Book Recommendation

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
EmilyXinRui
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyxinrui.html

Book Recommendation

Post by EmilyXinRui »

Any good book that is fiction, has series, and consist of exciting and unorthodox plot?
kbenson2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kbenson2.html

Post by kbenson2 »

Have you tried the Dan Brown books? They aren't technically a series. But there is a definite order to the books: Angels and Demons, the Da Vinci Code, The Lost Symbol, Inferno. HIs books are exciting, fast-paced and filled with detail. And you never see the twist at the coming. Which for me is a big plus since a lot of can be predictable.
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

On the lighter side you might try Piers Anthony's Xanth series, they are full of puns and word play. The first few are hilarious, but I warn you that the later ones get a bit trite and obsessive.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
Pauleen_Joy

Post by Pauleen_Joy »

I would recommend books of John Green and Cecilia Ahern...
EmilyXinRui
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyxinrui.html

Post by EmilyXinRui »

Yeah, I've read Dan Brown's the Da Vinci Code, and I am currently reading the Deception Point. They are good :)
Have never tried Piers Anthony's Xanth series, but I'll get to them soon. Thank you.
I like John Green and Cecelia Ahern's book.
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by allesha »

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. There are three books in the series.
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
Embracing_Madness
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-embracing-madness.html

Post by Embracing_Madness »

Lynn Abbey's Time series was a light and fun read! It involves time travel, dream wastelands, swashbuckling ghosts and evil creatures...perfect combination. My only critique would be that I wish the novels explored the themes they touched upon with more depth, but otherwise it's great.
Noeld
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noeld.html

Post by Noeld »

I don't know of a recommendation for you, but these replies have definitely helped me find books.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Norma_Rudolph wrote:On the lighter side you might try Piers Anthony's Xanth series, they are full of puns and word play. The first few are hilarious, but I warn you that the later ones get a bit trite and obsessive.
That is so true. The series completely degenerated. Not only that, it jumped the shark.
242bookworm

Post by 242bookworm »

I am a big fan of the crime/mystery genre. There are a few series that I find rather enjoyable. My absolute favorites would be James Patterson's series: The Alex Cross books and The Women's Murder Club books. I also am very intrigued by Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone mysteries. Another series I recently stumbled upon, to my delight, is the Hannah Swensen Mysteries by Joanne Fluke. This series is a bit unorthodox and actually has a "down home and charming" feel. The action is not as fast paced as the other series mentioned, but I found it captivating.
sadya
Favorite Book: Too many to name 1.
Currently Reading: Too many to name them all.

Post by sadya »

I like the Alan Bradley books about Flavia de Luce. They're funny, there is suspense, the plot never bores, the main character is the most unlikely person to solve crimes, yet she does and is actually one of my favourite fictional characters. I'm even planning to read another book from that series, if I can find it in our local library today.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”