Which Fictional Place Would You Live in if You Could Choose?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
krislynn_sd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Which Fictional Place Would You Live in if You Could Cho

Post by krislynn_sd »

Nathrad Sheare wrote:Rivendell! Hands down! What? Ivory spires, great falling waters, powerful, protective, and warm magic... Talk about great advertisement! :lol: Hm... Then there's Lothlorien... It's always nice and bright there... Choices, choices... :wink:
Lothlorien for me! It feels more protected and secure, but also peaceful and mysterious!

Rivendell seems more fun and lively, and while I like that - I'm totally about my peace
emmad88

Post by emmad88 »

Hogwarts. For reasons which in assuming are obvious =]
the_rural_juror
Currently Reading: The Russian Debutante's Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-rural-juror.html

Post by the_rural_juror »

Nathrad Sheare wrote:Rivendell! Hands down! What? Ivory spires, great falling waters, powerful, protective, and warm magic... Talk about great advertisement! :lol: Hm... Then there's Lothlorien... It's always nice and bright there... Choices, choices... :wink:
I agree, Rivendell!
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cogarae »

I would love to live in narnia! It sounds amazing with the snow and talking animals lol
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

cyndiha11 wrote:Hmmn, I think I would rather enjoy an enchanted castle as well, or maybe in Alicante from The Mortal Instruments. I would probably get a kick out of being a shadowhunter ;)
Alicante!!! I would also love to live in Camp Half Blood.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Post by aparsons »

My issue with Middle Earth is magic is leaving the land. My problem with Narnia is that it's pretty much a parallel to Heaven, and everyone has died in those books. I can't live in Stephen King's world unless I'm a supporting character (I wouldn't last long). OOOh, I know. I would live in Tamora Pierce's Circle of Magic location, The Winding Circle. It's a temple and most of the characters have magic.

-- 09 Feb 2016, 18:18 --
cogarae wrote:I would love to live in narnia! It sounds amazing with the snow and talking animals lol
I agree with you, however, "Narnia" is only one small country in the middle of a huge world with so many other cultures and locations. Also, at the end of the first book, the long winter ends and Santa comes to town! There is so much more the the series than just snow and talking animals.
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

This is a bit like seances where the medium tells the person that they were a prince or princess or some other celeb. But statistically, someone 400 years ago would be 99% peasants or serfs or slaves, living in total poverty and squalor.

Folks who would like to be in the Harry Potter universe have to understand that the chances are high that they'd be "muggles" (ordinary folks) and have zero connection with the wizard things. And anyone who thinks about living in a kingdom like Narnia has to also realize that the aristocracy of a feudal lifestyle is built on a huge population base of peasants. And the chances are that you'd be one of them, life expectancy of 35 maybe.

Which is why I choose the big space wheel in 2001. No feudalism, no rulers. Democracy.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Mune
Currently Reading: Revival
Bookshelf Size: 963
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mune.html
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Mune »

This is a difficult question, like moderntimes, I tend to think to literally about what kind of world it would be. My spouse says the Star Wars universe, but that place is always having whole planets destroyed and crazy rulers fighting. I love fantasy and scifi worlds, but most have some overbearing issue or fault. I think, if anything, I would want to live with ancient Celts in rural Ireland or the Vikings in the Slavic regions. I believe this is mostly due to my heritage and upbringing, but I could see myself in those places easier than anywhere else.
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

There's so many good ones to choose from! Right now I'd say The Shire...it seems peaceful and relaxing, a place where no one really bothers you. But I might want to have a little Baggins in my blood and go off adventuring at one point. But the coziness of The Shire sounds very appealing.
Alyssarhammond
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Alyssarhammond »

This for me was very easy! The first place that came to my mind was Narnia from Chronicle of Narnia series. As a child, talking to animals seems to be the coolest thing ever, so to be in a land like that would be AMAZING!!!
efufoo
Currently Reading: The lord of the rings collection
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by efufoo »

Kelewan from the riftwar series by Raymond Feist.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Of course, living in the Shire, you'd have to have fuzzy feet, eh? ha ha
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

moderntimes wrote:Of course, living in the Shire, you'd have to have fuzzy feet, eh? ha ha
I hadn't thought of that. I actually hate wearing socks and shoes though, so that is just one more reason I belong in the Shire! :D
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I love the settings of fictional books where it is kind of medieval, where people still fight with bow and arrows and sword. Somewhere magic exists also. The first place that comes to mind is Alagaesia from Eragon by Christopher Paolini. I am obsessed with dragons, so a world where they are real and able to speak is a world for me!
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
cindyc42
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3066">The Secret Garden</a>
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by cindyc42 »

Wonderland. I wonder what a caterpillar would say if it could talk.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”