Are you a book sniffer?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
tmcgilljr01
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Are you a book sniffer?

Post by tmcgilljr01 »

To sniff a book, is to breath in the life of that book. Looking and feeling a book, can only tell you so much about what the life a book has lived. Yet, when you do those, plus smell the book, it's almost as if something awakens in your senses, and you can visualize the journey that the book has been on, before arriving in your hands. To me it is the only true way to know and understand the book you are choosing to read.

To answer the question, yes, I am a book sniffer.
sarah92480
Favorite Author: Kim Harrison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah92480.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4193

Post by sarah92480 »

Absolutely! The older the better. :)
AnaMae12

Post by AnaMae12 »

Oh my gosh! Yes! I thought I was the only one who did this! I love the smell of ink and paper, every time I get a new book I bury my face in it and breathe the writing in :)
alexandrakay87
Currently Reading: Short Shorts
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by alexandrakay87 »

Always have been always will be. The first thing my best friend and I would do when we got a new textbook in school was take a deep sniff of the pages and smile at each other, knowing the other had just done the same. My fiancee says we're freaks. He doesn't get it. He's not a reader.
sjkellum

Post by sjkellum »

Hell yes. I helped my grandma a while back move a bunch of old books and as soon as I opened the box I was in heaven. They were musty and sweet smelling and I wanted to just curl up in the box.
LSWS07
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lsws07.html
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland

Post by LSWS07 »

Contrary to almost all other "real" readers, I have never enjoyed the smell of old books. I just think they smell old. Sorry!
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland
TaraHannon
Currently Reading: decension
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by TaraHannon »

I believe that if you are a true book collector you know about the different smells that books can hold within their magical journeys. Yes, I am a book sniffer. I love to be able to open a book and smell the new pages or the old pages. The smells from different books brings me comfort and almost an adrenaline rush. Even my daughter, who is five, loves to smell the pages of a book before reading. :D
1_2_5_am
Currently Reading: Once Upon a Time in Korea
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1-2-5-am.html

Post by 1_2_5_am »

Yep, I am. Whenever I get my hands on a book (in print) the first thing I do is smell the pages. Although, I've only ever noticed a slight difference in scents... Maybe I'm just not experienced enough to notice the varying scents. :P
insomniacwithbooks
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniacwithbooks.html

Post by insomniacwithbooks »

:roll: Am I a book sniffer? Well, of course! I, honestly, do not know why but I just am. I love the smell of new books, old books, tattered books, coffee-stained book, just any book! I love the various smells of different books :D
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

I loveeeeee how old books smell, its so weird. I mean, new books smell good too, but old books just smell so good to me, I don't know why. Also, I've found that textbooks usually don't smell good but that might just be because they're text books and I don't like them for that haha.
Gizemkuzu
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gizemkuzu.html

Post by Gizemkuzu »

Oh, I love smelling books! Sometimes, I just get into a bookstore and sniff the books. I must be crazy.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

We are not alone! :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
rath010
Currently Reading: Forgotten
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rath010.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by rath010 »

The fact that there are others who do this makes me a very happy person, indeed!
Daljr1234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daljr1234.html

Post by Daljr1234 »

You can tell if a book is good by sniffing it?! How does that work? Although I do love a new book smell.
Allison_Wonderland
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allison-wonderland.html

Post by Allison_Wonderland »

I absolutely love smelling books, but only old ones. I hate the smell of brand new books and textbooks.
I'm glad that I am not the only person doing this!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”