A one off book or a series?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Charlotte_danielle
Currently Reading: The Pillars of the Earth
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-danielle.html

Re: A one off book or a series?

Post by Charlotte_danielle »

My favorite series has to be The Legend of Drizzt by R.A. Salvatore. I absolutely love those characters and his writing throughout. I am very glad all the books are out aince it is actaully on my father read sincw the beginning so a span of 20-25 years. However, in a general sense, I like 1 and done books, it gets me through the story quick and I won't get tired of it. I also like trilogies. 1 book and trilogies for me. Otherwise there is the chance that I will get tired, no matter how amazing, of the story. It's also a commitment thing, if I start a large series, it must me completed!!
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

I enjoy both. Sometimes a book can get the job done with one book to tell the story and it would completely satisfying other times books utilize cliff hangers and develop the story past the initial event and need additional books and that's great too. When I start a series though I tend to NEED to finish it, though there have been times I started a series, got halfway through and it lost its momentum. So I guess it all depends.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
sarahpayne23
Currently Reading: 1Q84
Bookshelf Size: 1016
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahpayne23.html
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk

Post by sarahpayne23 »

I tend to read quickly, so I much prefer series to stand alone books. I like to get to know my characters over time and in this way, they become real to me. Some of the series I have read and enjoyed are by Diana Gabaldon, Diane Mott Davidson, Evonavich, and Tom Clancy.
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cogarae »

I love series but once in a while I like a book that is it's own. But I do tend to mainly read series
simplysara
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplysara.html

Post by simplysara »

That's a tough one to answer. On one hand, I agree with you and prefer serials, for the same reasons the Original Poster mentioned. On the other hand, sometimes I want to move on and read other books that someone has recommended, but I feel like I need to finish the series I'm on first. It's a double edged sword for me!
JoeysTiger37
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JoeysTiger37 »

I really enjoy a good series as well, however, I discovered Brad Meltzer about five or six years ago, and he has made me more open to single stories. His characters are so well written, and although many characters return in different facets of other novels, they aren't main characters typically. While he closes his books and characters very well, it is nice to run into them in another novel for a page or two and feel like you've run into an old friend. Happy to see them, but ready to move on. :tiphat:
Slytherin_gurl
Favorite Book: I'll Point to Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slytherin-gurl.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Slytherin_gurl »

I rather read a series rather than a off book. I like to read and read forever, if I could!!! :shhh:
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I don't think I prefer one over the other because sometimes a series can start of great but end up being a chore to finish and sometimes stand alone books are amazing and perfectly wrapped up by the time you finish the last page.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

I don't mind either way, but I like to be very cautious with series. Great series were written by: Patricia Cornwell (Kay Scarpetta), L.A. Banks (Vampire Huntress), Karen Moning ( Fever Series), Lara Adrian (Midnight Breed). Then there's the stuff that I kick myself for selecting. A one off is accepted for however it ended, but a bad series is a an Unforgivable mistake :)
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I'm reading more stand alone books than I ever have, so it's pretty equal, recently.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
dbryantsimmons
Currently Reading: Voyager
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by dbryantsimmons »

Yes! I love series for all the same reasons. I'm currently reading two series (Jack Reacher and Outlander). But there's a drawback to series reads, you can't help comparing the books and eventually you get disappointed. Although, I have yet to be disappointed by Outlander. It's truly rare to come across a series that stays consistent in all the important ways but keeps you guessing from book to book.
read-by-Theresa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by read-by-Theresa »

I love a series. I have to say though that each book needs to be a stand alone book. I find authors that leave you hanging before telling the complete story to be practically dishonest. A series is great if it is just a continuation of the story with one characters life going in a different direction. When a book purposely doesn't have an ending so that you have to buy the next book I refuse to buy the next book on principal alone.
ubbah12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ubbah12.html

Post by ubbah12 »

It really depends on the author. Sometimes I love the first book and then I am DONE with the concept of the novel. Other books, like Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling for example, I can read those series over and over again.
Prisaneify
Currently Reading: Try Not To Breathe
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisaneify.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Prisaneify »

I have so many series going right now that I feel like I want to shove them all out the window! Okay, no not really, but it makes me feel guilty if I just abandon the series. I've been wanting to abandon the Steph Plum series for at least 2 books now. I enjoy both but if you end up getting caught in the middle of 15 different series novels, that one off standalone is a treat. I don't want to feel like I'm just breezing through the story so I always have to read different books in-between series books.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Lycaonia

Post by Lycaonia »

I have read millions of books, and I have to say that Patricia Briggs is the only author in the world where I've enjoyed every one of her books that I've read. She is my role model in the writing world.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”