What's your favorite book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
dukeloath
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dukeloath »

My favourite to date is easily The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. However, I read Clockwork Orange and The Great Gatsby when I was at school (13 years ago) and they have stuck with me, even though I was not a great fan of reading at the time, so I am going to give them a read again and may re-evaluate. Watch this space...
knightss

Post by knightss »

i'm gonna recommend this again like i did in another thread. if you like wilde read the happy prince, a little short story but really good. check it out if you havn't already =)
dukeloath

Post by dukeloath »

Cheers, will do
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

My favorite book is Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. What an amazing epic telling of the American Wild West. It is such a rich story with tremendously realistic characters that are larger than life. I was positively enthralled by the adventure. Wonderfully written and has been a book that has stayed with me low these many years.

In case you are not familiar with the story (SPOILER): The general gist is that two ex-Texas Rangers lead a perilous cattle drive from Texas to Montana. Highly recommend. Don't be intimidated by the size of the book, by the time it ends you will have wished it didn't.
Natasha_au

Post by Natasha_au »

I've read a lot but a book I keep rereading is "Where The Heart Is" by Billie Letts. I've read it that many times.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Natasha_au wrote:I've read a lot but a book I keep rereading is "Where The Heart Is" by Billie Letts. I've read it that many times.
Ooh! Ooh! Natasha I LOVE that book!
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Dori

Post by Dori »

My favorite book is The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo. Either that or Les Miserables. Both are phenomenal.
"Fine words will butter no parsnips."
leslie.aponte

Post by leslie.aponte »

My favorite book is always the last one I read. Until I read a new one. Then it changes.
shokosugi

Post by shokosugi »

Barbarians at the Gate
The Kid Stays in the Picture
The Godfather
fishinggirl

Post by fishinggirl »

My favorite so far is Gone with the Wind but the "to read" pile is so big right now so who knows...... 8)
Susanna-Cole

Post by Susanna-Cole »

Feeling For Bones - Bethany Pierce
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

Sorry I realize that's 4, not 1, but as an avid reader, it's hard to pick. :wink:
xhytah

Post by xhytah »

On the Road - Jack Kerouac
alex-k

Post by alex-k »

This is near impossible to do! it's taking some serious thought...
Id have to say im definatly a huge fan of the classics such as Pride and Prejudice-Jane Austen, Hard Times-Charles Dickens and even Little Women. I say these because no matter how many times ive read them i always want to read them again and again, they just have a way of drawing you in.
However i do enjoy the occasional fantasy book such as American Gods by Neil Gaiman or even the Harry Potter books.
But im constantly reading so i could come across a new favourite any day :)
magichater

Post by magichater »

One of my classic books that I always seem to read over again is by Dean Koonz Strange Highways!
shokosugi

Post by shokosugi »

Nemesis is also one of my favorite books.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”