What's your favorite book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
hyukawa
Bookshelf Size: 0

hard to say

Post by hyukawa »

one of them would be "immortality machine" by Paul Kieniewicz
it's not well known, and not especially well written, but it's a great pleasure to read for the interesting setting, characters, ideas that propagate the story. if you're curious, it's about the consequences of living forever.
iamboredr

Post by iamboredr »

I like best in windmills of the gods

Post by woody »

Do not really have a favorite book but rather have favorite authors like Dean Koonts, Asimov etc
hollybear8907

Post by hollybear8907 »

I have a lot of favorites but I have to say that my all time fave is Fire Bringer by David Clement-Davis! It was amazing! haha
stretch

Post by stretch »

Illustrated Man, and The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. They are haunting and soothing at the same time.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet
Gates of Fire - Steven Pressfield
The Lord of the Rings - J R Tolkien
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susana Clarke
The Illiad - Homer
The book thief - Markus Zusaklleen
The whole Rome series by Colleen McCullough
To kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Man, I could go on forever there are just too many good books. :lol:
david17589

Post by david17589 »

my top of the top book is "To Kill A Mocking Bird" it is GRRREAT!!!!! 8)
Mer_Blackwood

Post by Mer_Blackwood »

My all-time favorite is The Lord of the Rings, but I've pretty much read it to death. More recently I probably most enjoyed Garth Nix's Sabriel.
SandyLG

Post by SandyLG »

Dennis Lehane's Shutter Island, all the cop murder stories that began with Gone, Baby Gone.....Just finished his book "A Given Day" which was slow at first, great in the middle, didn't like the end much but it makes sense with the story.

Enjoyed "Den of Thieves" about the Millikin Boesky Junk Bond mess....really great read if you're into that which I am.

I've read all the classics - Wuthering Heights, etc.... Some other poster recommended "The Illustrated Man" which I read years ago and have always liked....recently suggested to another friend/avid reader and she had not read it yet.

Patterson's detective series with Alex Cross loved those. Deaver's "lincoln ryhme" series is good too.

Clancy novels - all the Jack Ryan novels and my son turned me on to his Splinter Cell works.[/u]
sjankis630

Post by sjankis630 »

Blue Highways - William Least Heat Moon - this has been a favorite ever since an English prof recommended it to me. A man travels the back roads all over America and tells the tale. I re-read this about every two - three years.

Water Music - T C Boyle. - historical fiction of Mungo Park's decent to find the source of the Niger. Boyles first novel and my favorite from him.
davidverney

Post by davidverney »

I love On The Road by Jack Kerouac. This is for a few reasons. I can relate to his way of thinking because I'm a young man myself who thinks pretty much like Jack did in that era. Secondly, it represents freedom and living the American Dream. I love those things.

Have a great read

David
The Mythwriter

Post by The Mythwriter »

I must post my top five... if I were forced to name #1, that's "The Lord of the Rings" by good old Tolkien. Yes I am a nerd, I know.

1. The Lord of the Rings - Tolkien.
2. Dracula - Stoker.
3. A Tale of Two Cities - Dickens.
4. The Chronicles of Narnia - Lewis.
5. Adam - Dekker.
agm1992

Post by agm1992 »

I like the goryness of darren shan. although his work is looked down at by classics readers.
Darren shans vivid imagination and detail is really quite something.
my favourite book by him is the vampires assistant.
2nd book in the saga of darren shan.
damien

Post by damien »

i love joseph heller's catch 22. just reread it again last weekend. the book never fails to amuse me. i am not a nerd... i am not a nerd ... i am not a nerd......:)
09booklover

Post by 09booklover »

One book? Such a hard question! And there are so many genres, I have favorites in all of them.

Still, right this second I'd have to say THE HELP is my favorite. Followed by The Prince of Tides and Gone with the Wind.

I love Southern lit in all its craziness.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”