Historical Fantasy anyone?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Historical Fantasy anyone?

Post by BookWorm07 »

I've been reading the Thieftaker Chronicles by D.B. Jackson that is set in colonial Boston with a conjurer as the main character, investigating the murder of a young woman. In his search, he meets with revolutionaries like Sam Adams and The Sons of Liberty. I was wondering if anyone here has read anything similar? Books loosely based on history but adds something more the well known stories.
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
KristineNicole
Favorite Author: Emily Bronte
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Snow Child By Eowym Ivey
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristinenicole.html
fav_author_id: 2494

Post by KristineNicole »

I have one I have to finish called 'The Ghost Bride' by Yangsze Choo. It's set in 1890s Malaysia and features a character named Li Lan who is married to a ghost to help his spirit rest. But she finds herself getting more drawn to the world of the dead than the living.
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

Ooh~! The Constant Princess by Phillipa Gregory is a fantastic book, and I will rave about it all day long. It tells the story of Catherine of Aragon, and while it contains all true facts about her life it turns it into a vivid world full of her own personal thoughts and feelings. Definitely read it and her other books!
BookWorm07

Post by BookWorm07 »

KristineNicole wrote:I have one I have to finish called 'The Ghost Bride' by Yangsze Choo. It's set in 1890s Malaysia and features a character named Li Lan who is married to a ghost to help his spirit rest. But she finds herself getting more drawn to the world of the dead than the living.
Sounds fascinating. I've never read anything set in malasia either, so I'll give this book a try if I can get my hands on it. :P
Anacoana wrote:Ooh~! The Constant Princess by Phillipa Gregory is a fantastic book, and I will rave about it all day long. It tells the story of Catherine of Aragon, and while it contains all true facts about her life it turns it into a vivid world full of her own personal thoughts and feelings. Definitely read it and her other books!
I hadn't even known about Catherine of Aragon till you mentioned her. Wow! If she is anything like her wikipedia page makes her seem like, then she is one amazing woman. I'll definitely check out that book.
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

She was definitely amazing, and I hope you like the book! I hadn't known anything about her either, but it was a great introduction to who she was. The Ghost Bride sounds neat, I'll have to check it out.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

Interesting genre. I enjoy historical fiction, but I have never read historical fantasy.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
BookWorm07

Post by BookWorm07 »

Dando wrote:Interesting genre. I enjoy historical fiction, but I have never read historical fantasy.
Me neither until I found the Thieftaker. I'd suggest it if you wanna try this genre. :)
Wreade1872

Post by Wreade1872 »

I've read just about every known genre due to my 'things referenced in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics' reading list http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... 2057074266

but for this particular genre the only thing i can think of is 'Zanoni By Edward Bulwer-Lytton', its a supernatural romance with some nice lovecraftian elements and the story just sort of casually wanders into the french revolution.
BookWorm07

Post by BookWorm07 »

Wreade1872 wrote:but for this particular genre the only thing i can think of is 'Zanoni By Edward Bulwer-Lytton', its a supernatural romance with some nice lovecraftian elements and the story just sort of casually wanders into the french revolution.
That book seems to be exactly what I want. Thanks for suggesting. :)
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

I love the idea of this genre, and I am curious to see if it is good, so if anyone could give me a recommendation of what I should start off with?
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
BookWorm07

Post by BookWorm07 »

@Aspen_Reads I'd suggest Thieftaker by D.B. Jackson, because that's the only one I've read as of now. But there are quite a few recommendations in the comments above. Check those books out too. Hope you enjoy this genre as much as I did. :)
Alexavier-Taiga
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
Currently Reading: reading five books and they wont fit
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexavier-taiga.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Alexavier-Taiga »

I have had a bad history with Historical Fantasy, the few books I have read of this genre just simply weren't written well. The plots were fantastic and the characters had real potential, but the writing styles were not up to my standard. I have only read a few (maybe two or three) and it was a few years ago, and as such I can not remember the totals or authors of the books I read. I would love to give this genre another go, as I love both historical as fantasy on their own. I will check of the Theiftaker series and hopefully it restores my faith in the genre.
So many books to read, so little time..

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”