Are you a book sniffer?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
CYMH090909
Favorite Author: P.C. Cast
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cymh090909.html
fav_author_id: 4610

Re: Are you a book sniffer?

Post by CYMH090909 »

Sad but true I love the smell of books especially old books. I love the smell of walking into an old book store with used books and leather bindings.
*The truth doesn't always hurt*
KNewton
Favorite Author: Not possible to list
Favorite Book: Not possible to list
Currently Reading: A Bone To Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knewton.html

Post by KNewton »

Oh yeah! Definitely do...or did...sniff books :) Doesn't every REAL book lover?!
[*]How Fear of the Unknown Hinders the Development of Informed Decisions by Dr. Seuss[*][/color]
Alexandra Bayer
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: Vampire Academy Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra-bayer.html
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Alexandra Bayer »

I love the smell of certain books, but I don't buy by smell, like you do. ;)
Think, believe, manifest.
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
zoedecicco
Favorite Book: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoedecicco.html
Latest Review: "The Bad Path to Enlightenment" by Lee A. Eide

Post by zoedecicco »

Most definitely!!!

I sniff books all the time, especially new ones. Paper...mmmm
Latest Review: "The Bad Path to Enlightenment" by Lee A. Eide
ESQNYC
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esqnyc.html

Post by ESQNYC »

OMG i have been teased most of my life for sniffing and smelling books! I noticed that my 2.5 year old son does it as well and i find it quite endearing. There is something about the smell of the pages of a book, new or old.
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

mellysw wrote:This used to be a huge secret of mine. The only person who knew I sniffed books (god that sounds so awful!) was my best friend, who thought I was wierd anyway. But recently I have discovered a LOT of readers sniff books out there!

So do you sniff your books?

I can always tell a good book by how it smells. I KNOW that sounds wierd! I KNOW! But it is so true! I swear, if you sent me to a bookstore (new or used, doesn't matter) and gave me two AWESOME books I really wanted but told me I could only have one, I would sniff them to figure out which one I wanted. After I cried and whined and begged to have both of course! But by sniffing the pages, I would be able to tell which would be better, even if I can't tell from the blurbs.

And there is a technique to it! Sure, you can just lean over and get a whiff. Most of the time that is not enough though! You need to faaaaaannnnnn the pages out to really get a good whiff of it's real smell.

I promise you, every book smells different. I have opened boxes of books I had stored away in a closet for years, and the books still retain their individual smells. Strong environmental odors CAN affect their individual smells over a long time though. There is one book from my childhood where I love the smell so much I keep it in a ziplock bag so nothing affects it's smell. No lie, I swear it! As a matter of fact I will go take a whiff of it right now....be right back....

Ahhh....the smell of childhood.... This is the one thing I miss using my e-reader.

Anyway! Tell me about how you sniff your books, if you do!
I sniff my books by flipping the pages slowly, and really inhaling the scent. I definitely agree with you that they have individual scents that stay there for a long time! I love that there are other book sniffers out there. My fiancé thought I was so weird when I was in the bookstore the other day, and I finally broke down and sniffed a book in front of him! It was something I swore I would never do, and then I did it, and now I am a booksniffer in public, so if I'm weird, it is all in the name of books!
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I love my books, but I have to confess that I've never had the urge to sniff one. Nothing against it, mind you, it's just something that's never crossed my mind. I guess I might have to try it sometime, just to satisfy my curiosity, as it seems to be something a lot of people do!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

LivreAmour217 wrote:I love my books, but I have to confess that I've never had the urge to sniff one. Nothing against it, mind you, it's just something that's never crossed my mind. I guess I might have to try it sometime, just to satisfy my curiosity, as it seems to be something a lot of people do!
I'm surprised as well!! I never sniff mine... but I can recognize the smell of books... like in a library.
huntingmyths
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huntingmyths.html

Post by huntingmyths »

I absolutely love the smell of books. I don't purposefully smell it, but I do love the scent. :)
Alexavier-Taiga
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
Currently Reading: reading five books and they wont fit
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexavier-taiga.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Alexavier-Taiga »

I only smell new books or antique books. I NEVER smell a book from my school library because 90% of them have stains that look like comet and I am just not going to put my face near that. So only new books for me!
I have found that books I buy from the same company, tend to have a similar smell, or even books my the same author! Though this might just be a placebo-smell..
So many books to read, so little time..
jkclay1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkclay1.html

Post by jkclay1 »

I also love sniffing books! In fact I was arguing with someone the other day who said and I quote, "We don't really need libraries since everything is now online..." I was absolutely mortified!!! Smelling the book and turning the crisp pages is one of the greatest parts about reading a new book! It's something you can't do with a kindle, nook, tv, or anything like that. It's what set actually hold in your hand books apart!
Lady_Phantom

Post by Lady_Phantom »

I LOVE the smell of a used book store. The smell of a book somehow gives it character.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

I'm very allergic to dust and mildew. If I take a sniff of an old, musty book, I start coughing and sneezing uncontrollably. It gets so bad that some books I have to read in ebooks if they're out of print and all the available copies are in shabby condition.
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

Hahahah! I DO like the smell of books though. If you step into a library, it smells amazing. I think that paperbacks don't smell as good as hardcovers for whatever reason. I only smell them when they're new. Like I've just bought them. I don't smell my books on a regular basis. I admire them though.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
thebookaddict

Post by thebookaddict »

Absolutely! I'd bet that if you blindfolded me and put a bookunder my nose, I could tell if it was an old or new book! And once, I found a book-scented candle!!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”