Historical Fiction

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Re: Historical Fiction

Post by rssllue »

I have never heard of Mosada before. Now you have me interested. :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

I love good historical fiction. I like it to be accurate, but often I realize that I don't know enough about the time period to confirm that it's accurate.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

No, sorry, I don't. But any historical fiction about that particular era always interests me. I'll check out the Bambola book.

-- 22 Oct 2014, 11:14 --
rssllue wrote:I have never heard of Mosada before. Now you have me interested. :)
It's "Masada" and it was the fortress that the Jews build near Jerusalem to withstand the Roman army during the huge uprising in 70ce.

Thousands of Jews took refuge there, and held off the Romans for more than a year. But as was typical for the Roman army then, they slowly built a big ramp outside the rocky, isolated fortress. The ramp took months to construct and of course the defenders killed the army workers but the ramp progressed, and the Romans invaded. They found nearly everyone dead. The defenders had drawn lots, then killed one another (suicide being a sin) and the last few remaining had fallen on their swords. Nobody was left.

This was coupled by the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem, so Judaism was essentially wiped out for a long time. And since early Christians were then simply considered members of a Jewish sect, one of the two principal centers for Christianity was also wiped out. This was where Jesus' younger brother James was the leader, and he and his followers were either killed or ran out of town to take cover.

An interesting sidenote to this... for a long time, there were 2 centers for early Christianity, Jerusalem and Corinth (and Athens). James (Jesus' younger brother) was leader for the Jerusalem branch, and Paul & Peter for the other. At that time the biggest dispute among early Christians was whether you had to become a Jew before you became a Christian. Realize that Jesus was a Jew and so were all the leaders after his death. The conservative branch (James in Jerusalem) said yes you had to be a Jew. The more encompassing branch, led by Paul & Peter in Athens & Corinth, said no, you could just go straight to be a Christian and "skip" the Judaism.

Becoming a Jew (and understand that there were only the strict conservative style of Jews at that time) meant a lot of sacrifice. And no, it wasn't the circumcision -- that was a minor thing and in that era, pain and discomfort was prevalent, so the pain of that small event wasn't the holdup. It was that being a Jew meant that you had to wear certain clothes, eat only Kosher foods, live only in certain places, and give up many old friends. If you had a business, often it would be ruined by the restrictions on work and sales and such. So becoming a Jew was a huge sacrifice and few did this conversion.

Counter to this was the fairly easy rule to being a Christian. You only had to be moderate in things like drinking, you had to love your neighbor and do good deeds, and there were no real dietary or lifestyle restrictions at all. You could continue your work as, say, a bricklayer, and no problem. You could keep your old friends, live anywhere, and all you really had to do was to be a nice, peaceful person.

So the debate went on (never vicious, just spiritual) between the conservative branch in Jerusalem and the more liberal branch in Corinth, and after the destruction of Jerusalem in 70, with James murdered (probably), the entire seat of infleuence and power of the early church passed to Corinth and Athens, and Peter & Paul, being very "philosophical" Christians, allowed all sorts of converts. So there were ordinary citizens all across the regions who then became Christians, even many wealthy people, and many Romans (soldiers too). This marked the beginning of the huge growth of the early Christian church. And they weren't persecuted until much later, and by that time, the church's foothold was too strong.

A true historic event.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
doglvr

Post by doglvr »

If I ever get through this "mountain" of books waiting to be read, I have to read Rebekah's Treasure. I think it's my kind of book.
Greeneyedphotogirl79
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: 1984
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greeneyedphotogirl79.html
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Greeneyedphotogirl79 »

I just purchased book one of Game of Thrones. I've been told its an excellent series so I'm excited to read it!
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Understand that "Game of Thrones" is not historical fiction, instead fantasy.

Unless I'm in error, but I do think that the countries and events in these books are "invented" and don't deal with actual existing countries. Correct?
doglvr

Post by doglvr »

Greeneyedphotogirl79 wrote:I just purchased book one of Game of Thrones. I've been told its an excellent series so I'm excited to read it!
I just finished book 1 and it's so intense I'm reading Stephen King before I start book 2. I have the whole series.

FYI this is not historical fiction. It's fantasy, but I love both.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I actually had an author friend introduce me to Historical Romance and I absolutely loved it! I will read pretty much anything as long as it has a well written plot and is interesting.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Trisha, you might really like the "Pliny" novels by Albert Bell. The latest in the series, #5, is "Eyes of Aurora" and here's the link to my review of the novel:

http://www.overmydeadbody.com/plinyeye.html
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I am starting to like Historical Fiction more. I read The Postmistress for a book club and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected.
ESQNYC
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esqnyc.html

Post by ESQNYC »

s_kiser wrote:I recently read the Kristin Lavransdatter trilogy by Sigrid Undset (set in medieval Norway) and The Free Frenchmen by Piers Paul Read (set during WWII). Both were good.

I will definitely add the KristinLavransdatter trilogy to my list! I love Norway and historical fiction!

-- 18 Dec 2014, 20:24 --
alr5008 wrote:I just finished reading 4 of the 6 books in the Red River Valley Series by Lauraine Snelling. Took place in the 1880's coming over by ship from Norway, and homesteading in the Dakotas; then Dakota Territory in the Red River Valley. I really enjoyed reading them. All of the trials and tribulations they had to go through; and not knowing the English language. Trying to set up farming and bartering for equipment and oxen and horses. The harsh winters and illnesses and trying to keep meager food on the table.

Added to my list!
hazelk

Post by hazelk »

I love historical fiction, Rose Tremain is my favorite author.
Sarita Everson
Currently Reading: Lover Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarita-everson.html

Post by Sarita Everson »

I love Historical fiction especially Highlanders. Currently reading Eliza Knight. In the time period with Robert the Bruce and William Wallace and the war with English.
Alexavier-Taiga
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
Currently Reading: reading five books and they wont fit
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexavier-taiga.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Alexavier-Taiga »

I really love anything set in the late 19th century (1860-1910) and I think Sherlock Holmes was a big part in creating this fixation. But the sad thing is that, other than Sherlock, I have only ever read two books set in that time, one was set in the Sherlock universe after Holes and Moriarty 'died' at the waterfall, and the other was a non-fiction book about Jack The Ripper.
So many books to read, so little time..
Sarita Everson
Currently Reading: Lover Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarita-everson.html

Post by Sarita Everson »

I have a lot of historical romance booklists but its fiction not actual history if you are interested love that time period.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”