What book first introduced you to Sci-Fi or Fantasy books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
maurynna36
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maurynna36.html

What book first introduced you to Sci-Fi or Fantasy books?

Post by maurynna36 »

What book first introduced you to Sci-Fi and/or Fantasy and made you fall in love with the entire genre?

Mine were the Tom Swift Jr. books. I inherated them from my father and fell in love with all of them. Going back and reading them now as an adult shows how poorly they have aged, but they still get the credit for developing my love for the genre.
Chris Dutton
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-dutton.html
Latest Review: "NovoPulp 2013-2014 Anthology" by Niamh Brown, Ted Ewen, H. David Blalock, Lacerant Plainer, Micha Fire, Michael David Matula, Rich La

Post by Chris Dutton »

The Hobbit when I was about ten or eleven. Blew my tiny little mind!
Latest Review: "NovoPulp 2013-2014 Anthology" by Niamh Brown, Ted Ewen, H. David Blalock, Lacerant Plainer, Micha Fire, Michael David Matula, Rich La
DCreader
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by DCreader »

It was also the Hobbit for me as well. I didn't think I was going to like it, but my fiancé urged me to give it a try and I loved it. I'm still not a big sci-fi or fantasy fan, but that was awesome. I read The Giver by Lois Lowery in college, as it was recommended to me by someone who was going into mid level education. That was pretty good, but I don't generally choose that genre when deciding how I will spend my time reading.
Void

Post by Void »

Probably the collection of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales. My dad used to read those to me along with the Iliad and the odyssey, 1001 Arabian Nights and the original Just So stories of Rudyard Kipling. Those count as fantasy don't they? (I think many children are certified fantasy junkies) If children's stories don't count, I would say Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. I don't remember how old I was, but I remember not understanding all of it and having to ask my dad what certain words meant.
Gary Delligatti
Currently Reading: Miramonts Ghost
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gary-delligatti.html

Post by Gary Delligatti »

I sort of went a different way. The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Definitely the Hobbit and the Lord of The Rings. I must have read that series like 3 times in 6th grade!
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
michelewhite0068
Favorite Author: Robert McCammon
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 88">Doctor Sleep</a>
Currently Reading: 11.22.63
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelewhite0068.html
fav_author_id: 2690

Post by michelewhite0068 »

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and Dune which I read in 8th grade.
tifflyon01
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tifflyon01.html

Post by tifflyon01 »

I think vampire diaries series was what really got me into sci-fi fantasy, but now I can't put them down....
stormy1

Post by stormy1 »

My first book was a book my Dad was reading. I was just fascinated by the cover as I had never seen anything that looked like the monster on the cover. I thought it was so cool. The book was a Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony. That book turned out to be just awesome for a young kid. It triggered my love for reading fantasy and I have been reading it ever since.
jazziemommie
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazziemommie.html
Latest Review: "Noise" by Brett Garcia Rose

Post by jazziemommie »

The Hobbit was probably my first taste of fantasy, and I was 10. Luckily, I had an amazing teacher that read it to us as we worked on an art project at the end of each day. Otherwise I never would have read it. It was wonderful, and I think the whole class was hooked.
Latest Review: "Noise" by Brett Garcia Rose
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

Also Hobbit for me! I was 7.

My name is from a Tolkien book so I was doomed from the start though. :)
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
scquarantillo
Favorite Author: rachel vincent
Favorite Book: Forever by Judy Blume
Currently Reading: Undead to the World
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scquarantillo.html
fav_author_id: 4455

Post by scquarantillo »

Kelley Armstrong Women of the Other world series!

-- 06 Feb 2015, 16:17 --

I have never read The Hobbit, and apparently I have been missing out! I guess I better get to it and buy the book! You guys have won me over...I am officially a bad reader lol How can I be a professional reader and reviewer if I haven't read the classics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Void wrote:Probably the collection of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales. My dad used to read those to me along with the Iliad and the odyssey, 1001 Arabian Nights and the original Just So stories of Rudyard Kipling. Those count as fantasy don't they? (I think many children are certified fantasy junkies) If children's stories don't count, I would say Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. I don't remember how old I was, but I remember not understanding all of it and having to ask my dad what certain words meant.
I agree--the titles you mentioned are indeed fantasy. I read most of them in elementary and middle school, and I've always considered myself a fan of fantasy and science fiction.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
aurainvader
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aurainvader.html
Latest Review: "Mad Reality vs Aurelius" by James Ayrford

Post by aurainvader »

The series that got me into sci-fi, and reading in general, was Animorphs by K.A. Applegate. It was actually made into a tv series for a while. I thought it was the best thing ever written, the series is still one of my favorites. If you haven't read it, it's about an alien that crash kands on Earth and gives 5 teenagers alien technology that allows them to morph into any animal they can touch so they can fight another race of aliens that are trying to silently take over Earth and enslave the human race. Another series that I really loved in the fantasy genre was the Seventh Tower series by Garth Nix. The storyline was captivating and it spoke about classism and how to be brave in a simple, but really fantastic way. The two main characters are radically different and they want different things, but they find a way to come together and compromise so that they both win. It takes place in a world where the clouds cover the sky and the Earth is overtaken by cold and ice. Some people live in the darkness on the ice and others live in the seven towerals, each tower assigned according to your class.
Latest Review: "Mad Reality vs Aurelius" by James Ayrford
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

I loved the Animorphs books. I think I was 10 or 11 when the series first came out, so I had already been reading fantasy & sci-fi, but I remember ordering the new ones from the Scholastic Book Order ever month and being so excited for them. :)
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”