What book first introduced you to Sci-Fi or Fantasy books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Re: What book first introduced you to Sci-Fi or Fantasy book

Post by Lilapo9 »

It would have been Ursula K LeGuin's A Wizard of Earthsea trilogy. This series starts off with A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, and ends with The Farthest Shore. In 2012 Ursula K LeGuin added Tehanu which I have not had the privilege of reading yet.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
GertrudeH
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gertrudeh.html
Latest Review: "Dreamvision" by S. L. Bynum
Reading Device: B00G2TK76A

Post by GertrudeH »

Hi, I'm new here. I love fantasy books as well, so I thought I'd put in my two cents. For some reason the intro subsection isn't posting for me.

For me it started with the Hobbit as well, around when I was in third grade or so. Before then it was mostly Hank the cowdog and Goosebumps. Then when I was in middle school a music teacher introduced me to Dragonlance. After that I'd sweep through libraries and bookstores looking for more dragons.
Latest Review: "Dreamvision" by S. L. Bynum
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I think my first exposure to fantasy was through fairy tales, both in books and on-screen. I didn't start reading science fiction until middle school, although I had been a big fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek my whole childhood. And honestly, I can't recall the name of the first science fiction novel I read!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

The Lord of the Rings!!! Made me a firm fantasy fan at the tender age of 9.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Cor15
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cor15.html

Post by Cor15 »

Ahh that feels like forever ago. I can't remember exactly but I do know that Harry Potter was one of the first books I voraciously read. So that was probably the one that at least got me hooked.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I came here to say that my main introduction into these genres was when I was given a copy of Ender's Game by my cousin. I absolutely devoured that book in a couple of days and it stays one of my favourite books to this day, if only in principle. Having read the responses in the thread however, I realise that The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings series is likely the more correct response. My Mom read these books to me as a kid and therefore would likely be my introduction.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”