Fantasy and experience we lack

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
VolkodavKO
Bookshelf Size: 0

Fantasy and experience we lack

Post by VolkodavKO »

I believe that two out of many reasons why we read the fiction thrillers is 1. the lack of own fantasy (we are not able to think up own stories that would satisfy us more than those made up by the writers) and 2. the lack of experiences (our life is so poor that what we read we find much more thrilling).

But I have to share my personal observation. There were years in which I lived such a thrilling life, that at those times I did not watch the TV, I did not watch movies, I did not read. Those days were hot: one day my dog brought down a man, other day someone put a gun to my head, another day we were fighting, another day we were shooting, another day we were talking to "ghosts" (please avoid that by all means!), another day there was a car accident etc. However, when my life was calm, I had been watching movies and read much more. Do you understand?

ATTENTION: Experiencing of thrilling and dangerous situations bears the risk of injury, so that it is not recommended to risk. Better is to live a calm life. REALLY!
JGannaban
Currently Reading: Carswell's Guide to Being Lucky
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgannaban.html
Latest Review: "Their Twisted Worlds: A Collection Of Stories" by Adam Scopp

Post by JGannaban »

That is a very interesting point that you bring up. Yes, a lot of people do read to escape the dullness of daily life, but not all. Reading fiction thrillers allow people to escape the calm without actually putting their lives at risk. I remember watching a documentary on the National Geographic Channel about thrill rides and horror and the human body's reaction to the scare. As a reaction to the stress, the body releases endorphins, dopamine and norepinephrine that give a natural high. The same applies to reading thriller fiction. Personally, I read regardless of whether my life is thrilling or calm.
Latest Review: "Their Twisted Worlds: A Collection Of Stories" by Adam Scopp
IcemanCometh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by IcemanCometh »

We read books as a means to escape, to take a journey and live the adventure of the protagonist. We share stories with others so as to share our experiences. Regardless if someone lives a seemingly "dull" or uneventful life, they have "experiences" and no doubt shares those with others. As fantastic as some of the lives and adventures the characters we read about seems to be, rest assured that whenever they are not being chased by some psycho-murderer or post-apocalyptic zombie, then their lives are probably just as boring and uneventful as the rest of us.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I read stories more for universal truths and putting words to feelings I cannot explain as eloquently. I enjoy the "what if."
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I've always been an avid reader, regardless of my circumstances. Reading is something that I do to relax, primarily.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”