Audible ~ Official Review by Thimble

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Audible ~ Official Review by Thimble

Post by Thimble »

[Following is Thimble's official OnlineBookClub.org review of Audible.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Audible.com is an Amazon company that provides audiobooks for a monthly fee as well as a separate price for each book. If the following review entices you to try out this product, you can sign up for a 30-day free trial that includes credits for any two free books. There is a wonderfully wide variety of books to choose from. You can download the audible app on many devices so it’s very accessible for readers on the go. The app runs very smoothly. While I thought this program was great overall, there were a few personal hitches that would keep me from keeping the membership, but I will go over those.

If you choose to do the trial (which you definitely should), it’s easy to pick out your two books. Your Amazon.com account will link to Audible.com, so if you already have an Amazon account, it’s very easy to sign in. Once you have your free trial account set up, just pick two books and it will automatically use your two credits (one per book) instead of charging you money. You do need to add a valid payment option in order to get the free trial. There are over 180,000 books to choose from, but it recommends books for you and has the various genres organized so it’s easy to browse through your options. There are even foreign languages books available. As well as English, Audible has books in Spanish, German, French, Italian, and Russian.

Once you pick out your books, you need to download the app. The app is available for iPhone, Android, Windows (7, Vista, XP, 2000, and Windows based handheld devices), and Mac OS X (and above). I downloaded the Audible app on my phone and tablet. Both are Android. According to Audible’s website, there is a limit on how many devices you can activate Audible on. It can be activated on up to four computers (laptops, PCs, or Macs), and up to 3 devices of each type. The types consist of Sandisk, Garmin, and Wireless. More thorough information regarding this can be found at Audible.com.

I almost completely used the app on my tablet. I only downloaded it on my phone to see if it would save my progress in the book when I switched devices. It definitely did. I paused it on my tablet and opened it on my phone. Because the account saves your spot, it works seamlessly. It also asked me if I wanted to continue from that spot. The app is very simple to use. The pause/play button is large and noticeable. You can rewind or skip ahead 30 seconds. In the book menu, you can see how many chapters there are, which chapter you’re on, and how long each chapter is. The number of the current chapter, the chapter’s progress, and the chapter’s length is also labeled at the top of the screen. Most importantly, the app is very nice to battery life. The battery on my tablet didn't start dying for at least five hours.

I don’t normally listen to audiobooks, so I tried to review it from the “traditional reader” perspective. At first I had a really hard time listening and truly hearing the book because I tune out voices very easily. I found I had to do chores like the dishes, cooking, or other things that didn't keep my thoughts busy. It was really great for that and made those chores more interesting. Another unexpected plus was that it helped me fall asleep. The narrators for the books have very soothing, clear voices. They also speak at a steady pace that isn't too fast or slow. I never had to rewind to catch something that was said. I didn't try it out this way, but I’m sure the app would be good for long car rides or working out at the gym.

In conclusion, I won’t be keeping the membership to Audible.com, but I would suggest it to try out (You get two free books! Who doesn’t want that?). I think audiobook lovers would thoroughly enjoy this product. Audiobooks are just not for me, but they may be for you! I rate this audiobook program 4 out of 4 stars.

Click here to sign up for a free trial of Audible

Like Thimble's review? Post a comment saying so!
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke

Post by Levi »

Great review!! I did the same thing,i got a membership and a couple of books and then cancelled after that. I listen to them on the way to work. Think and grow rich and how to win friends and influence people. Great books that put you in a great mindset. I don't think I could listen to a novel though on the way to work and thus the cancellation but a great service nonetheless!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Thimble
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>

Post by Thimble »

Thanks! I'm really glad you liked the review. I think I would have kept the service, but I would just not use it enough.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Post by NadineTimes10 »

I'm not sure that I'd ever get to the place where I'd enjoy listening to books. But then, I didn't think I'd ever read ebooks either, and now I do. Some review ebooks, anyway. (Though I still highly prefer print books!) I may wind up giving audio books a try one day, if I've got a little extra time on my hands.
Thimble

Post by Thimble »

NadineTimes10 wrote:I'm not sure that I'd ever get to the place where I'd enjoy listening to books. But then, I didn't think I'd ever read ebooks either, and now I do. Some review ebooks, anyway. (Though I still highly prefer print books!) I may wind up giving audio books a try one day, if I've got a little extra time on my hands.
I really just don't have time to sit and listen to a book. It would be distracting if I were trying to do something else at the same time. I did find that it helped me fall asleep, so if it were a free service I might consider using it as a sleep aid. 8)
sagarverma
Favorite Author: William Shakespeare
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2482

Post by sagarverma »

Superb great book with great rating by its customers
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! Audible sounds like a good service, although I prefer reading vs. listening to books.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Eyre-thee-well
Favorite Author: Kate Morton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2881">Jane Eyre</a>
Currently Reading: Far From The Madding Crowd
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eyre-thee-well.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 4893

Post by Eyre-thee-well »

I started listening to Audible when one of my favorite free books for Kindle site advertised a free $10 credit without having to join. I've had the opportunity to take advantage of that 2 or 3 times. I go right for the classics because they are usually priced the least and I have been able to get 2 or 3 with the credit. I never thought I would ever listen to a book, but I have found that I really enjoy them. Still not quite as enjoyable as reading, but when I am doing housework, they are the perfect companion. Most of the audio books have been great. I really enjoy the narration on many of them. There have been one or two, (usually male narrators for me) whose voices are so low that even with my volume turned way up on my Kindle, I can barely hear it. I have been tempted to try the 30 day membership, but am still undecided.
Thimble

Post by Thimble »

Eyre-thee-well wrote:I started listening to Audible when one of my favorite free books for Kindle site advertised a free $10 credit without having to join. I've had the opportunity to take advantage of that 2 or 3 times. I go right for the classics because they are usually priced the least and I have been able to get 2 or 3 with the credit. I never thought I would ever listen to a book, but I have found that I really enjoy them. Still not quite as enjoyable as reading, but when I am doing housework, they are the perfect companion. Most of the audio books have been great. I really enjoy the narration on many of them. There have been one or two, (usually male narrators for me) whose voices are so low that even with my volume turned way up on my Kindle, I can barely hear it. I have been tempted to try the 30 day membership, but am still undecided.
I would say give it a try. It's very easy to cancel the subscription if you change your mind. Also, you get two free books!

~Thimble
katejones

Post by katejones »

I found audible many years ago and I am addicted to audio books. They have the best selection out there and if you are a member there are daily deals and monthly sales/deals that intake advantage of. I listen to them in the car, while playing games on my computer and out for a run. Some of the readers are absolutely amazing and they make it feel like you are there with them in the story.
desertmeanderings
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desertmeanderings.html

Post by desertmeanderings »

Great review. Do you find that all the books you want to read are available on audible?
Thimble

Post by Thimble »

desertmeanderings wrote:Great review. Do you find that all the books you want to read are available on audible?
I honestly didn't really check when I wrote this review initially. I just checked Audible.com right now and the first three series that I checked are all on there. That's over 30 books already :). So, I don't know about all of the books I would like to read (this number keeps going up), but it looks like a large portion at least are on there.

~Thimble
visa2emirates

Post by visa2emirates »

Thanks, nice post.
iluvbubbles
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iluvbubbles.html

Post by iluvbubbles »

WOW! Great review. Thank you for such an informative review.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

I have been playing with the idea of checking out Audible, but I am still on the fence. I am not sure if I would like listening to a book, I am afraid I might fall asleep and lose part of the book.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”