Made up words in books. Like or dislike?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Re: Made up words in books. Like or dislike?

Post by allesha »

Amheiser wrote:In some cases I think it is almost necessary to have made up words in a story. I can't imagine a sci-fi book or book about another world or our world in the future without lots of made up words for things that haven't been invented or places that haven't been discovered. I also think it shows the authors' creativity when they make up a new word by combining some real words to get the point across or to get the feeling across.

I was thinking about sci-fi books too and I am in agreement!
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
Nina1703
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina1703.html

Post by Nina1703 »

Depending on how well and drawn in I am into the 'world' the author has created, made up words can almost seem 'normal'. I can't imagine fictional stories refraining from using made up words and terms. I think without them, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have many of the words in the English language that we have today because of words coined by previous authors in the past.
ghostpixie
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghostpixie.html
Latest Review: "The Dirt Bible" by Wiilliam Woods

Post by ghostpixie »

If it's a book for which it makes sense to have made-up words, like a fantasy book or some such, then no, it doesn't bother me. But in just a regular ol' book? No. It annoys me to no end to read all these made-up words.
Latest Review: "The Dirt Bible" by Wiilliam Woods
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

I actually like it, it can be fun
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
Ellandreading

Post by Ellandreading »

I believe it's cool for people to make up word in a book if it's a science fiction book with wizards and demons and stuff to make it fun and interesting to read.
RJohnReves
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnreves.html

Post by RJohnReves »

It depends. Entire made up languages annoy me. But occasionally some useful ones slip through. Silflay from Watership Down comes to mind. Do you grok it?
midgetgem
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midgetgem.html

Post by midgetgem »

I don't really like it when an author uses made up words, however if a character regularly uses a made up word in their speech or their thoughts I think this gives a personal feel to the book and gives the character a 'catchphrase' which I think is nice. However if the words are just used randomly all the time, like slang, I think it's 'tacky'.
paintergirl13

Post by paintergirl13 »

Words that are made up should come with a glossary and when writing them use a different font.
TiffanyJade
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyjade.html
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis

Post by TiffanyJade »

I feel like it makes it harder to get into the book sometimes. Like in the maze runner series they make up alot of weird names and nicknames and slang words which gets really annoying but once you finally get used to it it is quite a good series.
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis
RJohnReves

Post by RJohnReves »

Unless a book is set in "now" the author, if their characters use slang kinda gotta make it up. Slang evolves faster than viruses!
Neefoo
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: the murder of Roger Ackroyd
Currently Reading: Life After Life . KATE ATKINSON
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Neefoo »

Amheiser wrote:In some cases I think it is almost necessary to have made up words in a story. I can't imagine a sci-fi book or book about another world or our world in the future without lots of made up words for things that haven't been invented or places that haven't been discovered. I also think it shows the authors' creativity when they make up a new word by combining some real words to get the point across or to get the feeling across.
I totally agree with you ''Amheiser''
kayleymicek
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayleymicek.html

Post by kayleymicek »

Using made up words in books just makes me very confused and I very much dislike it.
RJohnReves

Post by RJohnReves »

If it is occasional useage that's not too bad. When every fifth word is made up I feel like I might as well be Reading War and Peace in Russian.
aMYethoughts
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amyethoughts.html

Post by aMYethoughts »

I love it! I think it adds to the creativity of the author. On a side note though, I hate it when an author will use the same word over and over and over again. For example, describing everything as "awe-inspiring." It seems lazy.
RJohnReves

Post by RJohnReves »

Especially since few things are truly 'awe-inspiring'

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”