How Organized is your book shelf? ( if at all )

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
catzkc
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: How Organized is your book shelf? ( if at all )

Post by catzkc »

The last few years I've been slowly whittling down my collection of physical books as I've become converted to reading on my ereader. I'll never give up physical books completely, but now I only keep my favorites (and now I have a nice collection for the Little Free Library I'm making and hope to have up in the next few weeks).

Mine is organized by genre. I have one bookshelf for my Historical Fiction - a shelf for Medieval, a shelf for 16th century, a shelf for 17th & 18th century and a shelf for 19th & 20th century. I have another bookshelf where I have my Fantasy/Sci-Fi on one shelf, Mystery on another, Classics on one shelf, and then non-fiction on another. I have a 3rd bookshelf that has what I consider my reference material - trails/hiking, religious, humor (my Calivin & Hobbes collection - next to the religious section!), knitting books, favorite children/ya books I have from my childhood, and some books that were my dad's.
puget sounder

Post by puget sounder »

By genre, then in alpha order according to author's last name. From top to bottom: shelf #1 is Classics; shelf #2 is black literature; shelf #3 is YA; shelf #4 is mystery/suspense. Of course I have plenty more in boxes in the garage, but that's another story:)

My cookbooks are on 2 kitchen counters. I spray painted 2 sets of bookends to match the colour scheme of my kitchen, and all of my cookbooks are easily within reach.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

Fairly haphazard. By Author...sometimes...
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
lizj97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizj97.html

Post by lizj97 »

When I had a real library I organized my books according to genre. I tried to keep the books in some kind of order so I could easily lay my hand on the book I was looking for. I think the digital books makes this process easier since we can search for books instead of manually hunting through rows and rows of physical books.
knighthkm
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Also too many
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knighthkm.html
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce

Post by knighthkm »

Mine is organized by catagory/subcatagory and then in each subcatagory by height. :)
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce
Lisa121

Post by Lisa121 »

It is the most organized area of my apartment. Alphabetical by genre and then by author :) Having to reorganize it when I have too many new books or get a new bookshelf is one of my least and most favourite things to do.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

knighthkm wrote:Mine is organized by catagory/subcatagory and then in each subcatagory by height. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Wow, impressive ! 8)
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Indeed!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
teddy746
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddy746.html

Post by teddy746 »

I put the books I like the most on the top shelf and the ones like Twilight series (I have no idea how I even got to those book) on the bottom one. I also like organizing the books on the shelves by color in rainbow-like order. But I have to reorganize every month because of the new books I buy, so it's a huge mess most of the time anyway.
jumoke oluade

Post by jumoke oluade »

my book shelf is organised by subject
11-22-63sk
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-11-22-63sk.html

Post by 11-22-63sk »

My book shelf is too organized. I go last name alphabetically, then within series in the correct series order. No one is to move them either.
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

All three of my bookshelves (though two only have a top and bottom shelf unfortunately) are two deep, with one row in front and another behind it. All the series are together with (for the most part) the first book on the left and continuing to the right. The series themselves and single books though are put on wherever they'll go, for I have no real organization method. The only thing that could count is that once a book or series is in a spot that is its spot, always and forever. Also my black bookshelf is completely and only manga, and that's starting to double stack too! ^^ Wicked excited.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

LOL! This week...NOT. Not at all.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Sweet_Lullaby
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-lullaby.html
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy

Post by Sweet_Lullaby »

total mess! nothing is organized! every time I take out a book I just put it where there is space. lol
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

Back when I had a home where I could have bookshelves my books were arranged by author and title. Now my books are all in tubs in my storage unit until I get my teaching job and can afford housing again.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”