks about mental disorders too!! Weirdness rules!
sagarverma
Favorite Author: William Shakespeare
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2482

Post by sagarverma »

After reading reviews, I bought Strange Evil by Jane Gaskell. This one is weird
varsha542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-varsha542.html

Post by varsha542 »

My favourite all time book is fifty shades of grey. Its not my favourite because of the obvious. Its because, i loved the way the character grey from his childhood to a billionaire and also by his transformation from 1st book to the 3rd one.
kristianwriting
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristianwriting.html

Post by kristianwriting »

amadams97 wrote:Perfect World by Brian James. He is a fantastic author, but I loved this book for more than just because it was a good book. His writing style is unique, and the format of the book was the first thing that interested me. His characters talk in italics and it was easy for me to skim over and make sure it was something I wanted to read. So what about you guys? Anything out there that you like for a reason other than (and because of) the good writing?
YAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSS, THIS BOOK.

Also Before Wings, by Beth Goobie. I've always loved the story, for some reason, even though I don't read much YA anymore.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

Mind if I jump in with a book that I don't like for a really weird reason? I was in the middle of reading Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth when I was pregnant with my first daughter and developed horrible morning sickness. I was so acutely aware of my nausea while I was reading that book that eventually I just had to give up. I never finished the book and to this day I can't look at it without feeling ill.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

ashley_claire wrote:Mind if I jump in with a book that I don't like for a really weird reason? I was in the middle of reading Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth when I was pregnant with my first daughter and developed horrible morning sickness. I was so acutely aware of my nausea while I was reading that book that eventually I just had to give up. I never finished the book and to this day I can't look at it without feeling ill.

That's beyone bizarre :lol: :lol: :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”