Library or owning?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Brenda1721
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Library or owning?

Post by Brenda1721 »

I love libraries and after I discovered my love for reading I usually was in there......unfortunately where I'm at, I have not seen a library as big as those from Chicago but I love having my own collection. I once read all 24 books of a series, I dont' remember the titles, I just remember there was this one girl and this guy in a wheel chair, very good books, and I could never acquire them because they were the libraries, at that time I hadn't really thought about owning.....now I want to create my own personal library, which I am slowly growing. :mrgreen:
hvotruba1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hvotruba1.html

Post by hvotruba1 »

Library, unless it's a favorite. I hope to someday have a library room in my house, but right now I just don't have the space. I have Alice In Wonderland, Alice Through the Looking Glass, The Book of Lost Things, Twilight Series, the Bible, many Stephen King books, and some random books mid series that I purchased because I couldn't wait for it to be available at the library.

-- 04 Nov 2014, 07:14 --

PS. Plus, the library is my quiet space. Even if I have 10 books checked out already at home, if I need to get away I go to the library. I grab a handful of random books, fiction, non-fiction, cookbooks, bios, you name it, grab a comfy chair and make camp. I love being surrounded by books, by the smell of old books, by the hush of people who are there to get lost, like me.
SweetLilCarrie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetlilcarrie.html

Post by SweetLilCarrie »

I love owning my own books. Especially for the certain authors that I am collecting (there are a few.) Although if it is a book that I don't plan on keeping, I prefer going to the library. I also like getting books from the library if I'm reading something new or different. I hate buying a book and then end up not liking it. I also like to go to thrift stores and get books for very cheap and read them and then pass them on.
MysteryReader95
Currently Reading: Armed and Fabulous by Camilla Chafer
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mysteryreader95.html

Post by MysteryReader95 »

I like library books because if I don't like the book, I didn't spend any money on it. I can just take it back.
Kmikel0509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmikel0509.html

Post by Kmikel0509 »

Definitely owning! There's just something about knowing that you don't have to rush to read a book and that you can reread it whenever you want to!
Jean
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jean.html

Post by Jean »

Owning books that I've read before and really liked. I wish there was some kind of e-book library- I would join up for sure!
drsush

Post by drsush »

It was quite a few years back, when I used to be the most frequenter in the library for books. But over the years, as I started earning a little I find that I feel good in owning the book which I read , little flaunting types although.
Book Worm 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-worm-5.html

Post by Book Worm 5 »

Same, I love owning a copy, because it is so nice when they are new. I also love looking at all my books on my shelves; they look so cool! :)
alazz

Post by alazz »

I am half and half. I love to own my own books, especially the ones I plan to read one than once and those that were childhood treasures. I like the library to try out new authors and audio books for my commute. Plus, they are a great place to check out cookbooks before I buy it and find out it only has one or two recipes I will actually use. And if I bought every book I read I would need to covert one of the other rooms to a storage for them all.
aishamary94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aishamary94.html

Post by aishamary94 »

I love owning books but I don't have a lot of money right now so library is a must for me. I love owning books because I never have a set time limit.
RenaissanceWoman
Favorite Author: Variable
Favorite Book: Changes Often
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renaissancewoman.html

Post by RenaissanceWoman »

As a full time RV'er with extremely limited space, I cannot carry physical books around with me. I like to listen to audio books whilst on the road, and can download them from the library for free. I occasionally download e-books, but not often. I also borrow paperbacks from the libraries of the campgrounds I stay at if time allows.
NanoWasabi
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: Watership Down
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanowasabi.html
Latest Review: "MXX: Agent Soldier" by Donald Schlising

Post by NanoWasabi »

I have a library right next door, and I have almost no income, so naturally library is going to be the better option for me. But even if I had money to spend on books, I would likely only get collectors editions. And I never get collectors edition books without reading them either, it just feels so nice to be able to read a special copy of a book.
Latest Review: "MXX: Agent Soldier" by Donald Schlising
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

Library,have used the library since I was a kid going with my parents,but also own about a bookshelf full of books.I also have about 800+ ebooks on my Kindle,most were freebies.
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
fav_author_id: 3314

Post by Janiac02 »

I use libraries to pick up research books, but I prefer to buy my reading materials and add to my kindle library. I like to re-read things pretty often, so it makes some sense for me to own the things I'm reading.

Of course, I do miss picking out a book on the spot at a store or library. Most of my purchases are premeditated now.
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
bradybunch84
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: The Secret Garden
Currently Reading: TheHaunted Hour edited by Manson
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by bradybunch84 »

I prefer to own my books. I like to revisit them by physically picking them up and remembering the contents. Sometimes just seeing them on a bookshelf is a comfort. But I do visit libraries and enjoying borrowing books. Sometimes I enjoy those books so much that I will go out and then buy a copy even though I already read the book. I just want to be able to rekindle the relationship with the book at a later time.
a wonderful companion in solitude - (a book)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”