Audible ~ Official Review by Thimble

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Re: Audible ~ Official Review by Thimble

Post by CzechTigg »

They are a very decent service, if you have the time and money to get and play one thing after another. However since I have a backlog of audio books and also radio to listen to on iplayer it can be hard to commit to audible, so for now I don't subscribe. I can only listen to stuff i bought when still a member.
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

CzechTigg wrote:They are a very decent service, if you have the time and money to get and play one thing after another. However since I have a backlog of audio books and also radio to listen to on iplayer it can be hard to commit to audible, so for now I don't subscribe. I can only listen to stuff i bought when still a member.
Hi Czech,
I agree that time and money are definitely a factor. If you already have a backlog of books to listen to then the service would be redundant and somewhat costly. I'm sure it will still be up for a long time though, so it's a great option for when you finish all of the books. :)
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Reme726
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reme726.html

Post by Reme726 »

One challenge I faced with audible was that I just didn't like the voice of some of the narrators so I couldn't get into the book , like the Charlie Brown teacher syndrome
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html

Post by CzechTigg »

Thimble wrote:
CzechTigg wrote:They are a very decent service, if you have the time and money to get and play one thing after another. However since I have a backlog of audio books and also radio to listen to on iplayer it can be hard to commit to audible, so for now I don't subscribe. I can only listen to stuff i bought when still a member.
Hi Czech,
I agree that time and money are definitely a factor. If you already have a backlog of books to listen to then the service would be redundant and somewhat costly. I'm sure it will still be up for a long time though, so it's a great option for when you finish all of the books. :)
The sheer range is terrific. Of course some people cheat and use youtube, which is just inevitable in the online era. Not that you can't find great reads by non-famous narrators with just a small advert every now and again.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

Nice review, I might try this out, but I'm not sure if I can do novels. I think I'll try Escapeartist's suggestion and try motivational books, or marketing books.
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
pratap_km
Currently Reading: London
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pratap-km.html

Post by pratap_km »

Another good option is librivox where they have a number of audio books which are out of the copyright. Initially I was also apprehensive about the audio books. But now I am really enjoying it. Though you won't get the new books, for classics it it is a good option. My commute time to office which is around 2.5 hours also helps. I will try Audible soon.
doyle5
Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doyle5.html

Post by doyle5 »

I tried listening to books..but it doesn't have the same feel to it. If I want to listen to something, I'll usually listen to music or a pod caste. At work I usually listen to mental floss:)
ebfielder
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebfielder.html
Latest Review: "Tick" by Allison Rose

Post by ebfielder »

I use audible every day. The app for my phone lets me sync right to my car and listen all day! I highly recommend!
Latest Review: "Tick" by Allison Rose
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

ebfielder wrote:I use audible every day. The app for my phone lets me sync right to my car and listen all day! I highly recommend!
That's awesome! Do you drive a lot? I don't really drive enough to make it worth it and I'd also have to upgrade my car's audio system. It's really old. lol
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Hackwerm

Post by Hackwerm »

Nice review! I, too, am more of a traditional reader. While I have a kindle, I still prefer hard copy books to read. Audiobooks are one thing I have never tried, but with a deal like two free books, I am certainly tempted! I think I'd have the same issue you did, however, and find that I wouldn't pay enough attention to the story if I wasn't cleaning the house or something. I will definitely be looking into at least trying the free trial! Thanks!
kyranthis
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyranthis.html

Post by kyranthis »

Do you find it hard to find an audio book whose voice didn't bother you? I love the classics, but the people reading always get on my nerves after awhile
LovelyMonroe
Currently Reading: Pines (Wayward Pines Triology, Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 81

Post by LovelyMonroe »

Thank you Thimble. You did a great job reviewing Audible. I like listening to audiobooks sometimes. I have a few books from Audible. My favorite is The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith

Post by Shelle »

Great review of a great service! I love listening to audiobooks in the car and appreciate Audible's wide selection and availability of new books. I only have it on my phone and didn't realize it kept your place between devices, so thanks for that tip.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Alylynn317
Currently Reading: Every Last Word
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alylynn317.html

Post by Alylynn317 »

I agree, if you don't have the right time to listen to them, you might not get the most use out of it. I listen to them while driving or jogging, which I do both of a significant amount of time during the weeks, so it is worth it for me. I personally love audible. I have tried other free services but I find audible has more young adult fiction or new releases, which I prefer, as it is easier to listen to something that really interests me vs. something that might be good, but hard to keep my focus on. With audio books it is very easy to start day dreaming and miss some of the content, without meaning to. I do find audible to be expensive, so I usually put my account on hold every once in a while if I am not going through books as fast as I might have been. You can also return books if you don't like them or don't like the voice. The narrators is also a finicky thing. I have had some books where I just can not stand the narrator or others where the narrators are AMAZING. I do the sample first before I buy to help weed out the narrators I might not like, so I don't buy those books.
Rhoe_Marrow
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhoe-marrow.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Rhoe_Marrow »

I get nervous with subscriptions because I am afraid I won't use the app enough to justify the monthly cost

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”