What movie didn't you initially know was a book?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
ribbons and roses
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ribbons-and-roses.html

Re: Watching a Movies and then Finding Out There is a Book!

Post by ribbons and roses »

I don't watch movies. I always get bored after a while. With reading however, I could go on for hours and hours until I would have to force myself to stop to get my homework done.
LSWS07
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lsws07.html
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland

Post by LSWS07 »

I love finding out there's a book! I do have to say, however, that I'll usually love whichever I saw first, even if the book was written first. I guess I just see whatever I encounter as the "authentic" version.
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I always get a book associated with a movie, but I am usually disappointed because the actors and directors version seem to usurp the pleasure I get from imaging the story as I read it. I try to make sure I read a book before seeing any movie for this reason.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
WinterCandyMints
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

Me, too~ Especially when a movie does the storyline really well. Then when there is a book, I can find all the little details that they couldn't fit into the movie and it's just like more of the story. I love it.
mandap24
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandap24.html
Latest Review: "Usu" by Jayde Ver Elst

Post by mandap24 »

I definitely do. It's always a nice surprise because I get to delve into the story even further.
I tend to read a book first before a movie if I know about it. But sometimes I'll have no idea and it's nice to have something new to read.
There's also movies I don't care for and so I won't read the book attached...I wonder if I've passed on some decent reads that way.
Latest Review: "Usu" by Jayde Ver Elst
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

Happened to me with Ender's Game. Sometimes I think of it as a blessing in disguise. I watch the movie first and then I read the book and I find that I'm less disappointed because I get to enjoy the movie without having too high expectations and then read the book and be like 'Hey, this is much better than the movie'. A movie that's actually all right will feel lousy because I've already read the book first and already had high expectations of it.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Kylarae1210

Post by Kylarae1210 »

Don't you hater earring s book, then watching the movie and being upset because they left out things? I'd rather read the book after I see the movie sometimes!
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

Yes, absolutely. However, sometimes I am upset that I didn't know about the book. I prefer reading the book first just to see how the filmmaker improved on it or made a mess of it.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
Katie_2000
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-2000.html

Post by Katie_2000 »

Personally I think seeing a movie before reading the book totally ruins the book. I think most times the book is way better than the movie and helps me understand the movie more. I like to read the book then watch the movie.

-- October 30th, 2014, 8:11 pm --

Personally I think seeing a movie before reading the book totally ruins the book. I think most times the book is way better than the movie and helps me understand the movie more. I like to read the book then watch the movie.
stacihunsinger
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacihunsinger.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by stacihunsinger »

I have recently just started doing this, watching a movie or hearing about a movie and then finding out that a book exists. I love to be able to read the story, since movies never really do a good book justice. I have found a lot of new authors and series this way.
ksjennin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksjennin.html

Post by ksjennin »

I think the only time I've wtched a movie and thought it was better than the book was Girl, Interrupted.
Vanessa_J25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessa-j25.html

Post by Vanessa_J25 »

i completely freak out when i finish watching a movie i really enjoyed and find out it's a book series! that's what happened when i watched Ender's Game and found out it was a book series. :o
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I always get excited when I find out a movie is based off of a book. It makes me pay that much more attention to the movie so I can read, compare and re-watch later! Lol.
Kmikel0509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmikel0509.html

Post by Kmikel0509 »

I love it, too! It's just so exciting
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

I like when this happens but it always makes me a bit anxious at the same time! I'll start to worry that the book will be vastly different from the movie and that the end might be drastically different (My Sister's Keeper, anyone??). I think I like it better when I read the book first and then see the movie. I just did this recently when The Maze Runner came out. I like it when there is an advertisement out for a movie and it says something like based on the book by so and so and it alerts me to the fact that there's a book for it and I just have to read it before I go see the movie.

Return to “Films and Books”