Russian Literature - help, please!

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
debbiebee
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 4

Russian Literature - help, please!

Post by debbiebee »

I would love some advice from any of your experts out there. I love many Russian books (though, sorry, I struggle with War and Peace whilst adoring Anna Karenina!) and have read and enjoyed Turgenev especially, but I have to confess I'm not the type of reader who only likes classics and would like to try something lighter, maybe more recent, such as a crime novel or historical fiction. But unfortunately I don't read Russian, though I speak a tiny bit and it would have to be in translation. As I translate myself (from German) I'm aware of the mild hypocrisy of expressing that regret. But would any Russo-Biblio-Philes help me out with suggestions.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

You might try Alexander Pushkin, Ivan Krylov (fables), or short story writer Anton Chekhov. I believe all of Chekhov's short stories as well as Krylov's fables can be found online.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

An active member of this forum used to live in Russia. I wonder if @PashaRu would have any suggestions? 8)
Wars of Words
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wars-of-words.html

Post by Wars of Words »

Not quite sure if this is what you are going for, but Crime and Punishment by Dostoïevski is a good one.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Wars of Words wrote:Not quite sure if this is what you are going for, but Crime and Punishment by Dostoïevski is a good one.
Oh yeah, he's a kind of common one too, huh? I don't know how I forgot about him!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”