Audible ~ Official Review by csimmons032

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Re: Audible ~ Official Review by csimmons032

Post by csimmons032 »

Thank you 2scrmbld4wrds, beebee216, and sagarverma for responding to my review. I agree that I am not an audio book fan. However, I don't have a reason to use them either. I am glad that you guys enjoyed my review :)
Garzad
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garzad.html

Post by Garzad »

I have used audible extensively over the years as my previous job had on the road a lot. I especially enjoy the military and historical genres.
Lady-Morgana1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-morgana1.html

Post by Lady-Morgana1 »

Right now I'm listening to two old audio books: "Fall Into Darkness" (Christopher Pike) from Harper Audio & "Just Cause" (John Katzenbach), which was a movie. Both of these I've had for a while and just now found them again. And both are on cassettes, so its good I have a cassette player.
mmallory
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmallory.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by mmallory »

This was a really well-done review! I actually love listening to books while I'm in the car (I have an hour commute each way) and sometimes even when I'm running. However, I understand that some people simply don't enjoy it. I definitely get my moneys worth from Audible!
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Garzad, I am glad that you enjoy Audible and I can see how it can be useful when you are on the road a lot. Thank you Garzad, Lady-Morgana1, and mmallory for reading my review and responding to it. I am glad that you enjoyed it and that you all enjoy audiobooks. I can't say that I am a fan, but I can see how they can be useful in a lot of cases.
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

SparklingOne wrote:Nice review but wanted to let you know that there are a few other ways to enjoy Audible. With an Amazon Prime account you can get a free Audible book credit each month. I usually try to pair my free credit with whatever Kindle book I am reading that month. This allows me to listen only (in the car), read only, or enjoy immersion reading (which I think is a pretty cool experience) depending on your mood. I have to agree that I probably wouldn't use the Audible service on its own very much. When you consider these extra options, it might make that Audible account a little more attractive.
Thanks for pointing that out! I have Amazon prime but I had no idea it came with that. I might have to check audible out now. :)
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:Nice review. I've never heard of audible and definitely prefer reading a book myself but my husband would much rather listen to a book than read so I may check it out. Thanks for the review.
Yeah, some just don't care for looking at text on a page and prefer a skilful narrator who can do both the prose and dialogue to a reasonable standard. I used to love listening to unabridged books but it feels like a lifetime ago.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

mmallory wrote:This was a really well-done review! I actually love listening to books while I'm in the car (I have an hour commute each way) and sometimes even when I'm running. However, I understand that some people simply don't enjoy it. I definitely get my moneys worth from Audible!

Excellent review.

Vermont Reviews
Brit_Jewell
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brit-jewell.html

Post by Brit_Jewell »

I love getting books from Audible. I usually listen to them when I am running/walking. It is better than listening to music for me because I get bored of the same music all of the time. There are so many books to choose from. Some books are better to listen to than others of course, based on the narrator and book itself.
kathrynr_5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathrynr-5.html

Post by kathrynr_5 »

I was going to try the audible feature from kindle with the first installment of the Fifty Shades of Grey series. The book itself had two options narrated by Christian Grey or by Anastasia Steele. When reading a book, there has to be feeling in it, and the monotone that these two put off would have put me to sleep. I'm not a fan of audible for this reason. If you going to pick a narrator, pick one with some voice reflection that can read more than just a hum drum monotone voice. This completely turned me off to the book and I decided in the end just to download and read it myself. Has anyone else ever had this problem?
EricLee
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 09">Empire Falls</a>
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericlee.html

Post by EricLee »

Thanks for the review csimmons032. I've seen their commercials many times and have always been curious how it works and if would actually be worth. I think I'll definitely take advantage of the free trial you talked about.

I'll also say that YouTube has a plethora of audiobooks - most of which are in the public domain (100 years, I believe?). Regardless, I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys old classics - sometimes hearing someone else reading gives you a different perspective on the book...I know it has for me.
Joyful
Currently Reading: The Quantum Mind and Healing
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyful.html

Post by Joyful »

Thanks to all of you for the reviews. I have a crafting business and frankly there is so much garbage on tv and movies that I have been looking for another way to multi task. I'm not a huge fan of audio books but it sounds like it will be worth it even just to have something different to listen to and possibly learn something while crafting.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”