Modern fairytale retellings

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
fifthmayfly
Favorite Author: Rick Yancey
Favorite Book: The Hot Zone and Divergent Series
Currently Reading: The Wolf Princess
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifthmayfly.html
fav_author_id: 3497

Re: Modern fairytale retellings

Post by fifthmayfly »

One of my absolute favorites is Enchanted by Heather Dixon. It's a modern re-write of the tale of the 12 dancing princesses. It's got a lot of magic, romance, and intrigue without being unoriginal.
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

Splintered trilogy, The Looking Glass Wars trilogy, as well, are good too.
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

I love fairytale retellings! The best one I can think of is Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine, but I've enjoyed most of the ones I've read. Rapunzel's Revenge is an excellent comic book take on Rapunzel except as a Western, and one of my favorite comic books. I'm trying to work my way through the Lunar Chronicles now, and Cinder, the first one, is a retelling of Cinderella.
I'm trying to write my own retelling of Beauty and the Beast as a superhero story now.
Carabella1226
Favorite Author: Everyone
Favorite Book: Anything that pulls me in and holds on
Currently Reading: What am I not reading is the question
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carabella1226.html

Post by Carabella1226 »

Retelling of fairytales is in my top favorite of books to read. I have recently found an Author that does amazing at retelling. Marie Hall adds her own modern twists in her Kingdom Series starting with Her Mad Hatter. A modern twist of Alice and Mad Hatter. There are tons of other amazing fairytales that have been made modern from other authors as well but this woman should be checked out as well.
Good books Don't give up all there secrets at once.
- Stephen King
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Currently reading a Peter Pan retelling called Neverland Academy. Seems pretty interesting so far. 8)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I found out about a Neverland reimagining called Unhooked by Lisa Maxwell.
The cover is gorgeous, and the premise sounds really interesting (the pirate just might be the hero of this particular story :wink: ).
It's coming out soon, and I'm horribly intrigued! :D
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Nina B
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-b.html
Reading Device: B00OZTU156

Post by Nina B »

I love retellings of fairy tales, my favorite that I can think of right now is Cinder
zumanajim
Currently Reading: Allies of the Night
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zumanajim.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by zumanajim »

The Lunar Chonicles like Yasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss and like baeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and like lifeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Fairytale retellings are amazing. I never get bored reading them and I especially love it when it has a dark twist to it, it makes it interesting. I just finished reading "An Unfortunate Fairy Tale" series by Chanda Hahn. This series has 5 books and it's about a young girl named Mina Grime who is actually descended from the Brothers Grimm and she has to face fairy tale quests in order to save her family. The books were very clever and fun.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
TRose73
Currently Reading: Soul Magic
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trose73.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by TRose73 »

While not strictly a retelling, Mercedes Lackey has some books out in her 500 Kingdoms series which take fairy tales and turn them into a force called the Tradition. "The Fairy Godmother" is the first book in this series, and through the heroine who was destined to become a Cinderella princess with no prince available, we learn that just because things don't always work out the way a story SHOULD, there are always other paths available.

Mercedes Lackey also has a few other books based on fairy tales, such as "The Fire Rose." That is a a very good retelling of Beauty and the Beast set in the early 1900s in the USA.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

I have read a lot of different fairytale retellings like the Cinder series: Cinderella where Cinder is a cyborg trying to save the planet (it also has some elements from other fairytales). Splintered, I am starting Looking Glass Wars.

Melanie Dickerson (I think that's the spelling) has the fairytales done with Christian elements like Merchants Daughter is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. I enjoyed the Wicked series, and have Mirror Mirror on my shelf to be read next. There is a manga series called Alice in the Country of Hearts, and another Pandora Hearts that play off of Alice in Wonderland.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Can't remember if I listed Alice by Christina Henry on here, or not :eusa-think:

It's a very dark, adult, sci-fi take on the Alice story. I really enjoyed it.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Lissethe_H
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 948
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lissethe-h.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Lissethe_H »

In my case, I love them too! My favorites are the Lunar Chronicles saga and the duology called The wrath and the dawn. I´m interested in one called The Forbidden Wish, a retelling of Aladdin, actually my favorites, I think (is one of my favorite tales). I´m going to read all the recomendations, though :D
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

I think retellings are really interesting, especially when they're subversive and breaks apart expectations. I like to re-read my own favorite classics, and reading how someone else has interpreted them in terms of theme and setting is really interesting!
Lia A
Favorite Book: Aurora Rising
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lia-a.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Lia A »

I have read the Lunar Chronicles and the Land of Stories.
The Lunar Chronicles have been some of my favorite books for years!
“𝓞𝓷𝓮 𝓶𝓾𝓼𝓽 𝓪𝓵𝔀𝓪𝔂𝓼 𝓫𝓮 𝓬𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓸𝓯 𝓫𝓸𝓸𝓴𝓼, 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝔀𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓲𝓼 𝓲𝓷𝓼𝓲𝓭𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓶, 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓭𝓼 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓹𝓸𝔀𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝓸 𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓮 𝓾𝓼.”
― 𝓒𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓻𝓪 𝓒𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮, (𝓒𝓵𝓸𝓬𝓴𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓴 𝓐𝓷𝓰𝓮𝓵)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”