What Book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
michystar12
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michystar12.html

What Book?

Post by michystar12 »

If an author gave you the chance to rewrite or to change the fate of a book character, who would you chose?

I think I would give the Little Mermaid her voice, two legs and her prince. I agree that the story will no longer be as romantic or poignantly beautiful as the original, but at least the poor sweet thing will be spared a lot of pain.
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I'd change the fate of Severus Snape from the Harry Potter books. I think he did not deserve to die and would have given him a second chance at living. No, not with Lily Evans, I think what J K Rowling did with their past was right, even if painful, but maybe a new meaning to his existence after the war. That would have been nice and I can't help but want redemption for characters like him.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

RebekaV wrote:I'd change the fate of Severus Snape from the Harry Potter books. I think he did not deserve to die and would have given him a second chance at living. No, not with Lily Evans, I think what J K Rowling did with their past was right, even if painful, but maybe a new meaning to his existence after the war. That would have been nice and I can't help but want redemption for characters like him.

Aw, that's a good one!

I would pick someone from HP as well. Maybe Fred. I loved the twins and cried so hard when he died! :cry: :cry:
mrsallen7114
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsallen7114.html

Post by mrsallen7114 »

Conclusion of the Divergent series. Big boo from me -- i'd love to change that and how 'out of character' the main characters seemed in the final book.
han87
Favorite Book: When I find it I will tell you.
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han87.html
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by han87 »

Unpopular opinion but I would have left Harry dead in the Harry Potter series. For me it felt like the right way to end the story.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
skyfallDancer
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skyfalldancer.html

Post by skyfallDancer »

Harry Potter. I'd at least keep Tonks alive. Teddy is too precious to live without his mother
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

ALynnPowers wrote:
RebekaV wrote:I'd change the fate of Severus Snape from the Harry Potter books. I think he did not deserve to die and would have given him a second chance at living. No, not with Lily Evans, I think what J K Rowling did with their past was right, even if painful, but maybe a new meaning to his existence after the war. That would have been nice and I can't help but want redemption for characters like him.

Aw, that's a good one!

I would pick someone from HP as well. Maybe Fred. I loved the twins and cried so hard when he died! :cry: :cry:
Me too!!!
Fred was always my favorite twin. (I can tell you I was very upset when I read that part!)
Of the Phelps twins (who played them) James was my favorite, so really Fred twice!
Funny thing is...my sister's the exact opposite. Her favorites are George and Oliver!
And yes we can tell them apart.

Also I felt she killed alot of characters she didn't have to.
In my opinion, anonymous deaths would have been effective enough, without having to kill peoples favorite and beloved characters off.

I do have to disagree about Snape though. (Please don't hate me?! I'll explain!)
I love Snape, will always love Snape, and loved him from the very beginning (possibly because I have loved Alan Rickman for years but I digress).
I think he could never have been happy without Lily.
I think that he could have had a better death. I would have loved to see him sacrifice himself for Harry or one of the others, but I think it was a mercy that he died.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

What would have happened if Smeagle (how do you spell it?!?!) hadn't been so obsessed/fascinated with the ring? What kind of hate would he have had? Hm... I guess the whole series of books would have been different...
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I agree about all of the Harry Potter characters mentioned. I really don't understand why any of them had to die (well, I do understand Snape, but I still wanted him to live!!!).
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”