Would you judge a book by it's FONT?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Noeld
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noeld.html

Re: Would you judge a book by it's FONT?

Post by Noeld »

I certainly don't give up on a book due to its font, but I may judge it. When it changes, I take notice, but sometimes that makes the book more interesting. This is especially true when reading books with more than one point of view. Sometimes they change the font to better express the character whose view it is.
Hendmosaad89
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hendmosaad89.html
Latest Review: "From Nathan to Nanako" by T.F. Wright

Post by Hendmosaad89 »

Probably not, but I would judge a book by its lines spacing, bec if the space is too crowded then it will make me a bit upset and uncomfortable.
Latest Review: "From Nathan to Nanako" by T.F. Wright
Muna Osman
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-osman.html

Post by Muna Osman »

A font generally decides the feeling I'll get from a book in the beginning, but if the storyline is good then it generally wouldn't swerve me too much.
Happily Candied
Favorite Author: Keith Donohue
Favorite Book: The Stolen Child
Currently Reading: Harry Potter
fav_author_id: 5212

Post by Happily Candied »

Fonts are always a big deal for me. A lot of people in design fields would say that a font can make or break any type of creative piece, and I wholeheartedly have to agree. The story within a book would have to be incredibly compelling for me to read in order for me to overlook a horrible and unfitting font.

Even when it comes to film (opening credits, title display, subtitles, etc.), a font can completely change the quality of the end product. It's harder for me to appreciate movies when unfitting fonts are used.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

Of course I would! Fonts are an important part of the entire reading experience. If the font is too big I will not read the book; for example, those large print books at the library is a complete turnoff. Likewise, if the fonts are too small I refuse to read the book. The strain on my eyes is not worth it. That's one of the advantages of ereaders you can change the font and the spacing to your desired preference.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I am not aware of ever having been affected one way or the other by a book's font. I am usually quite amazed and curious as to why, at the end of many books, the publisher devotes time to noting the font in which the book is written. I could not distinguish between a helvetica , a georgian a palatino or a pumpkin if my life depended upon it.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Meehan_Connor
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meehan-connor.html
Latest Review: "Take Back the Memory" by Augustine Sam

Post by Meehan_Connor »

I am guilty of putting down novels because of their font. For me, part of the experience is the immersion, and if I'm stopping my thought process every five seconds, there's no immersion.
Latest Review: "Take Back the Memory" by Augustine Sam
blindmansun
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blindmansun.html

Post by blindmansun »

yep. i tried reading a copy of 'the hunchback of notre-dame' i got from my library once but couldn't get more than i few chapters in b/c the font was so ugly. i generally prefer books w/a slightly smaller font and an easy-to-read, slightly pretty font.
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

I don't care about the font, as long as it's readable.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
KristineNicole
Favorite Author: Emily Bronte
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Snow Child By Eowym Ivey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristinenicole.html
fav_author_id: 2494

Post by KristineNicole »

I kind of have to judge books by their fonts. (I have poor eyesight at times due to migraines.) So if I find one version too hard to read, I pick up a version with a larger font.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I used to think I wouldn't, but then I found a book called Irregularity with the most beautiful, fitting font for that book I could have imagined. I didn't realize how important font was until then.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
ElphabaEvans
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elphabaevans.html

Post by ElphabaEvans »

I don't really feel strongly about font (except Comic Sans, but doesn't everyone hate Comic Sans?) so it typically doesn't affect my reading in any way.
csmsx
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csmsx.html

Post by csmsx »

I may judge a book by it's cover (who doesn't) but definately not by the font.
JenR
Currently Reading: The Martian
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenr.html
Reading Device: B00MYH64IO

Post by JenR »

If the font (or size) was hard to read it would be a turn off. I like the option in my kindle to change the font and size so it's never really a problem unless I'm reading a hard copy.
darkhuntress
Currently Reading: City of Lost Souls
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkhuntress.html

Post by darkhuntress »

I have never judge a book by its font, if it has a good storyline and what was written on the back sounds like its going to be a good book and worth reading it then the font size or anything else won't faze me.
"Fear in a name, only increases fear in the thing itself"

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”