What's the worst book you ever read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Natasha_au
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Natasha_au »

All the books I read in high school... "Looking For Alibrandi" is one of them. I never did finish that one.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Natasha_au wrote:All the books I read in high school... "Looking For Alibrandi" is one of them. I never did finish that one.
Really?

I generally disliked the high school curriculum and methodology, but I liked the books they assigned. They assigned classics, such as Fahrenheit 451, The Catcher in the Rye, and The Scarlet Letter.

I never read "Looking For Alibrandi," though.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Sofia

Post by Sofia »

Heart Shaped Box-Joe Hill
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

I hated Wuthering Heights as well, and Emma- ewww Jane Austen actually.. No love for Hairy Potter.

And you know what- HATED Kite Runner- whoever wrote that knew they were tuggin on heart string and exactly when to pull. HAted that. You want to read about struggle read What is the What by Dave Eggers. Great read.
"I am a slave to the wonders of the imagination and the cage of creativity." -E. Maggard
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

metroidhunter9292 wrote:
awelker wrote:ive noticed that a lot of the books that i have been forced to read in school i absolutly hated. i hate everything about them and sometimes refused to read them. but now that i don't have that class i actually think, i mean think, about re-reading them to see if i can get more out of them. i mean most of the books that i read for my American Lit class i hated with a passion but now thinking about it i might one day re-read them .
I Think that is ABSOLUTELY true. I always hate books that are forced upon me from those buildings of pure EVIL.

(By the way, a book I hated was The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I thought it was Extremely disturbing.)
I thought the majority of the books taught in school were good books taught badly- and that did the books and injustice- you associate the books with that time perios and the teachers and atmoshere. Though to this day I will not read the Scarlett Letter.

I loved the Lovely Bones- it was a novel concept. Lucky- her first book- was a memoir, and was really well done as well. But I go for depressing I guess. It was a concept never done before- I think she deserves kudos for that. And I thought extremely well written....
"I am a slave to the wonders of the imagination and the cage of creativity." -E. Maggard
Dori

Post by Dori »

LoveHatesYou wrote:I thought the majority of the books taught in school were good books taught badly- and that did the books and injustice- you associate the books with that time perios and the teachers and atmoshere. Though to this day I will not read the Scarlett Letter.
I thought the Scarlet Letter was one of the better books that I've read in school. However, I do agree with you in the rest of your argument.
"Fine words will butter no parsnips."
Kari

Post by Kari »

The worst book I've ever read all the way through (that I chose to read, rather than a Mrs Prutton selection) is probably the one I've just finished: The Girls by Lori Lansens. The characters were unrealistic and one-dimensional, there was no storyline to speak of, and it jumped around from repetitive monotony to depressing anecdote and back again to repetitive monotony. I'm sure I read about one of the characters being carsick at least 300 times.

I'm sure the book was intended to be a moving tear jerker but all I saw was dull pages that I had to wade through (if I've read more than a chapter I can't give up for some stupid reason).
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I did not do any of the school work :twisted:, and read the books because they interested me. Perhaps, having to do all the annoying school work probably would have made the books less enjoyable.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
luvnum

Post by luvnum »

Linda wrote:harry potter...yea sorry i couldn't read it. maybe i have a thing about going against the grain. but i tried reading it like in elementary school...and let me tell u there was no magic.
i agree, i coulnd't feel the magic
part-time reader

Post by part-time reader »

Ulysses - this masterpiece is lost on me
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

part-time reader wrote:Ulysses - this masterpiece is lost on me
You know I had to try Ulysses 3 or 4 times before it actually worked for me. It went something like this:

I hate this book this is awful, why am I reading this? This is so bad, boring, pedantic, drugery... aw...man... wait a minute...I love this! Lighbulb!

So I'm with you there. Partially.
part-time reader

LoveHatesYou wrote:
part-time reader wrote:Ulysses - this masterpiece is lost on me
You know I had to try Ulysses 3 or 4 times before it actually worked for me. It went something like this:

I hate this book this is awful, why am I reading this? This is so bad, boring, pedantic, drugery... aw...man... wait a minute...I love this! Lighbulb!

So I'm with you there. Partially.
Thanks on that note I will try again some day...I think I have to set a goal of 100 pages per month or something...oh the hatred.
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

Well when there are so many OTHER books to read, why botehr with one you don't like?
Kari

Post by Kari »

That's a good question. Personally if I've only read a couple of pages and I don't like where it's going or don't like the style of writing (some authors are too descriptive for me) then I will give up there and then. If I've read any more than a chapter or two (some start well and go downhill from there) then I feel compelled to finish it. It's a weird trade-off to waste more time finishing a book to avoid having wasted time reading the first two chapters.

The exception to this rule seems to be Wuthering Heights, which I occasionally keep persisting with even though I don't think I liked it that much from the start.
part-time reader

I must admit I will not continue to read a book that uses the phrase 'ebb and flow' more then once.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”