Do you feel it is rude to interrupt someone while reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
obiebookworm
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obiebookworm.html
Latest Review: "The Little Ladybug" by Amelia May
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: Do you feel it is rude to interrupt someone while readin

Post by obiebookworm »

I do think it is rude to interrupt someone while reading! Yet I am been rightly accused of not being reciprocal to other readers, namely my dear sweet hubby. Fortunately, I've paid heed and have renounced my sins. :oops:
Obiebookworm
curlybookworm
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curlybookworm.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by curlybookworm »

Definitely! I don't want to be interrupted, especially when I'm reading my favorite book. But I can't just flare up towards the person who interrupts if it's reasonable, or maybe an emergency situation. I can still be polite amid irksome situation like this. :)
Linda7228
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Blood Weddings by Federico Garcia Lorca
Currently Reading: Heist Society
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda7228.html
Latest Review: "The Sham" by Ellen Allen
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Linda7228 »

Yes, it's incredibly rude. I really don't like being interrupted especially when your getting into the best part of the book right after the plot twist when you really want to know whats going to happen.
Latest Review: "The Sham" by Ellen Allen
mvg_80
Favorite Book: The catcher in the rye
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvg-80.html

Post by mvg_80 »

I think it's like disturbing someone who is sleeping and maybe having a beautiful dream.
obiebookworm
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obiebookworm.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by obiebookworm »

mvg_80 wrote:I think it's like disturbing someone who is sleeping and maybe having a beautiful dream.
Good description!
Obiebookworm
silvay77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvay77.html

Post by silvay77 »

It all depends on what the interuption is about. If it is something silly then yes. If I am reading I don't like to be interupted but since I have two small girls they decide my reading time for them is play time. So I tend to read at night. Any ways I get really annoied if disturbed unless its an emergency or something of importance.
barbie25

Post by barbie25 »

Oh my! Why do I like interrupting someone who is engrossed in reading? I am very rude.

Well now, I am enlightened. Thanks for this post.
Karlareads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karlareads.html

Post by Karlareads »

Personally, I do think interrupting someone while they're reading is rude. This is why I usually read in libraries, coffee shops, or in my room, basically anywhere quiet! :)
DanielFullard

Post by DanielFullard »

....my girlfriend does.....the amount of times I have been snapped at for inter putting her reading the latest James Patterson or Karin Slaughter :)
Bookwoman
Currently Reading: MASH
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwoman.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Bookwoman »

I feel quite divided on this topic. Reading is like any other activity that people undertake and it kind of depends on where you are physically located while you are reading...for example, if you are reading in the family room or other public space with other people, you would probably get interrupted because you are sort of part of the group (friends or family). Conversely If you are in your own room or somewhere secluded, to me that would indicate that you want to be left alone because you have intentionally moved yourself away from people, interrupting someone then, by invading that space for something trivial is definitely rude.
For people who don't have the luxury of personal space, I would recommend what others have mentioned on this post, let people know you are not to be disturbed unless its an emergency while you are reading, most considerate people once you have said this a couple of times would take the hint and wont disturb you when they see you reading.
I have been interrupted a few times right when I am at the juicy bit of the book and it is irritating but if its something that's not important I usually tell the person that I will listen to them once I am done with 'this bit' in the book. It does break your concentration but if the book is good enough, it easy to get right back into it, at least its been easy for me.
sadya
Favorite Book: Too many to name 1.
Currently Reading: Too many to name them all.

Post by sadya »

It's one of the reasons that if I wanted to read at work during lunch break, I'd sit somewhere outside, or somewhere inside, but alone so people would really understand that I'd rather not be interrupted during that break.

-- Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:19 pm --

It's one of the reasons that if I wanted to read at work during lunch break, I'd sit somewhere outside, or somewhere inside, but alone so people would really understand that I'd rather not be interrupted during that break.
kimcar12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimcar12.html

Post by kimcar12 »

I'm not sure that it's rude, but I definitely think its annoying. It's almost impossible to read anything with a 4 year old, 2 year old and 1 year old to watch. I sneak in a little during naps or other activities but never feel like I can really get into a book until all the kids are in bed. Then I finally feel like I have some freedom to freely enjoy a story. Nope, not true. Then comes the husband who interrupts constantly. I need a "Wo-Man Cave" to hide!
Manaobi

Post by Manaobi »

YES!!!!

It is very rude to interupt when someone is reading. Only a reader can understand this feeling of another reader. It so happens that, sometimes we get so much involved and lost in the book that we don't want to come back to real life. But an interuption breaks it all and disrupts the chain of thoughts. It's like waking someone up horribly in the muddle of a night.
thereadingpanda
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thereadingpanda.html

Post by thereadingpanda »

It's annoying when I'm reading a really good book that I don't want to put down
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I think it's not really rude to interrupt someone when they are reading, but it does bring you out of 'the zone' and can be really annoying. Especially if it's something unimportant. But I find it most annoying when people keep interrupting you. You know, your friend sees a new post on facebook and just seems to have something to say about it every 30 seconds. Until you smack her head with the book, that is...
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”