Dystopian or Paranormal?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Enijmas
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enijmas.html

Re: Dystopian or Paranormal?

Post by Enijmas »

Check out the Juliette Chronicles; a recent find that features a futuristic dystopia with paranormal elements. It's an idea. (:
GwenWood
Favorite Author: Kim Harrison
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gwenwood.html
Reading Device: B01AZ7LT20
fav_author_id: 4193

Post by GwenWood »

Paranormal! Urban fantasy to be precise. I love a good vampire story. Witches and Weres too!
okayLexi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okaylexi.html

Post by okayLexi »

I would be fascinated by either. I have always been drawn to paranormal type books but lately have been catching up on several dystopian worlds. With that being said, I suddenly find that everyone is gravitating towards the dystopian books which leaves room for a really good paranormal book to break the fad.
cbmatte07
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbmatte07.html

Post by cbmatte07 »

I am a fan of both and if the storyline is captivating enough it will not matter what the genre is for me. I have been heavily interested in Paranormal since I was a young girl and first started my collection of R L Stine & Goosebumps, Fright Night too. All ghost stories. It eventually developed into a collection of Stephen King & Dean Koontz and anything paranormal on the more adult level. As for Dystopian, I am not sure if I have read much or don't recall any in particular if I did, but I have watched many films including Avatar and Hunger Games. I would be interested in reading the books of that genre too though.
anahal

Post by anahal »

Dystopian because I prefer the story line, however I do like some paranormal books. Good luck :)
jdheevee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdheevee.html

Post by jdheevee »

Paranormal
canste02
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-canste02.html

Post by canste02 »

I've been having trouble writing myself. I recently read The Hunger Games trilogy and they renewed my desire to write. I like both paranormal abs dystopian. I think my most read genre is probably paranormal though. I heard a while back that 'a good writer writes what they know', so if that's true take what you know and put a spin on it. Put yourself in the characters shoes, draw inspiration from your real life experiences and friends. Good luck

-- 24 Jul 2014, 19:08 --

I'm on my smartphone so please excuse any typos. I'm also new here and getting used to the forum/posting.
Reignsublime

Post by Reignsublime »

Definitely lean more toward dystopian. Love some of Philip K. Dick's stuff dealing with dystopian themes.
Just finished U4Ea by Jacob Miller and thought that was some of the better dystopian stuff I've read recently, though it was pretty short. Hoping it's story will continue though. But yeah... Paranormal seems way, way overdone at this time.
Dystopian is somewhat popular as well, but it's still nowhere close to being as wide-spread as the paranormal right now.
Or, at least it seems that way to me....
tattle_tale
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tattle-tale.html

Post by tattle_tale »

Definitely Dystopian :)
kwill662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwill662.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by kwill662 »

Dystopian in my opinion is better than paranormal. I like the dystopian books because as I am reading I can actually vision the world this way one day and typically they have a strong young woman who overcomes life!
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Chrysa Pap

Post by Chrysa Pap »

BOTH. :D
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

I love reading science-fiction. It just takes you to a world that you've never been before. So much fun!
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Dystopian. I don't read paranormal. Not my cup of tea.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
TiffanyJade
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyjade.html
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis

Post by TiffanyJade »

I love a good mix of both. The one thing I am sick of is love triangles. I just find them annoying and rather stupid sometimes.
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis
Meredith Troiano
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meredith-troiano.html

Post by Meredith Troiano »

Why choose?

I agree with TiffanyJade about the love triangles. I suppose that really goes along with YA though, mostly.

I tend to read more dystopian but if a little paranormal were thrown in there, it may open me up to a whole new genre!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”