What is the worst thing you've done to a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Re: What is the worst thing you've done to a book?

Post by CrescentMoon »

I drew on many books with colored markers when I was a kid
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
rockandroll
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 772">Bleak House</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by rockandroll »

I just threw my book across the room. The Silence by Tim Lebbon is good so far but this one character made such a dumb decision.It doesn't make any sense.
cdoudz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cdoudz »

I have a 40min commute to school, so sometimes when I don't have readings or things to study for I bring my own book to read on the bus. I brought one with me and ripped the cover right in half.... I don't look at it anymore. It makes me so sad when I look at it.
sadya
Favorite Book: Too many to name 1.
Currently Reading: Too many to name them all.

Post by sadya »

I have sinned terribly, though I'm not very sorry about it as I've sinned against maths books. I threw them in the bin.

Now that I think further, I also threw away some non-fiction, figuring the information in them was too old now, we had new knowledge so giving these away, would only teach people what was now untruth. I wish I would have kept some of them as you can re-use old books for various creative activities.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I've had to learn to be careful with my books because of my cats. They don't just scratch books--if you know cats, you probably know some of their other options ;-)
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Winters

Post by Winters »

well when i was still in school i got a bunch of books from the library, however there was 2 issues.

1. i had to walk home

2. it started raining

i thought they would be safe in my bag but when i got home the books were "mush"
rockandroll
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 772">Bleak House</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by rockandroll »

sadya wrote:I have sinned terribly, though I'm not very sorry about it as I've sinned against maths books. I threw them in the bin.

Now that I think further, I also threw away some non-fiction, figuring the information in them was too old now, we had new knowledge so giving these away, would only teach people what was now untruth. I wish I would have kept some of them as you can re-use old books for various creative activities.
How could you? :D I like math.

Of course I know not many people do like it!
Vivisbooks
Currently Reading: Shadow Kiss
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivisbooks.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Vivisbooks »

Hm... I consider these two to be just as bad. I spilled coffee on one book and threw another at the wall three times, then my dog bit it.
sadya
Favorite Book: Too many to name 1.
Currently Reading: Too many to name them all.

Post by sadya »

rockandroll wrote:
How could you? :D I like math.

Of course I know not many people do like it!
Sorry, next time I'll send maths books to you then. :lol:
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I dropped a book down the stairs once and the front cover ripped in half. Taped it up but it was never the same again. But it's one of my favourites so that won't stop me reading it :)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Sarah Penney
Favorite Author: Tom Clancy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-penney.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 7289

Post by Sarah Penney »

The worst thing I've done to a book is accidentally spilled nail polish remover on it. I had to let it air dry because I was worried that a hairdryer would make it worse. Needless to say, I have learned not to try and read and do my nails at the same time.
"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." -Abraham Lincoln
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

One of the worst things I ever did to a book was drop one into the bottom of a boat. I was fishing and had borrowed this Steven King novel from a friend to take with me. I felt terrible, because I had ruined his book. He was obsessive about taking care of even his paperbacks, and embossed his initials on each book's front page. I bought him a new copy but I don't think I was ever completely forgiven.
countrychick201389
Currently Reading: true beliver
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-countrychick201389.html

Post by countrychick201389 »

I think the worst thing I've ever done to a book is bend the top of the pages over to remind me where I stopped. now I buy bookmarks.
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

The worst thing was probably to draw in it. But I've made this as a child... so...
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html

Post by Booky_BettyC »

Hmmmm. . .Not gonna tell the story but I've burned a couple books. I have also thrown two in the garbage because they were horrible.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”