If someone ruined your favorite book what would you do?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
tilly786
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tilly786.html

Re: If someone ruined your favorite book what would you do?

Post by tilly786 »

I would ask them to buy me a new one.
THWilliams82
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter Series
Currently Reading: Lord of the Rings Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thwilliams82.html

Post by THWilliams82 »

DalekPrideParade wrote: 2. I'd swipe their legs out from beneath them and karate chop them into oblivion.
There's a large chance I would do this also. However, when I have had books spoilt its been online so all i could do was write angry words. :evil:

I have my fav books in leather bound versions so wouldn't lend out to anyone. Having said that, my friends are terrible at returning anything. So anything borrowed is in fact given.
MommyRussell
Favorite Author: Laura Wright
Currently Reading: The Fiery Heart
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mommyrussell.html
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 3969

Post by MommyRussell »

I would make them replace it, and never let that person borrow anymore of my books.
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren
kendrashea
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendrashea.html

Post by kendrashea »

If someone was to ruin my book i would make sure they know that they will be buying me a new one and to never touch any of my books again.
Kels_89
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kels_89 »

Firstly, I'd probably make them buy me a new copy. But not like a cheap used copy, they have to pay full price for a brand new one.

Secondly, I'd salvage would I could to make art out it. I always liked the idea of "book art" but am always hesitant about using my copies that are still in readable condition. I like the idea of taking single pages and doing a water color painting over it and framing it.
AnonymousGoogle
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonymousgoogle.html

Post by AnonymousGoogle »

1. I would punch them or judo flip them, depending on the mood I'm in, and then demand that they buy me a new book for the one they had damaged.

2. I would most likely frown, and turn away. Hours later, when I have free-time, I'll probably ponder over the flaws, and reconsider them, before deciding whether or not the book was still my favorite.

3. If someone tells me the ending... well, usually when people try to tell me the ending, they start off by saying whether or not I want to know the ending, and I'll say "no", but they'll tell me anyway, which is to be expected, and I would push them away. If I did happen to overhear or that person shouts it to me or something, I'll still read the book. Someone telling you a story just isn't the same as reading it yourself.
reubenkey
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reubenkey.html

Post by reubenkey »

I was loaned a book that I had no interest in borrowing. I tried multiple times to say no thank you. I finally gave in and accepted it. At that stage of my life, I knew I would not have time to read it. I didn't see the person for two decades after that. The book was stolen by one of my live-in girlfriends when she moved out while I was away taking a paid training class for an impressive promotion. She also took everything else including the carpet and even the carpet tacks! When I did see the person who force loaned me the book, he asked me about it and informed me it was his wife's favorite book. I told him the story and offered to go get her a new copy. He said no. She had gotten another copy shortly after he told her he loaned it to me. I wish he hadn't asked me if I had read it..... I never did. I still haven't. The book was Madame Butterfly.
Ck89reader
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ck89reader »

First off, I'd be terribly mad at the person for ruining my book and I'd ask them to kindly buy a new copy. (I am not too sensitive to people ruining my books. The only books I really read are on my computer or library books.) Ether way, if this happened when I lent it, I would never lend a book to them again.

Second, I have not actually had someone ruin a book for me by telling me the ending...except of course movies, which may be the reason why I don't read books after I watch the movies. However if someone did this, I'd also be largely upset becuase reading is a journey and if it's ruined, it makes reading less enjoyable. I'd mkae doubly sure that they do not have any idea what book I'm reading.
debbiebee
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by debbiebee »

It would depend. If it was a genuine accident, well, we all have accidents and I have been known to balance coffee on a chair arm while reading!! I would tell myself this whilst contemplating slow evisceration. Joking apart, if it was a recently bought charity shop paperback I probably wouldn't be over bothered, but if it was something I treasured and I knew the person concerned KNEW that, I would be unhappy, though I try to remind myself of one of human rights lawyer Clive Stafford Smith's quotes, applied to far more serious matters than coffee on a book, 'Never judge anyone by their worst action.'
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
SusieGee1978
Favorite Author: Darynda Jones
Favorite Book: The Charlie Davidson series
Currently Reading: Lawless by Matt Bondurant
fav_author_id: 5721

Post by SusieGee1978 »

I agree with all the responses! I would be mad, definitely want it replaced, and would most likely cry. However, I don't think I'd lend my favorite book out because I wouldn't want to take the chance of it getting ruined, LOL!
Master of Mischief

Post by Master of Mischief »

To be honest, knowing how Mother-Bear-like I get with any of my books (never mind a favourite book) most people wouldn't dare do anything to them. However of, by the tiniest of chances, my book does end up getting damaged then, well...you don't really want to know what I'd do
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Me:

Teamo19
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teamo19.html

Post by Teamo19 »

I think it depends on why they ruined it, whether it was an accident or just plainly to be horrible. When my husband and I were first married I inherited a book from my grandmother. It was a large hardback storybook that she used to read to me when I would spend summer evenings at her house. My puppy somehow got it off the bookshelf and chewed on the binding. I cried for days over that!
Ams339
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ams339.html

Post by Ams339 »

1st: I would probably ask him/her to pay me back and obviously buy the book again (and make sure that I never lend him/her another single book!)

2nd: I am quite and open-minded person so most probably I would read the book again so that I could see if their view has any meaning but still I think at the end I would stand-by my view since for me it's very difficult to change my opinions on my favorite books.

3rd: First I would get so angry and flip out!!! (I hate these type of people!) Then I guess I would either not read the book or read it a year later or more when I had forgotten the ending, but still I would not enjoy it!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Teamo19 wrote:I think it depends on why they ruined it, whether it was an accident or just plainly to be horrible. When my husband and I were first married I inherited a book from my grandmother. It was a large hardback storybook that she used to read to me when I would spend summer evenings at her house. My puppy somehow got it off the bookshelf and chewed on the binding. I cried for days over that!
I hope you made the dog pay you back. ;)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”