What do your favorite books tell about your personality?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Alden Loveshade
Favorite Author: Whoever I am reading
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What do your favorite books tell about your personality?

Post by Alden Loveshade »

Like some of the above, my books would show me as an eclectic. Within arm's reach of me right now are a volume of Shakespeare, a humorous book, a religious book, a book on tongue-in-cheek philosophy, a realistically-based crime book, The Associated Press Stylebook, a science fiction classic, a children's book, a fantasy....
"A book is man’s best friend outside of a dog, and inside of a dog it’s too dark to read."
Jim Brewer, Cleveland, O. (also attributed to Groucho Marx)
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

The books on my Kindle and many bookshelves are mostly historical fiction, or non-fiction texts on the time periods I'm most interested in. So I suppose you could say that my head is firmly fixed in the past. Mind you, I do occasionally zoom back to the present and read the odd crime novel - just to keep my powers of deduction nicely oiled.
AnnDJ
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anndj.html

Post by AnnDJ »

ALynnPowers wrote:
sahmoun2778 wrote:My bookshelf is loaded with mysteries, biographies, and some non-fiction how-to type books. No romance though. I like books that make me think or teach me something new.
:shock: My bookshelf is apparently the exact opposite of this one. We are polar opposites in personality!
Does that make us magnetically attracted to each other?
Wait, I just realized I have no idea what I am talking about now. 8)
I am a mix of both of y'all lol I have the romance for when I am in one of those moments when I need to just shut my brain off days but I have all sorts from horror, sci fi, thrillers, adventure, histortically books,. I am reading right now euphoria and it is a great book so far. :P
WinterCandyMints
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

I have a ton of random books. They typically have no distinct singular trait that tie them together. I'd say that makes me sporadic. I think it's pretty clear I'm random as is my book collection.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I just found a huge collection of girly manga in the back of my closet that I forgot I had! Whoa! I am a tweenybopper Japanese girl apparently!
pjack

Post by pjack »

My favorite books tell me that I love books with a sense of mystery. Rather it be fiction or non-fiction I like books that give me the opportunity to foresee what is going to happen rather than just telling me. I like books that I can connect to and apply to the real world. I also like books that challenge my thoughts and make me think about things in a different way. These type of books make reading a lot more enjoyable for me.
LSWS07
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lsws07.html
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland

Post by LSWS07 »

I read and enjoy books from every category and genre. I guess I am attracted bu their very existence.
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

That I am spontaneous and a lot of fun to be around. ;)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

Most of my books are mysteries, historical novels or a combination of both. I particularly like mysteries set in the past. So I suppose my bookshelves say that I'm an old fossil who loves history and likes a good mystery to solve.
knighthkm
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Also too many
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knighthkm.html
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce

Post by knighthkm »

I have lots of History, Non-fiction, Classics, Bible books, and language books. I'd say that probably shows that I'm kind of down to earth, love different cultures and people, and search deeply for truth.
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I'm starting to think that I might be a vampire. .... ....

I have issues...
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I have a lot of classic, YA, fantasy, and non-fiction books on my shelves. People always ask me what kind of books I like to read, and usually I reply with "Whatever looks interesting!"
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

I always judge people by their bookcases. I visit people and see their shelves filled with cookbooks and history and I just shake my head-I will never understand such people.
But if I find a good book that I've never read in someone's shelf, even if it's crowded with cookbooks, then it's okay.
As for my own bookshelves, my family's tastes are all mishmash and a bit juvenile. But there's a lot of classics and a lot of fantasy. And if they went to the basement they'd find three piles of Nero Wolfe books that I still can't fit in a bookcase.
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

I have books that are young adult, story collections, classics, biographies, histories, books about teaching reading and writing, and books about activities that don't require television for children. I also have self-help, music books, and religious books too. Most of my philosophy books are in tubs in my storage unit. So I think my collection reflects fairly well-rounded. What is absent are books on math and science. Very interesting!
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
fifthmayfly
Favorite Author: Rick Yancey
Favorite Book: The Hot Zone and Divergent Series
Currently Reading: The Wolf Princess
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifthmayfly.html
fav_author_id: 3497

Post by fifthmayfly »

I have a lot of YA, poetry, mystery detective stories, medical books, and books from my childhood I plan on rereading. My bookshelves are as unique as I am.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”