Library or owning?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
aaa123
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa123.html

Re: Library or owning?

Post by aaa123 »

Probably owning my own book to be honest.
casual_reader32
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by casual_reader32 »

I like owning..seems silly but sometimes i will borrow from a library first, then if i like the book i go buy my own copy.
Ck89reader
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ck89reader »

I am definitely a library person. Case in point: I have 11 books out from the library right now, with one that I need to return and one that I just started reading. If I like a book enough i then find deals for books. I rarely pay full price. Most of the books I own are bought used from book fairs and sales or on Amazon. The library is close to where I live and they have an array of choices, adding some variety into my reading. Regarding overdue fines, I check the library website at least every 2 days to make sure I do not have any fines.
peabody-63
Favorite Author: Elizabeth Peters
Favorite Book: The Flanders Panel
Currently Reading: A Guide for the Perplexed
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peabody-63.html
fav_author_id: 5594

Post by peabody-63 »

I love libraries. They allow me to challenge my reading styles and subjects without much investment. If I am looking to expand into new genres, the library is the best place to begin. I don't feel like I have to make an investment other than time so am more likely to try new stuff. I will always own books that are important to me or that I want to keep over time.
wordscrafter

Post by wordscrafter »

Both! The library: books I'm not sure about, discovering a new author, when I'm low on funds. Owning: when I'm sure about the book, or the author, and when I just have to have it. And owning doesn't have to be new. I'm fine with used, as well as paperback.
Gotta Book
Favorite Book: The Nickel Boys
Currently Reading: Godshot
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gotta-book.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B07X4GF8HS

Post by Gotta Book »

I used to own all of my books, and then I got overrun with them. I switched to strictly kindle so even if I do buy one at least it is not taking up space. But I also read so much that I would go broke buying all of them so I really prefer to get my books for free, through the library.

I hate buying a kindle book only to find out I dislike it. At least with a real book a person could pass it on to someone else or maybe sell it at a yard sale. With a kindle book it is just wasted money. So I only buy kindle books that I am already sure I am going to like it: authors I already know, maybe a series I already started or something that has come recommended to me from someone who knows my taste in reading.
NGosney

Post by NGosney »

Both.

I love LOVE owning my own copies of books, but I simply haven't the money or the shelf space to be able to own every single book I would like to.
If it's a Tom Holt book, then I will definitely buy it as he's my favourite author and I know I'm sure to love it.
If it's a book by another author that I'm not as familiar with, then I borrow from the library.

My 9 year old daughter devours books as well, and at first I bought books galore for her, but now her bedroom is rapidly running out of room to house them all so we switched to the library for her as well as myself.
muggle

Post by muggle »

I favor the library. Last year I read approx. 77 books and 55 were downloaded from the library to my kindle. It would have been pretty expensive for me to have bought all the books. Besides, it is so convenient to simply download a book to the kindle which can be done at any time of the day.

I have given the library well over 100 of my hard copy books, most donations occurred when we moved to N.C.
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

I definitely like owning all of my books, but sometimes financially, that just isn't possible for me, therefore I like going to the library to get my books as well.
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
tilly786
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tilly786.html

Post by tilly786 »

Having my own book because it is personal and I can treasure.
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

I prefer the library because it costs less, but I also borrow books from friends and family. Still, I'm glad I have my own copies of my favorite books so I can reread.
Annie_1900

Post by Annie_1900 »

I am an owner of books. The library, although a great place to visit, is not where I like to get my books from. My first reasoning is like other users have commented. I am horrible about returning books. Then the fees add up. I also feel awful for that book not being available for others. My other reason for owning books is that I love being able to go through my own personal library and rereading a book whenever the mood hits me.
subtledge
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by subtledge »

I'll read books from the library. The ones that I love I will buy for myself, especially reference books.
vasokosm93

Post by vasokosm93 »

I prefer owning books!!! even if in electronic forms... I can totally understand how good it feels to read a book that was read by so many other people - having yellow pages, sth noted, this specific smell- but that is the reason why I also prefer second hand books ;) So after all, owning a book is much better -and it would stay in your library for you children and grandchildren as well!
Kels_89

Post by Kels_89 »

As much as I believe libraries are a necessary part of the community, I prefer to buy and keep my books. I'm sure part of my problem is that I think I still owe $7 or so to my local library from probably about a decade ago...which is arbitrary, I realize, but I just can't face the shame of not paying my fines to a library. That's like accidentally knocking over a kid on crutches and then pretending you didn't notice, so you kept walking because you knew if you turned around, the kid would just be shaking his head and flipping you off. How embarrassing.

Also, I just like having books so I can force them on my friends and family - "Oh, you don't have time to go pick up this book that I demand you read? Well, here - borrow my copy!" Then they have to begrudgingly agree to take it. Works like a charm.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”