What is your dream library?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jolie
Favorite Author: Margaret Atwood
Favorite Book: All of them
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jolie.html
fav_author_id: 3668

What is your dream library?

Post by Jolie »

Mine would be a mansion in the middle of the forest. My reading room would be surrounded crystal clear glass to able to look outside. I coffee pot should be included while im reading c:

What would yours be like?(: imagination
"War is what happens when language fails" ~Margaret Atwood
Shinyfox
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinyfox.html

Post by Shinyfox »

Shelves no higher than 6 feet tall, that way you don't have to use ladders or step stools to grab them off of the shelf! Old fashioned chandelier hanging from the ceiling. Cool colors & foresty colors. Browns, Greens, Blues! Plush carpet that your feet sink into. High windows to let in lots of light, a window seat or two & a couch! Probably a few papasan or mushroom chairs. And Books, lots and lots of books. I don't much care WHERE the library is situated, as long as it isn't in the dead center of a city :)
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

My dream library would be in an old villa somewhere on the countryside far away from the city. It would have high ceilings and tall windows. Wooden floors with Persian rugs of burgundy and gold and matching drapes for the windows. In the center of the library, there would be a large fireplace with Victorian armchairs in front of it, where I can sit and read comfortably. It would of course have many large bookcases filled with various books, but mostly with antique books. :)
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
Kzin

Post by Kzin »

Middle of an aquarium.
Phlo

Post by Phlo »

Books, no dust, no cleaning, lots of natural light and a great reading chair. Plus an endless supply of iced lemon tea.
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

Not dream library but my dream room for books is surrounded by bookshelves and there is an old chair and desk in the middle where no one can interrupt me.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
Shinyfox
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinyfox.html

Post by Shinyfox »

Kzin wrote:Middle of an aquarium.
Ohhh that would be really cool. My only question is, are we talking about middle of an aquarium like the places that have the various displays of fish? Or in the middle of your own aquarium? A room with your books, encased in clear glass so you can see the fish swimming all around you? Because either way I like the idea :D
jenniferhurley
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferhurley.html

Post by jenniferhurley »

somewhere quiet, lots of natural light, no tall shelves that i can't reach, and a really comfy chair
NanahoChan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanahochan.html

Post by NanahoChan »

Beanbags and chocolate milk/beverages and snacks everywhere, with like lava lamps and ya...
Xal
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xal.html

Post by Xal »

My dream library is a library where the floor is clean, white, fine grain sand. I'd becareful not to get my books dirty. I just love sand. :)
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

My dream library would be a really old tower up in the mountains with bookshelves from floor to ceiling on multiple levels and stained glass windows. There would be a huge fireplace on each floor and big, comfy armchairs. And I want dark wood for my shelves and old leather bound books on one side of the room. No, wait, I might have confused this with my idea of heaven...
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
Anna Meyer
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-meyer.html
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa

Post by Anna Meyer »

One where one doesn't get an allergic reaction from old paper/books...one where children can go and read as well and be safe. One where one can sit and read without being disturbed or feel uncomfortable. A cosy place, that has lounges as well... clean and welcoming toilets and that has a homely atmosphere, meaning you will find flower pots and sunlight and clean, open space... friendly staff... you have to feel comfortable, safe and clean.
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Beautiful bookshelves surrounding a comfy room with good light. Good windows to see the sun in the summer and the snow in the winter. Cats to ignore you and dogs to demand your attention.

Oh...and books. Lots of books!
On lots of subjects!

(Dream library would be the one from Fablehaven. Sharks swimming around in mid-air? An octopus hanging off the couch? Fish darting around you? Yes please!)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you meant the CONTENT of the dream library. And I was going to write things like, It has the complete works of Agatha Christie, P.G. Wodehouse, Dick Francis, Ellis Peters, Alexander McCall Smith, C.S. Lewis, G.K. Chesterton, and Tolkien, for starters ...

Now I realize you're talking about the facility itself. Asking that is like asking about my dream house and property, which is like asking about my dream life. And there are several of those. Self-sufficient cabin in the Idaho wilderness? Beautiful old house in New England? My actual very own house with my actual very own family, but better? Ah, the possibilities ...

Still, it would have to have ...
- walls covered in bookshelves, with the occasional knickknack niche (better if all this was original to the house)
- natural light, preferably with a forest view
- comfy seating, tables nearby for cups of tea
- writing desk
- bathroom and kitchenette nearby, if not actually in the library :-)
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
mui-scrimp
Favorite Book: This question is impossible
Currently Reading: The Red Queen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mui-scrimp.html

Post by mui-scrimp »

Mine would be in a big, Victorian style house, with huge shelves about 10 feet tall. I'm pretty short, but I think it would be pretty fun to have shelves that high and to use a ladder to get to the best books at the top. There would be a sci fi section, and a non fiction section that was constantly updated to keep up with the newest discoveries. Of course, fantasy and legends will also be there. Classic and contemporary. The last thing I would love is a bunch of quiet corners, hidden from the rest of the library. Places you can hide and read.
There are weapons you cannot hold in your hands. You can only hold them in your mind.
-Brian Herbert

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”