Ever been recommended a popular book and hated it?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
LoremasterTappa
Favorite Author: Christie Golden
Favorite Book: Depends on the week
Currently Reading: War Crimes by Christie Golden
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4515

Ever been recommended a popular book and hated it?

Post by LoremasterTappa »

My coworkers all seem to love this book series so I read it, or at least tried to. It bored me to tears. I usually can't pick up another book until one is done, but with this series I can't seem to go back and even finish it. I noticed the series has several fans on this site so I won't mention its name, but have you ever been recommended a book that everyone else seems to love but you can't stand?
"Without books as our anchors, we are cast adrift, neither teaching nor learning. They are windows on the past, mirrors on the present, and prisms reflected all possible futures. Books are lighthouses erected on the dark sea of time.”
― Greg Weisman
ghostpixie
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghostpixie.html
Latest Review: "The Dirt Bible" by Wiilliam Woods

Post by ghostpixie »

Now I'm curious to know what the books were! I doubt you'd be judged harshly for your opinion- it's just that: your opinion! :) Anyway, yes, I've been in this situation before. It's how I feel with 50 Shades of Grey!!
Latest Review: "The Dirt Bible" by Wiilliam Woods
LoremasterTappa
Favorite Author: Christie Golden
Favorite Book: Depends on the week
Currently Reading: War Crimes by Christie Golden
fav_author_id: 4515

Post by LoremasterTappa »

Haha. It's the Kingkiller Chronicles. Everyone else I talk to seems to absolutely love this series. I just can't seem to enjoy it. That's not to say I don't admire the author. Anyone who writes is awesome in my book.
"Without books as our anchors, we are cast adrift, neither teaching nor learning. They are windows on the past, mirrors on the present, and prisms reflected all possible futures. Books are lighthouses erected on the dark sea of time.”
― Greg Weisman
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

I was recommended Bare to you by Silvia Day and I just couldn't get into it and wondered what all the hype was about.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
writerbugg
Currently Reading: The Martian
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writerbugg.html

Post by writerbugg »

I'm not what people see if the Stephanie Plum books. I read the first one and at present can't bring myself to read the next one. Because of the Plum books I was hesitatnt to try another series I saw as similar. The Hannah Swenson mysteries. I took a chance and am glad. It's smoothing away the bad taste of Stephanie Plum.

Thankfully though, I don't have many friends that have read it. The one friend who suggested I read it can't understand why I don't find it funny. She claims the grandma is hilarious. I can't get past the other characters to enjoy the grandma, unfortunately. :s
kwill662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwill662.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by kwill662 »

This happens to me quite often! The bad part about it is that it is usually by my mother. We have complete different taste in books and she loves a particular author that just does not do anything for me. I have tried to read many of her books and none of them got me excited about reading.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
kaitlyniskay
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyniskay.html

Post by kaitlyniskay »

This has happened to me a few times with friends who I actually share the same taste in books with but hated their recommendations.
rebecca_lee23

Post by rebecca_lee23 »

Several times but most recently Harry Potter.
Now I understand 400 million copies sold worldwide is an indicator that this is not a popular opinion. And I don't condemn anyone who loves the series.

I just don't.

Perhaps if I was younger when I first read it, I may have enjoyed Rowling's work, however when I did read it I found it far too long-winded. It's not that there were an excess of pages but just the whole story-line seemed to drag on.

Let's just say when I read the words 'Put-Outer' used literally for a put-outer... :roll:

I would've thought J.K Rowling could come up with a more creative alternative.

But anyway that is my personal opinion of Harry Potter, a popular book that I ended up hating.
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

I don't know why but when someone recommends me a popular book I can't help but think if it is not good. I have no idea why I do that. Everyone recommends popular books, if someone recommends a rare book, that is precious for me.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
midgetgem
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midgetgem.html

Post by midgetgem »

When I was recommended 'The Fault in our Stars' I had great expectations for it as I'd not heard a single negative review about it. However, I failed to see the 'craze' about it! I thought it was a really nice book and I did enjoy it, but I didn't feel that I couldn't put it down and I was blown away by it. Does anybody else feel this way about it? (please don't hate more for saying this!)
RJohnReves
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnreves.html

Post by RJohnReves »

Someone suggested that I would like the "Mission Earth" series because I like sci-fi. They were horribly wrong. However the books made great non narcotic sleeping aids
e_bark46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-bark46.html

Post by e_bark46 »

One of my good friends is a librarian, so naturally when I need something new to read I ask for her opinion on what is popular/circulating well in the library to find a new book. Honestly, I'm still confused over how MANY of these were even published, much less gained popularity.
hvergaetira

Post by hvergaetira »

I didn't like Divergent very much. Interesting premise, but I felt the characters were flat. Just my opinion. I did enjoy The Hunger Games, though.
Kzin

Post by Kzin »

Eragon was one of the worst books I've ever read. The worst one I read was Maya Angelous book, which was the absolute worst.
Apple2011
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple2011.html

Post by Apple2011 »

midgetgem wrote:When I was recommended 'The Fault in our Stars' I had great expectations for it as I'd not heard a single negative review about it. However, I failed to see the 'craze' about it! I thought it was a really nice book and I did enjoy it, but I didn't feel that I couldn't put it down and I was blown away by it. Does anybody else feel this way about it? (please don't hate more for saying this!)
It is nice to know I'm not the only one! I did enjoy it, but not as much as I had hoped. Some of the characters felt flat to me. When I bought my copy I thought I would finish it in a night since it "couldn't be put down", but in reality it took me about a week. It was heartfelt, just didn't keep my attention.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”