Audible ~ Official Review by csimmons032

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
KingOfTheAce
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingoftheace.html

Re: Audible ~ Official Review by csimmons032

Post by KingOfTheAce »

csimmons032 wrote:I feel like I should let every one know that responded to this review, that my dad was still charged even though I cancelled the account over a month ago. This still doesn't change my opinions of the service, but I just wanted to warn you that if you start it and don't like it, it might be difficult to quit. It's not impossible, but just be careful with it. Aside from that, I still enjoyed Audible.
You would be suprised how often this happens. Upgrading a service, takes a few minutes of your time. Downgrading or quiting a service is a pain in the ... to do so.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Geez, no kidding. I always try to use PayPal for recurring services (albeit Amazon doesn't do PayPal), because if you go in to your recurring charges in your PayPal acct, you can just cancel one and that's that.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Well I am glad that you guys are at least aware of the situation. I still hope Audible works out for you guys so that you don't have to cancel.
DaniMnv
Currently Reading: Prince Lestat
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danimnv.html
Latest Review: "Afterworld" by Michael James Ploof

Post by DaniMnv »

Great review! I enjoy my Kindle App and Audible App on my iPhone and laptop. If you purchase a kindle book on Amazon usually the Audible equivalent is discounted because of the purchase. I usually buy both when it's an awesome book or favorite series. Audible is really exciting when you find a favorite narrator or two. On the flip side of that, you also run the risk of getting a terrible narrator as well. However, you are allowed to return a book if it was unbearable. I listen to my favorites over and over again.
Latest Review: "Afterworld" by Michael James Ploof
csimmons032

Post by csimmons032 »

Thank you DaniMnv for responding to my post. I am glad that you enjoy Audible :)
akuvaja
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akuvaja.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by akuvaja »

I agree that Audible is great when combined with the Amazon Prime Account because you do get the free credit each month and that credit can be used for a book of any price. I always try to get the most of my free credit and get one of the newer books. I also use Overdrive, which uses libraries to let you listen to free audiobooks, but you only have them for 2 weeks or 4 if you renew and this doesn't work well for long books like The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I have taken this book out 4 times and I am not done due to its immense length. Audible on the other hand lets you keep the audiobooks and download them onto any device you want.
msmail12
Favorite Author: Allyson James
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmail12.html
Latest Review: "The Road to Round Mountain" by C.G. Roberts
fav_author_id: 8178

Post by msmail12 »

I love the whispersync feature of audible because when you buy kindle eBooks with that optional feature, they give you a deal on the audio companion and then the two function literally in sync, which can be determined by listening or reading speed. Then if you choose to just listen to the audio in the car, you can pick up where you left off with the book when you park because it has your spot. Other than that, the audio part really isn't my thing either.
Latest Review: "The Road to Round Mountain" by C.G. Roberts
voilette83
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-voilette83.html

Post by voilette83 »

SparklingOne wrote:Nice review but wanted to let you know that there are a few other ways to enjoy Audible. With an Amazon Prime account you can get a free Audible book credit each month. I usually try to pair my free credit with whatever Kindle book I am reading that month. This allows me to listen only (in the car), read only, or enjoy immersion reading (which I think is a pretty cool experience) depending on your mood. I have to agree that I probably wouldn't use the Audible service on its own very much. When you consider these extra options, it might make that Audible account a little more attractive.
How do you pair this with your Prime account? I love listening to my book while driving, and immersion reading as well. I would love to do this without it costing an arm and a leg.
minderly
Currently Reading: Prototype
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minderly.html
Latest Review: "Omega Pathogen" by J.G. Hicks, Jr.

Post by minderly »

I get audiobooks from the library so I can listen to books at work...just another idea instead of audible.
Latest Review: "Omega Pathogen" by J.G. Hicks, Jr.
csimmons032

Post by csimmons032 »

Thank you akuvaja, msmail12, voilette83, and minderly for responding to my review. I am happy that you enjoyed it. I am also glad that so many of you enjoy the audible program or something similar to it. Reading is always a pleasure, no matter if you are doing the reading or someone is reading to you :)
Michelle-lit
Currently Reading: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-lit.html
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor

Post by Michelle-lit »

I was wondering if I was the only one who couldn't concentrate just listening to an audio book. I usually have to have the book in front of me too. I probably won't be using this service, but I will pass the information on. Thanks for the review
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor
csimmons032

Post by csimmons032 »

Michelle-lit, I completely understand what you mean about the audio books. When I tried to listen to the audio book I had gotten from Audible, I couldn't stand it lol. That doesn't reflect onto the program itself though, although it did upset me that they didn't cancel my account. It just bugged me to have someone reading to me. It got in the way of things I usually do when I am reading a book as well. For example, I usually like to see how many pages are in the next chapter when I finish a chapter, which I couldn't do with this. So I prefer either the original paper formats, or my kindle app. Thank you so much for responding to my review, and I am glad that you liked it :)
2scrmbld4wrds
2024 Reading Goal: 36
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by 2scrmbld4wrds »

Great review, I agree it was an easy app and the books that I listened to during my free trial were well done. I am generally only an audio books fan while driving long distances, so the paying for the program wouldn't be worth it to me as I only do road trips maybe 2-3 times a year. and there's something about hearing the book read in your inner voice that's just something special, you know?
beebee216
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beebee216.html
Latest Review: "Braineater Jones" by Stephen Kozeniewski
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by beebee216 »

Great review! I'm not really a fan of audio books. But I'm happy to know the ease of use, in case I decide to give it a chance :) I also agree that it is a wonderful service for those who are blind.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying" -Oscar Wilde
Latest Review: "Braineater Jones" by Stephen Kozeniewski
sagarverma
Favorite Author: William Shakespeare
fav_author_id: 2482

Post by sagarverma »

Reading reviews I got excited to have it

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”