Have you read a classic recently?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Vivian21
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian21.html

Re: Have you read a classic recently?

Post by Vivian21 »

The Scarlet Letter. This is one of my favorites. I know a great many people out there would disagree but I have to say, this book really does it for me.
ashleyalanarx90
Favorite Author: H.G. Wells
Favorite Book: Alice.s Adventures in Wonderland
Currently Reading: March
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleyalanarx90.html

Post by ashleyalanarx90 »

In the last year I've read Tess of the D'urbervilles, Jane Eyre, and Wuthering Heights all by my own choice. I thoroughly enjoyed each one, even though it took me a few chapters into each to really catch on and get interested.
calfurshoney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calfurshoney.html

Post by calfurshoney »

I hated to read earlier in life. I hated the classics in high school. Now I realize that I missed out on so much. I just finished reading; Pride and Prejudice and have in my hand to read next; To Kill A Mockingbird. I am actually excited to read these books now.
Helga_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Helga_ »

Aithne wrote:No and I'm so glad I haven't. Now university is over I can read what I want and only read the classics if I have a hankering after a particular one.
Haha I feel you :) I felt the same way when I was a student.
The Scarlet Letter, Billy Budd, Heart of Darkness,...Those great books remind me of the not-so-great memories: quizzes, tests, presentations, assignments, etc., still to this day. It'll probably take several more years before I feel like revisiting those books.
JordanRose
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanrose.html

Post by JordanRose »

I am actually in the middle of reading Pride and Prejudice for the first time! I can't believe I've never read it before!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Candide by Voltaire
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
rida
Favorite Author: A lot
Favorite Book: More than favorite authors
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rida.html
Latest Review: "Skive" by Paul Adam Levy

Post by rida »

JordanRose wrote:I am actually in the middle of reading Pride and Prejudice for the first time! I can't believe I've never read it before!

Tell me about it. I can't believe I wasted 22 years of my life without reading it
Read, read & eat then read some more
Latest Review: "Skive" by Paul Adam Levy
book2014

Post by book2014 »

annasheridan wrote:I've read a few classics in my lifetime, but I have a whole stack waiting for me at the moment!
And I also love to read most of the books and I hope that you find time to read more.
Karla Ardon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karla-ardon.html

Post by Karla Ardon »

I currently just finished reading The Catcher in the Rye for the tenth time. I will never get tired of this book. It's too good!
Mschneider75

Post by Mschneider75 »

Dracula. I didn't realize how marvelous of a work it was and how changed Hollywood has made it.
tinegunner
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Favorite Book: The English Patient
Currently Reading: The Girl who Played with Fire
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinegunner.html
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by tinegunner »

I just read Persuasion by Jane Austen. As usual (With jane austen), I loved it. It was not her best book, but there's always something about her books that grab me and I cannot believe how good they are.

-- 02 Oct 2014, 18:10 --
Vivian21 wrote:The Scarlet Letter. This is one of my favorites. I know a great many people out there would disagree but I have to say, this book really does it for me.
I am also trying to read The House of the Seven Gables by Hawthorne. It is not as good as Scarlet Letter, it is quite hard to get into, but it sounds intriguing.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Mschneider75 wrote:Dracula. I didn't realize how marvelous of a work it was and how changed Hollywood has made it.
I agree, Dracula & Mary Shelley's Frankenstein are two books Hollywood absolutely mangled IMO.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
hephaestion
Favorite Author: Virginia Woolf
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: Giovannis Room
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephaestion.html
fav_author_id: 2470

Post by hephaestion »

I recently finished A Passage to India, but I also read Dracula over the summer and am currently reading Jane Eyre. I've been trying to read more classics lately, so we'll see what happens.
Toritho
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toritho.html

Post by Toritho »

My last term in college, which was only a few months ago, I took a Jane Austen class, so we read all of her finished novels except Persuasion, since we'd all already read it in a previous class, although I'm thinking about rereading it now that I have so much more background knowledge.
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

Last year I read Les Miserables and this summer I read Waiting for Godot
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”