What's your favorite book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
dcypher84
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What's your favorite book?

Post by dcypher84 »

Like most people in this forum, it would be nearly impossible to name a single book as my favorite. For the sake of keeping things simple though, here are three that jump out at me:

A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving
I can't really define why this book struck a chord with me. It has very strong religious overtones but I am not by any means a religious man.

Kingdoms of the Wall by Robert Silverberg
I had never been a fan of sci-fi or fantasy novels, that is until I read Silverberg. You can tell he was heavily influenced by Isaac Asimov, but I feel he took the genre to new realms. This particular novel was utterly breathtaking. The imagery is flawless. The plot unfolds with impeccable timing. I felt the whole story was symbolic of the transformative nature of man.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safron Foer
Having been a fan of his previous novel I was excited to check this one out. I had recently started a new relationship and she was a big fan of this book. I suppose the reason that this one resonated so much in me is largely due to the parallels in her life. It was an emotional read for me because it was for her. Aside from that, it was very well written and well paced with an anti-climactic ending, which in this case fit the bill to a tee.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

dcypher84 wrote:Like most people in this forum, it would be nearly impossible to name a single book as my favorite. For the sake of keeping things simple though, here are three that jump out at me:

A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving
I can't really define why this book struck a chord with me. It has very strong religious overtones but I am not by any means a religious man.

Kingdoms of the Wall by Robert Silverberg
I had never been a fan of sci-fi or fantasy novels, that is until I read Silverberg. You can tell he was heavily influenced by Isaac Asimov, but I feel he took the genre to new realms. This particular novel was utterly breathtaking. The imagery is flawless. The plot unfolds with impeccable timing. I felt the whole story was symbolic of the transformative nature of man.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safron Foer
Having been a fan of his previous novel I was excited to check this one out. I had recently started a new relationship and she was a big fan of this book. I suppose the reason that this one resonated so much in me is largely due to the parallels in her life. It was an emotional read for me because it was for her. Aside from that, it was very well written and well paced with an anti-climactic ending, which in this case fit the bill to a tee.
Your choice of A Prayer for Owen Meany is an interesting one. It was the first Irving book I ever read, and I have read many since, and I have not read an Irving book I didn't enjoy. Owen Meany is a hard book to define, but it resonates nevertheless. Of all the Irving books I have read, by a narrow margin, my favourite is The Cider House Rules.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
abartley81

Post by abartley81 »

Not sure I can choose one- "White Oleander " by Janet Fitch was amazing, anGreen d I loved the whole Hunger Games Trilogy. "The Green Mile " by Stephen King was on my mind for days on end!
alysonelliot

Post by alysonelliot »

My favourite book in claasics are many. For starters Pride and Prejudice, The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Great Gatsby, etc
fedorasandpianos

Post by fedorasandpianos »

Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Lerox

The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer

Children of the Fog by Cheryl Kaye
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Id have to class Phantom of the Opera as one of my favorites, too. I read it in about 1967 and couldnt put it down until I finished it. Great book.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Danielle_63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle-63.html

Post by Danielle_63 »

Unquestionably, Dante's Inferno. I have read this book so many times and always find something new. I love the complexity and all the different characters. It is a story within a story. I fell in love with the character Virgil, who is a poet born before the time of Christ and is therefore relegated to hell for not being a Christian.
I find this book to be deep and complex on many levels. The author was said to be making a political statement about the times in which he was living but I think it was divine intervention that a work this great was written. After the bible, I think this is perhaps one of the best written works in existence.
dcypher84

Post by dcypher84 »

I responded to this thread a few days ago, but I just finished a novel which now must be included.The Illicit Happiness of Other People by Manu Joseph. This is one of, if not the most powerful novel I've ever read. No one in any medium has ever so successfully described the human condition. It was deep and philosophical without being pompous. It was humorous, but in a very dark way. By the end, I was weeping, but the tears were not borne out of a sense of sadness or despair, nor would I consider them tears of joy. I was simply moved by it's beauty. I wouldn't know whether to classify this book as black humor, mystery, or any other classification because it falls under all classification and none simultaneously. Easily the most thought provoking, original, and moving piece of literature I have read in a long while.
Swamy4mind
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swamy4mind.html

Post by Swamy4mind »

Alchemist by paulo coehlo was my favourite book ! such an interesting story and highly motivating .
Lou_La32

Post by Lou_La32 »

Alice Walker's The Color Purple will always be a favorite. To read about a woman's heartwrenching struggles and her empowerment later in life through her will to grow is incredibly inspirational. It is something I can return to throughout my own life and journey.
rachel5
Favorite Author: C.S Lewis
Favorite Book: Narnia and Redwall
Currently Reading: Aesop

Post by rachel5 »

I'm adding The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien as one of my favorites. I'm on the second book. The Two Towers, and am really enjoying everything in it so far. I loved the first book (The Fellowship of the Ring). I love the hobbits, Pippin is my fave out of the four.
A book is a movie that plays in your mind while you read the words in it
telnora
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-telnora.html

Post by telnora »

Typically my favorite book is whatever one I am currently reading. I do not tend to reread books I have already read.
Lex

Post by Lex »

Hi I'm new but thought I'd jump straight into this one and say either 'Wuthering Heights' or 'The Great Gatsby' - both very emotional and thrilling with extremely interesting authors!
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

rachel5 wrote:I'm adding The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien as one of my favorites. I'm on the second book. The Two Towers, and am really enjoying everything in it so far. I loved the first book (The Fellowship of the Ring). I love the hobbits, Pippin is my fave out of the four.
If I have to pick just one, this is my absolute favourite of all time. :D

-- 29 Mar 2013, 21:18 --
Lex wrote:Hi I'm new but thought I'd jump straight into this one and say either 'Wuthering Heights' or 'The Great Gatsby' - both very emotional and thrilling with extremely interesting authors!
They are two pretty good choices, Lex, especially Gatsby.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
rachel5
Favorite Author: C.S Lewis
Favorite Book: Narnia and Redwall
Currently Reading: Aesop

Post by rachel5 »

Well, actually first Sam and then Pippin.
A book is a movie that plays in your mind while you read the words in it

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”