Do you like to read books with cliffhangers?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
LoisRyan
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loisryan.html

Re: Do you like to read books with cliffhangers?

Post by LoisRyan »

I am fine with that. However, by the time I get to the last book in the series-after waiting for the next book to come out-I have to reread the series. Two such series are Harry Potter and The left Behind Series which I am currently of The Remnant
MichellemyBelle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michellemybelle.html

Post by MichellemyBelle »

I do not like cliffhangers when they are not relevant. Give me a cliffhanger that takes my hero or heroine on a journey not even the writer expected!

-- 08 Jul 2014, 21:20 --

I read in many reviews how many are generally disappointed in cliffhangers. IF a series is captivating enough I am actually quite happy there is a cliffhanger. WHO wants a good book to ever end?
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

It's not my favorite. If it was a book that I enjoyed immensely and the end left off with a cliff hanger it just makes me more excited for the next story. Now if it was a story that left off with a cliff hanger and there was no other story, it was a 'let the reader's imagination run with it' type story, I'm not a fan of that.
sherlock_holmes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherlock-holmes.html

Post by sherlock_holmes »

It depends on what view one takes on this subject: are you the author or the reader? If you're the reader, a cliffhanger is terrible...but if you're the author, it takes on a different perspective. You wrote this book, and you contemplate (and most of the time know) what's going to come next. Is that not a cliffhanger, though? Can it only be a cliffhanger if you are reading it? Other people are reading your book and calling it a cliffhanger, but it's not so for you-- so what is that?
I'd say it counted, but then I write from time to time...
robind13
Currently Reading: The Lullaby Sky
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robind13.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by robind13 »

A few but it's not my favorite
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Kershhie
Favorite Author: Alexandra Bracken
Favorite Book: The darkest Minds
Currently Reading: In the Afterlight and King Hall
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kershhie.html
fav_author_id: 763

Post by Kershhie »

It depends on whether I can go straight to the next book (if there is a sequel) or whether it's a stand-a-lone book.
Also I hate having to wait months on end after a rather fantastic cliffhanger to read the next book.
Half the time it makes new want to cry but if Its a stand-a-lone then I have mixed feelings.
A love-hate relationship emerges from me and cliffhangers but I can't say I would never want to read a book with a cliffhanger because they make them all the more exciting! :D
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

I like cliffhangers.They are exciting and give me something to look forward to(and buy the next book in that series).Go cliffhangers!
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
jjones3841
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjones3841.html

Post by jjones3841 »

If I'm reading a series, I need to wait until the whole series is done or I go crazy waiting after a cliffhanger. If it is a standalone book with a cliffhanger, and there is no closure, it is pure torture. Just plain mean, in my opinion.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I love it! It's the best ending in the world! Even if a whole series ends on a cliffhanger, I don't mind at all.
I love the feeling of guessing about what happens next. That's kind of my favorite part of reading.
Noeld
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noeld.html

Post by Noeld »

I like to read books with cliffhangers, but only if they do continue eventually and I have the rest of the series at my disposal. Otherwise, I will wait until all of the books are out. I'm a really bad sport when it comes to waiting for another book. I can't take not knowing what will happen if I really like a book.
Alexavier-Taiga
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
Currently Reading: reading five books and they wont fit
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexavier-taiga.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Alexavier-Taiga »

I do! I love cliff hangers! But ONLY if the book is part of a series and I know I will eventually find out the results sooner or later. Otherwise I get really frustrated
So many books to read, so little time..
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

I got into the Harry Potter books around book 3, that was brutal enough... But, like a good TV show or movie series (usually based on books anyway), it's just too hard to resist getting hooked when they first release instead of waiting until the end. Also, especially with the more popular stuff, it's incredibly difficult to avoid spoilers...
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

I kind of like books with cliffhangers, except when I can't get the next in the series. Then I get really frustrated.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

My taste in books is a lot like my taste in food. For instance, I like a good cliffhanger and I like tacos, but I wouldn't want to eat tacos every day.

I just mention in passing: The best cliffhanger I ever read - one which I recommend often - is Fail-Safe, by Eugene Burdick and Harvey Wheeler. This was recommended for summer reading by an English teacher when I was in high school. It was one of the best reading experiences of my life. It wasn't just the story, but how it was written ... very cold and eerie.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I absolutely love , love cliff hangers! It makes me furious when it happens. But this just lets me know how great the book is. Whenever I am left wanting more, I know that the book is awesome. I will patiently wait until the next book comes out (whilst biting my nails of course! ). I am one of those people who gets super excited when something new gets released. So when the other books comes out, I am usually first in line. It is simply the best feeling in the world.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”