Library or owning?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Eve-Olsen2005
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eve-olsen2005.html

Re: Library or owning?

Post by Eve-Olsen2005 »

Own! After a decade or so, the library might not have it any more! It has happened to me too many times :(
Sara_M

Post by Sara_M »

Definitely own... My book cases are very well stocked!! I can't help but feel bad that we are slowly moving away from hard books and into tablets etc. Even though I do have a few books on my tablet I just don't feel like swiping is the same as turning!!
pixstix
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixstix.html

Post by pixstix »

I love owning my favourites that I know I'll pick up again, but they just take up so much space in my very small apartment. Until I own my very own beauty and the beast sized library, I am trying to limit the number of books I own to the ones I know I'll reread or buy the digital edition books (even though it's not the same experience!)
pattycake8

Post by pattycake8 »

Both, unfortunately I only have so much space for my own books so the library is nice.
Swanangel15
Favorite Author: To many to count
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swanangel15.html

Post by Swanangel15 »

Growing up, my mother always threatened me that since I always have my face in a book, that one day when I come home from school, all y books would be a pile of ashes in the backyard. So To save the threat, I borrowed more from the Library than bought, because I knew she could not have burned those books! HA HA
animalgirl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-animalgirl.html

Post by animalgirl »

Even though I rarely read a book more than once, I own all my own including my Kindle books. I just like to know that they're exclusively mine and I can always go back and read if I want to.
lily-mack
Currently Reading: American on Purpose
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-mack.html

Post by lily-mack »

As an avid reader my entire life, I have always wanted to own the books and usually purchased the hard cover version. My dream was to have a home 'library.' However, my home is now overflowing with books (far beyond the space originally allocated); books that I know I will never read again, and downsizing seems to make more sense. Therefore, I am going through my 'library' and getting rid of those books I will never read again, reading those books I haven't yet read, and gathering a new 'library of eBooks in the Cloud.' I am still going to keep some books...enough for one five-shelf bookcase...these will be biographies of famous people, past and present. I have also recently purchased my first collectible--a 1934 first edition of 'Rebecca' and may add others as I happen to run across a 'deal.'

You see, for the past ten years, I have made my living as a freelance editor, whose clients are mostly 'Indie' authors, so in addition to reading and editing manuscripts, I am reading one hard cover book and one eBook at all times. I simply love the written word and, since I am not a writer, what better way to enjoy the experience than to help bring the work of others to the public? This is the work I was meant to do, after over thirty years of slaving in 'Corporate America.' Now I understand when people say, "Do something you love, and you'll never work a day in your life."
wordfreak72

Post by wordfreak72 »

I own series of books. I will reread them again and again. I will borrow books from the library if I am interested in trying a new author. See if I like them. There is no sense in spending all that money to find out you didn't care for the book. Not to mention the 3-5 book a week habit can get very expensive. I using the physical building library and the virtual libraries. They are both great ways to discover new series and authors.
kbangs
Currently Reading: Arctic Warriors
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kbangs.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 6

Post by kbangs »

I prefer owning but I do enjoy the library. The atmosphere makes the difference.
actopan55

Post by actopan55 »

I personally prefer to own. I read a book, and if it strikes a cord with me I go back and read it later. I do enjoy going to the library but I hate having to return the books. I have so much to keep track of and the due date is just something else to put on the list.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I prefer to own my books but I also like to read the book before I purchase it, so I will either borrow it for the library or download it from a book app on my phone if I can find it.
bradj12

Post by bradj12 »

I have to own books. I don't have a valid reason for owning besides that I love to build my library.
kca4516
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kca4516.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by kca4516 »

I usually own my books, but it seems almost wasteful since I almost never read a book more than once and then I have all these books stacked up with no where to put them. I like to go get books from the library but my local library doesn't often have books I would like to read. My kindle has been a life saver since I can get books cheaper than print and they don't take up any room in my small apartment.
pandabear120991

Post by pandabear120991 »

i personally prefer owning books instead of library. i like to be able to see everything that i have read and have the option of reading them again in the future. plus i love the smell of new books instead of the smell of library books.
sadya
Favorite Book: Too many to name 1.
Currently Reading: Too many to name them all.

Post by sadya »

Both. I love going to the library, always have. When I was a teenager, I finally had my own library card, I'd go almost every week. It was like a day out to me, being surrounded by all those books, so many stories, so many genres, then to pick a few, back home, often which book I'd begin reading first was a difficult choice.

I'm 37 now and still love going to the library. My children and I rent dvd's and my son often rents games from the library too. So I go more often nowadays just to return or pick up a dvd or a game. Yet, when I finish reading and need new library books, it still becomes like a nice day out for me again. Not in the same way though, as a teenager most of the time I had no name of a writer or a book, I just went, sometimes looked if authors I had previously enjoyed reading had more books, but other than that, I just read the covers of interesting looking books to pick a few. Nowadays I have names of authors and books on a reading list. It's still exciting, looking forward to a certain book.

Over the years I have bought many new and used books. I can't afford to buy them all the time. And even when I can afford it, I'd still most often borrow a book from the library first, read it, and then if I like it and will probably want to read it again, only then I'll buy it. Lack of space is another problem. Once I didn't have enough space for new books anymore, so I gave away many books just to make place for the ones I wanted even more.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”