How do YOU rate books when reviewing? Your personal thoughts

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Re: How do YOU rate books when reviewing? Your personal thou

Post by Ryan »

The inclusion of bookshelves has now defined the way I review books. Before, I could be rather lenient because the 4* rating here was not the same as I'd give it to other books on Goodreads, for example. But now the 4* books in my bookshelves serve as a point of reference so that now I'm even stricter than I was before when it comes to quality. Is it the same for anybody else? :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Lushlala
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Lushlala »

I'm yet to review books on this site, but I have been doing it for a very long time on Amazon and Scribd. I also prefer a rating scale of 1-5. I usually go off how much I enjoyed the book, how likeable the characters were, how the book flows, how well written it is (in terms of syntax, grammar and punctuation). Sometimes even the cover matters to me. Sadly, a lot of the books I enjoy reading are by self-published authors, and they can be littered with a catalogue of errors.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Lushlala wrote:I'm yet to review books on this site, but I have been doing it for a very long time on Amazon and Scribd. I also prefer a rating scale of 1-5. I usually go off how much I enjoyed the book, how likeable the characters were, how the book flows, how well written it is (in terms of syntax, grammar and punctuation). Sometimes even the cover matters to me. Sadly, a lot of the books I enjoy reading are by self-published authors, and they can be littered with a catalogue of errors.
Like you, I have discovered that self-published books are often riddled with grammatical errors. I find this disappointing, particularly when I have paid for the book. I think a published work should contain no errors, at least a minimum of errors.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

If I were to award a book a one star it would have to be pretty bad, meaning that not only was it poorly written but also had major grammar and punctuation mistakes. A two star is a book that is fairly well-written with some grammatical mistakes but perhaps there might be faulty data on the author's position. A three star is an excellent read with grammar errors. A four star is an excellent read with minimal or no grammar errors. I cannot judge my stars based on how a story impacted my life because all stories regardless of genre have the potential to affect my life in some way.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
llyzavala91
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-llyzavala91.html

Post by llyzavala91 »

I usually just like to review by how the author is able to take me into the book world, how they use words, and the story line of the book. I usually give a good review if the author can make me feel like I am in the book even if they use really bad wording or if the story line sucks. It can be really hard to make you feel like you are there so therefore if they can do that I will give a good review.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

As I am reading, I always start off thinking that it is going to be a four star book (our of four stars, if reading for this site). I start out thinking the best and expecting the best. Then the level is adjusted as I find things I don't particularly care for. Honestly, it would be hard for me to give a book 1 star, because I am always able to find something about the book that I appreciate. I have only give a lowest star rating ONCE since I began reviewing books (and that wasn't for this site; just a random Amazon review).
abijane115
Currently Reading: Combative
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by abijane115 »

First of all I like reading romance and erotic novels, thank you E L James for Fifty Shades of Grey and getting me into reading again. So with that said, I base all my reviews with how the author keeps me engaged with the story. For example if I can't put the book down even for a bathroom break because it is too good to miss anything then I give it a very high rating, in this case it would be a 4. If I can wait to turn the page until the next hour or so because it's intersesting and somewhat to my liking then it's average 2-3. But if it's a book that even from the beginning I have to keep telling myself it's going to get better and it doesnt that's when I give it a poor review of 1. But no matter how good or bad a book is to me, I never just stop reading it. I always finish it then ask myself WTH did I just read!!!!!!
HoneyB
Currently Reading: The Law of Moses
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeyb.html
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone

Post by HoneyB »

Scott wrote: 1 star - recommend against reading it, discourage others from reading it
2 stars - neither recommend/encourage one way or the other
3 stars - recommend reading it, encourage others to read it
4 stars - the same as 3 stars but you like it extra, extra :)
Oh man, I'm so glad to be reading this post! I was second guessing myself on my first review (and only review, thus far). I wasn't sure if I was being too critical. And since it was my first review, I really wanted to do a good job. Since reading everyone's posts, I feel a little better about the rating I gave.

Scott, I like the simplicity of your rating system.

ALynnPowers - I loved what you said about starting out with a "4 star" expectation - very positive!
A book is a device to ignite the imagination.
~Alan Bennett
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

HoneyB wrote:
Scott wrote: 1 star - recommend against reading it, discourage others from reading it
2 stars - neither recommend/encourage one way or the other
3 stars - recommend reading it, encourage others to read it
4 stars - the same as 3 stars but you like it extra, extra :)
Oh man, I'm so glad to be reading this post! I was second guessing myself on my first review (and only review, thus far). I wasn't sure if I was being too critical. And since it was my first review, I really wanted to do a good job. Since reading everyone's posts, I feel a little better about the rating I gave.

Scott, I like the simplicity of your rating system.

ALynnPowers - I loved what you said about starting out with a "4 star" expectation - very positive!
I also start out with a "4 star" explanation. Before selecting a book to read/review, I first read the summary and almost always read the sample on Amazon. I select books that I am interested in, so I start out thinking that I will love the book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
aaa123
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa123.html

Post by aaa123 »

I normally just use my gut instinct and say what i think.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I either like a book or I don't therefore it gets either five stars or .... it doesn't.

Trying to rate books between 0 and 5 has the same effect on me as trying to separate fly poop from pepper - too tedious to deal with. Same goes for movies. I'm pretty sure this is what killed Roger Ebert.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
THWilliams82
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter Series
Currently Reading: Lord of the Rings Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thwilliams82.html

Post by THWilliams82 »

There is a few series that changed my life- Harry Potter, Hunger Games etc (I'm a YA fantasy fan). Otherwise I guess the rest would be rated as 3's. With only a select few as 1-2. There is only a few books that i despise. I feel that even if i dislike it or something about it, I still got hours and hours of entertainment out of it. (Unless of course I just couldn't finish, then it will be a 0!)
aprice12
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aprice12.html

Post by aprice12 »

On my blog I rate out of five. Five being it was impossible to put down. Four being it was really good. Three is usually just an ok read. Two is one I found difficult to get into and didn't finish. One is for books I couldn't force myself to read or that had so many errors that it is unreadable.
I am new on this site, so am unsure how I will go about rating books. I assume that many will fall into the 3 rating for me. I love books and most books have something about them that I really enjoyed. It is hard for me to rate lower unless there are a lot of problems or the story just couldn't keep me reading. I rarely rate a one because I feel that most books are worth at least a two because someone out there will like the ones I don't.

OK. That was a little bit rambling and I am not sure I answered well at all.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

ALynnPowers wrote:As I am reading, I always start off thinking that it is going to be a four star book (our of four stars, if reading for this site). I start out thinking the best and expecting the best. Then the level is adjusted as I find things I don't particularly care for. Honestly, it would be hard for me to give a book 1 star, because I am always able to find something about the book that I appreciate. I have only give a lowest star rating ONCE since I began reviewing books (and that wasn't for this site; just a random Amazon review).
I use this same approach. I go in with high standards, and then adjust accordingly. And like you, I've yet to give a book a one star rating because I can usually find something that I respect or appreciate.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Lolo_runner
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolo-runner.html

Post by Lolo_runner »

When I rate a book I don't go into it thinking I'm reviewing a book. Then when I get further into it I start to evaluate. I'll think to myself man I really liked how the author made this character or whoa this plot line went downhill fast. Normally I don't think of it really as a review.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”