Audible ~ Official Review by jacnthabox

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kaln_mark2010
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaln-mark2010.html

Re: Audible ~ Official Review by jacnthabox

Post by Kaln_mark2010 »

Thank you! I tried out the free trial as well with two books that were great. I loved it because like you, I would listen to it while tidying the house or in the car to work but, and this is a big but, I couldn't get into it. The narrator couldn't describe the amount of emotion I thought the character was feeling if that makes sense. Audiobooks are sadly not for me either.
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

When you eventually decided to get the book to finish your second choice - Elantris by Brandon Sanderson - were you able to pick up where you left off on the audiobook without any problem? I mean in terms of retaining what you had listened to and transitioning smoothly back into the story. Picking up right where you left off, so to speak.

I often have a TV or music of some sort playing just for background noise while I'm doing some other activity at home and I don't really focus on it at all, my concern is that with an audiobook I would have a tendency to space out and not really be able to follow a storyline to any extent. Did you have any issues with that type of thing at all?
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

I went through a period, due to what were then inoperable cataracts, where I couldn't read so I listened. That went on for about 20 years and they finally were able to operate and I was enjoying audiobooks and, by then, Audible, so much that I had no interest in going back to reading. Then I got my first Kindle, mostly out of curiosity, and I haven't listened to a full book since. :)

Looking back at that time now I can't really see much difference in the pleasure I got from most audiobooks and the pleasure of reading on my own. I also think I retain as much either way. To me it's just another way to read, even though I don't do it much anymore.

I think you've mentioned the most important point about audiobooks; the narrator. There are good ones and bad ones and we each have to decide for ourselves which is which because everyone seems to have different views on that. So that means sometimes having to put up with a really bad narrator because the book is too good to abandon and that can make it a very uneven experience.

The other side of that is that sometimes you find a perfect match of narrator and audiobook and that can be a wonderful experience.

I don't think the best narrators are necessarily the best actors. Some actors I've really admired have been terrible narrators and some really mediocre actors have done great jobs with audiobooks. Some of the very best narrators are people I never heard of as actors.

Here are a couple of my suggestions for perfect narrator/book matches, in no particular order:
"Middlesex" narrated by Kristopher Tabori
"Beach Music" narrated by Frank Muller
"The Girl with the Pearl Earring" narrated by Jenna Lamia (probably the perfect example and maybe the best audiobook ever made)
"Empire Falls" narrated by Ron McLarty
"The Good Earth" narrated by George Guidall
Interestingly, Anthony Heald's narration of "The Good Earth" is almost as good.
[edit] I almost left out the best of them all, "Monsignor Quixote" narrated by Cyril Cussak. It's a gem[/end edit]

These are my favorites but be warned that tastes differ so much you might hate them. :)

The problem with audiobooks is often the narrator but sometimes they make them magic.

Barry
j p gilbert
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-p-gilbert.html
Latest Review: "An ABC of Prostate Cancer in 2015" by Alan G Lawrenson
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by j p gilbert »

A very thorough review. I have stayed away from audio books for the reasons you have mentioned above. I do feel justified. Great review.
Some say our future is written, mine must be in invisible ink.
Latest Review: "An ABC of Prostate Cancer in 2015" by Alan G Lawrenson
madelinexf
Currently Reading: Sweet Possession
Bookshelf Size: 66

Post by madelinexf »

I have tried Audible a few times. However, I find Audible have some useful things like when I need a book to be read soon for a class requirement or listen to the ones I can not find from other websites or public libraries. Now I just listen to audiobooks while I'm doing something else to keep company with through other resources that does not include a monthly payment.
Redhawk09
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redhawk09.html

Post by Redhawk09 »

Great review, thanks for the insight. I was very curious if it was worth it or just buy an audio book outright. I'm sure some of the options and features within the program are easier (such as bookmarking your place) than with just a regular recording of a book.
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

I do find the option with kindle to have an audio reading at a reduced rate attached a nice idea.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
enemyoftheday

Post by enemyoftheday »

what a great review. thanks for explaining it so thoroughly
burbnerd82
Currently Reading: The Club Dumas
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-burbnerd82.html

Post by burbnerd82 »

A very helpful review! I'm thinking Audible may not be for me since I love getting into the plots and characters and often read books that are not so main stream. I don't think I could handle a poorly narrated books as I am a very visual reader.
Freida Livery
Bookshelf Size: 2897
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Freida Livery »

I have been a member of Audible for about 7 years and have quite an extensive collection going. I tend to go with authors that have a series of books available. For example, J R Ward has 13 books in her Black Dagger Brotherhood series and all of them read by the same narrator. I probably wouldn't have read the physical copy of the books, but I love to listen to her books. I also purchase quite a few history books from Audible. Large, long books are (for me) easier to listen to. It helps that I have a job that lets me listen on my iPod.

There is one thing I particularly like about Audible. You can return a book if you don't like it. And you don't have to give a reason. Just return for a credit. I have only done this 3 times since I first joined so I don't abuse the policy. I have a gold annual membership which gives me 12 credits immediately, which comes to around 14.95/per book. I do have one criteria using my credits: I don't use them to purchase short recordings. I consider anything less then 10 hours to be a short recording.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with being a member and would recommend them.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”