Do you feel it is rude to interrupt someone while reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Re: Do you feel it is rude to interrupt someone while readin

Post by GKCfan »

Yes. I hate it when somebody interrupts my reading, especially when they act like it's no big deal.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Rude, yes. Unpardonable, no. But that is as far as I take it. :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
aradtke
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by aradtke »

On one hand, I think it's rude. On the other, I understand why my family does it. If they didn't, they would NEVER get to speak to me because I get in the reading zone and can't quite seem to come out of it until they've said my name for several minutes.
acwood
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwood.html

Post by acwood »

Yes, if I'm interrupted for irrelevant or inane things. If it's something important, then I can put the book down, but if it's something that can wait, it should wait. I'm reading for a reason, and it's usually to get away from said inane things.
ksjennin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksjennin.html

Post by ksjennin »

Only if it is a common occurrence.
Vanessa_J25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessa-j25.html

Post by Vanessa_J25 »

Oh my gosh yes!!!! I HATE it when i'm reading and anyone from my family interrupts me! i know how it feels so if i see anyone reading, i just wait patiently until they get to a part where they are satisfied to stop at in order to talk to me. i'll probably make a sign that says 'do not disturb.' i would add that i'm reading but one of my brothers doesn't care if i am, and will interrupt anyway or on purpose.
SweetLilCarrie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetlilcarrie.html

Post by SweetLilCarrie »

In most cases, yes I think it is rude to interrupt someone while they are reading. I know that I personally do not want to be interrupted while I am pretty much devouring a book. If it is something highly important, not an issue. However if you are interrupting me to ask me , "What are you doing? " I am very likely to get pretty upset with you because isn't it obvious what I'm doing?? Yes, this has happened to me on many occasions.
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

If it's important than it's all good, but if someone absolutely must interrupt me then I prefer they do it nicely, or with as little sound as possible. Like a tap on the shoulder or light knock on the table sort of thing. I react to that much better than I do being tugged on or spoken loudly to.
AaronMoshe1989

Post by AaronMoshe1989 »

Johntherobert wrote:Yes very, that's why library's are quiet, everyone's reading.
unfortunately not everyone goes to the library to read.
Kmikel0509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmikel0509.html

Post by Kmikel0509 »

I don't think it's rude if they're quick about it. If they ask me what I'm reading they can't get offended if I just hold up the cover for them to see while I read, though.
caryjr73
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 333
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caryjr73.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Island by Amit Offir

Post by caryjr73 »

Yes, extremely...but I am finding that it happens less often. Not sure if the growth of smartphone use has anything to do with it, but when I do a reading session at a coffee shop it is almost as quiet as a library with everyone plugged into their devices and wearing earbuds.
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

Unless it is for something important, or is by someone important, I think it's incredibly rude to interrupt someone while they are reading. Especially if its rather clear that the reader would like you to stop trying to talk to them and you just keep right on talking about something. Like, I'm sorry but my book is infinitely more important to me right now, please go away.
Jean
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jean.html

Post by Jean »

I think it is rude if it is done more than once during a particular session (with no good reason) - but I suppose it all depends.
irene8yang
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene8yang.html

Post by irene8yang »

Reading is a very personal solo activity! I definitely feel terrible interrupting readers as I know how intense it feels to be fully engrossed in a story; in fact, it is just as bad as interrupting a film!
t+vaughn
Favorite Author: Eric Jerome Dickey
Favorite Book: A thousand splendid suns
Currently Reading: The Perfect Crime
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-vaughn.html
fav_author_id: 9072

Post by t+vaughn »

I must agree that interrupting while a person is reading is very rude. At times the interruption may be necessary, however reading does take you away. For me, it is almost like being startled or shaken roughly out of your sleep. No Bueno.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”