Reading the Old Testament

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Wanton_Wordsmith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18985">The Fellowship of the Ring</a>
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanton-wordsmith.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Reading the Old Testament

Post by Wanton_Wordsmith »

I'm trying to understand the Bible, and I'm reading the Old Testament first. There is a lot in it that I don't understand. I would like to discuss it with other people, but most people who want to discuss the Bible are fundamentalists who want to evangelize to me. Has anyone here ever read parts or the entire OT? What did you think of it? I only read up t the Book of Leviticus, and it as a snore fest! How far along did other people get in the OT? What were some of your favorite parts?
Thank you!
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Yes, I've read it multiple times. If you are in Leviticus, you are reading the Law. Much of Leviticus-Deuteronomy can be rather pedantic. These books relate laws governing conduct, disease, crime & punishment, morality, sacrifices, festivals, purification, etc. This is, essentially, the codification of the Jewish religion. There are some events related therein as well, which occurred during Israel's 40-year sojourn in the wilderness after leaving Egypt. If you're looking for narrative and action, things get a little more interesting in Numbers.

I find the historical books (Genesis, Exodus, Joshua-Esther) quite interesting. Then you have the poetic books (Job, Psalms, Lamentations, Song of Solomon), the books of Solomon's wisdom (Proverbs, Ecclesiastes), and the prophetic books (Isaiah-Malachi). Depending on the translation, the poetic books can be easy or quite difficult to understand. A relatively good knowledge of Israel's history is needed to make much sense of the prophetic books. At the very least, it's helpful to know if the book is pre- or post-exilic (I'm speaking in the traditional sense, not according to higher criticism). The prophetic books can be tricky, as there is both history and prophecy sprinkled throughout.

For those not well acquainted with the Bible, the new New Testament is usually much easier to understand.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

You should get this book. It is called "Walking with God: A Journey Through the Bible" by Jeff Cavins. This is the book version of a video class I took through my church. He has a timeline he uses to walk you through the narrative books of the Bible, which was really helpful for me as I was new to the church and was having a lot of trouble getting beyond the begat, beget, begots. I think this was invaluable to me to get a background a playbook if you will.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read the Bible (old Testament). My favorites are the first books & the historical books . The language can be difficult at times and parts of the books are just laws. I agree with PashaRu's post.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Another good resource for understanding the Bible is Jim George's The Bare Bones Bible Handbook. The meanings behind each book in the Bible are broken down wonderfully and greatly enhance the reader's understanding of Scripture.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Eyre-thee-well
Favorite Author: Kate Morton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2881">Jane Eyre</a>
Currently Reading: Far From The Madding Crowd
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eyre-thee-well.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 4893

Post by Eyre-thee-well »

I love reading the Old Testament. It helps me understand the New Testament even better. I prefer the life of David and the kings under the United Kingdom and then the Divided Kingdom mostly found in both Samuels, both Kings and both Chronicles. A lot of great history in those books and life lessons from leaders who were successful and leaders who failed. Leviticus and Numbers can be tedious! And the Bible isn't like a lot of books so I think it's okay to skip around a bit if you need to. Maybe at some point you can go back to Leviticus.
“I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad—as I am now."
― Charlotte Brontë,Jane Eyre
rachel_tan
Currently Reading: Mastering Practical Criticism
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-tan.html

Post by rachel_tan »

As a Christian, going through books like Numbers and Leviticus is still rather difficult. I'll certainly check out the recommendations given by those earlier in the thread. Perhaps try The Message translation by Eugene Peterson? I quite enjoy reading that version. :)
bfbsinc
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by bfbsinc »

I have read a lot of the old testament as well, but not all of it! It is very long but I am only 29 so I have more time, Reading the bible can take years off and on. A lot of people don't realty sit down and read the bible until they are down and out and need help guidance or curiosity wondering about the great mysteries of life maybe? Like why are we conscious and exist and are aware of ourselves? and currently alive on this orb spinning around a ball of fire in a infinite space? It gets deep. A little of both of these and some other stuff is what motivated me to read and try to understand it. I read a lot when I was younger and didn't understand most, but the second time I a majority of the bible I was older and I understood a lot more of what I was reading. The bible has multi meanings, I believe that it is meant to be complex and simple at the same time. So don't feel to bad because nobody has fully understood the bible. Not todays scientist and highest scholars. Nobody.
Sarah Clay
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: Lost in the Wilderness
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-clay.html
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by Sarah Clay »

I've read through the entire Bible, and the Old Testament was exhausting. Especially Leviticus-Deuteronomy. My suggestion is this: turn on some Christian music. It really allows me to become in tune with God and do more than just read the Word. If you already know what happens in the New Testament, look for the prophecies. Look for meanings behind concepts. For example: Leviticus talks about the early laws for sacrifice, worship, and holiness. Why would God want us to know all this? To show us that it is impossible to be holy and complete on our own. (That's why we need Jesus.) So while you're cruising along through the books of law, keep the bigger picture in mind. Don't just read about the Jews weren't supposed to cook a goat in its mother's milk--read this and be thankful we're free from the law.

Also, I agree with the above replies about The Bare Bones Bible Handbook. It's an excellent resource.

My favorite part has to be Psalms. The idea that the words from thousands of years ago integrated into our music today astounds me. :)
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
bfbsinc
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by bfbsinc »

I found something very interesting about psalms that I think is incredible and exponentially impossible so im going to copy and paste it here Powerful stuff Did you know that:

1)Psalm 118 is the middle chapter of the entire Bible?

2)Psalm 117,
before Psalm 118 is the shortest chapter in the Bible?

3)Psalm 119,
after Psalm 118 is the longest chapter in the Bible?

4)The Bible has 594 chapters before Psalm 118 and 594 chapters after Psalm 118?

5)If you add up all the chapters except Psalm 118, you get a total of 1188 chapters.

6)1188 or Psalm 118 verse 8 is the middle verse of the entire Bible?
Should the central verse not have a fairly important message?

"It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man." - Psalm 118:8

Is this central verse not also the central theme of the entire Bible?

(Or for you legalists who look up Psalm 118 and find out it has 29 verses, perhaps verses 14 and 15 are the center of the Bible)

"The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. Shouts of joy and victory resound in the tents of the righteous."
Psalm 118:14,15
Momlovesbooks
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I have read the Bible through several times and in different translations. I always get bogged down in the same area of the books of law. If you're not familiar with the Bible, you could read portions of the New Testament along with your Old Testament readings. The New Testament is usually easier to understand. You could also try reading a chronological Bible. The books of the Bible are placed in chronological order so it makes it easier to understand when the events actually took place (as opposed to grouping by History, Law, etc.)
Jazmin17
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades Darker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazmin17.html

Post by Jazmin17 »

Old testament is difficult to read. I'm in the process of becoming a catholic and the amount of references and stories I have to read from the bible is crazy.
sacha_arrak
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sacha-arrak.html
Reading Device: B00K2O4TI8

Post by sacha_arrak »

The basic stories of the Old Testament are all I am familiar with. Sadly, I have never read that set of books -- the Old Testament -- cover to cover.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

One of the best ways that I have found to help both understand the Bible better and to bring it more to life, is to have a good study Bible to read. I personally recommend the John MacArthur study Bible, which you can get in many different translations. http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/ ... ch=1&cms=1
Using the notes throughout really help to get into the Bible and its people and happenings, and also to glean a deeper understanding of the LORD's inspired Word. I hope this is helpful! Blessings! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
iolande
Currently Reading: Shut Up Already!
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iolande.html
Latest Review: "Nobody to Somebody" by Limaonen Imchen
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by iolande »

I tried reading the entire Old Testament but found some parts of it really challenging. Classes in church dedicated to the study of the Old Testament help me. Through the help of the teacher and other class members, I get to breeze through the parts that I cannot bear to read (like genealogy, statistics and the laws) and I get to know which parts I find interesting to read on my own.
Latest Review: "Nobody to Somebody" by Limaonen Imchen

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”