Overly described scenes or wonderful vision?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
lovelyreader21
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Speak
Currently Reading: This Song Will Save Your Life
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovelyreader21.html

Re: Overly described scenes or wonderful vision?

Post by lovelyreader21 »

I feel that writing in a fashion that describes everything carefully and intricately can often just be a distraction. But if you're writing to describe emotion in vivid detail, or things that can make your reader actually feel emotion other than boredom, and contributes to the story, I feel like that's mainly when I find descriptive writing to be helpful and appreciated. In some books it works; as Merri said, take the Lord of the Rings series! I love Tolkien's descriptive language and way of immersing you into the world. However, that only works for certain books, I think. And certain authors. I tend to take the minimalist approach when writing, but when in certain situations or themes of my writing, it's sometimes helpful for intricate descriptions. Sorry for the ramble, haha. I've got a lot of thoughts on this, I suppose.
“All I insist on, and nothing else, is that you should show the whole world that you are not afraid. Be silent, if you choose; but when it is necessary, speak – and speak in such a way that people will remember it.”
-Mozart
designerrosa
Favorite Author: Michael LeBoeuf
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha
Currently Reading: The Richest Man in Babylon by G. Classon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-designerrosa.html

Post by designerrosa »

I prefer details, i think it takes a certain level of skill to describe a thing or person in so much detail its almost like am standing right there in the book.
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

I like overly descriptive scenes because they create a vivid picture in my mind.
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
vadadagon
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: Emma
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vadadagon.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by vadadagon »

lovelyreader21 wrote:I feel that writing in a fashion that describes everything carefully and intricately can often just be a distraction. But if you're writing to describe emotion in vivid detail, or things that can make your reader actually feel emotion other than boredom, and contributes to the story, I feel like that's mainly when I find descriptive writing to be helpful and appreciated. In some books it works; as Merri said, take the Lord of the Rings series! I love Tolkien's descriptive language and way of immersing you into the world. However, that only works for certain books, I think. And certain authors. I tend to take the minimalist approach when writing, but when in certain situations or themes of my writing, it's sometimes helpful for intricate descriptions. Sorry for the ramble, haha. I've got a lot of thoughts on this, I suppose.
I love LOTR but to be honest I hated all the signing (particularly in The Hobbit) which seemed to have no purpose and the songs didn't really relate to what was going on. They didn't really provide any additional input to the story other than the fact that they were signing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

Mrs. Bennet
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

There is a fine line between these two, huh?
I might lean more on the "overly described" if there is just too much detail. Personally, I think it's up the the reader to create the picture, not for the writer to tell everyone exactly what they need to be thinking about.
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

ALynnPowers wrote:There is a fine line between these two, huh?
I might lean more on the "overly described" if there is just too much detail. Personally, I think it's up the the reader to create the picture, not for the writer to tell everyone exactly what they need to be thinking about.
Agreed, though sometimes when the scene is overly described with useless details or details that will not help later in the book, I tend to find them boring and skip it.
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

What the world needs is more GOOD EDITORS!
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
vadadagon
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: Emma
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vadadagon.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by vadadagon »

ALynnPowers wrote:There is a fine line between these two, huh?
Very well said.

-- 22 Nov 2014, 16:12 --
suzy1124 wrote:What the world needs is more GOOD EDITORS!

Even the best editor can't help the worst author.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

Mrs. Bennet
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

But at least an Editor can " minimize " the torture to the reader........" Less is More "
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
fav_author_id: 3314

Post by Janiac02 »

I don't know if I have a preference. The books I read tend to fall into the Fantasy genre, so in that case I think I appreciate the nearly superfluous description of the unfamiliar. In other cases I might prefer the minimalist approach. Neither detracts from the story for me.
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

I like enough description so that I can capture what the author had in mind when they were writing their characters and settings. The more description the easier I can transport myself into that story especially if I am reading a story that I have nothing in my own experiences to base off of.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Alexavier-Taiga
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
Currently Reading: reading five books and they wont fit
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexavier-taiga.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Alexavier-Taiga »

I love overly descriptive things. I have a great imagination, but I always think "but what if this isn't how the author pictured it?!". In my own writing I describe a lot, but I don't describe characters much. I will only describe what their mannerisms are, not what they look like.
Scenery and sounds are what I most like. It frustrates me when you are reading a book with not much description, then all of a sudden you have to stop reading for a moment because something happened that didn't coincide with what you were picturing in your head.
E.g. he walked to the window and stared out at the river beyond the garden fence what? There isn't a window there! And since when was there a river?
Etc.
So many books to read, so little time..
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

I like a vague description because that lets you imagine further. If it's super descriptive then I can't picture that character in my mind.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

vadadagon wrote:
lovelyreader21 wrote:I feel that writing in a fashion that describes everything carefully and intricately can often just be a distraction. But if you're writing to describe emotion in vivid detail, or things that can make your reader actually feel emotion other than boredom, and contributes to the story, I feel like that's mainly when I find descriptive writing to be helpful and appreciated. In some books it works; as Merri said, take the Lord of the Rings series! I love Tolkien's descriptive language and way of immersing you into the world. However, that only works for certain books, I think. And certain authors. I tend to take the minimalist approach when writing, but when in certain situations or themes of my writing, it's sometimes helpful for intricate descriptions. Sorry for the ramble, haha. I've got a lot of thoughts on this, I suppose.
I love LOTR but to be honest I hated all the signing (particularly in The Hobbit) which seemed to have no purpose and the songs didn't really relate to what was going on. They didn't really provide any additional input to the story other than the fact that they were signing.
^^^
Me too! I thought I was the only one hating the singing. I hate people singing without background music for some reason :lol:

I understand that some singing gives some "culture" and vibrance to the story but that was too much.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
krisliz88
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Heartsick
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisliz88.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by krisliz88 »

I think that it really depends on the book. I am a very imaginative person and depending on what I'm reading some times I like to create the image in my mind because I don't necessarily like the author's description. I know that is terrible but sometimes the book just flows better for me that way. It is funny because there have been a bunch a books that I have read that have been made into movies and I am always so disappointed because I go to see the movie and they are a) almost never better than the book and b) what I imagined a scene or a character to be is not what appears!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”