Do you like to read books with cliffhangers?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Readingislife
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingislife.html

Do you like to read books with cliffhangers?

Post by Readingislife »

I've read a few though i can't say its my favorite thing in the world, i don't like waiting so long just to see what happens. After catching fire i had to wait two months for mockingjay and it was torture!
[nette]
Currently Reading: Splintered Trilogy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nette.html

Post by [nette] »

I agree. I don't like it at all. I guess as long as I know there will be another book coming along, then of course it is hard to wait, but at least you will get some closure..

I started reading the "Splintered" series by A.G. Howard, and I finished the second book. The third one doesn't come out until 2015, so I have to endure the cliffhanger phobia. But I am super excited for it to come out.
Titanoboa92
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-titanoboa92.html
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim

Post by Titanoboa92 »

With series, it's nice to wait until they're all released to read them so you don't have to wait for the next one. If you do that though, with popular series at least, people who read them as they come out will sometimes ruin plot points.
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

In general, I don't like to read them because if the next book in the series is not out yet, I get really impatient and it is torture to wait. But what I really don't like is when I read a book that has a cliffhanger without me knowing about it. I have come across a few books that were marketed as standalones only to find that there is a cliffhanger at the end. I find that really frustrating.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Lin2412

Post by Lin2412 »

Well, how would we really know if they are cliffhangers until we get to the end? Unless it's a book series then we'd probably get hints about it. But in general, cliffhangers aren't so bad. :)
parrazgloria
Favorite Author: Rick Roiden
Favorite Book: Heros of Olympus Series
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parrazgloria.html

Post by parrazgloria »

Yes I like books with cliffhangers. Sometimes they happen unexpected at the end and I am just sitting there with a "why?" face. It happened in the Mark of Athena and let me tell you it was a major cliffhanger. I was not please but it leaves a wanting for the next book. A anticipation for the next installment. When The House of Hades came out I was relived and got it within the first 24 hours of it's release because I needed to read it. I like cliffhangers that are planned well and do not just leave you hanging.

I did not like If I Stay cliffhanger when I read the book. It was a horrible cliffhanger and thought the author should have written a bit more to it but I enjoyed the book. It did make me want to continue to the next book but I did not. I was not as excited for it as other books with more planned out cliffhangers.
chibi_kitsune
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chibi-kitsune.html
Latest Review: "The Ghoul Archipelago" by Stephen Kozeniewski

Post by chibi_kitsune »

If it's done well and another book is following the cliff hanger, then I can at least appreciate creating interest. However, I'm not the biggest fan especially if I have to wait long for the next book or if that's basically the end of the book/series.
Latest Review: "The Ghoul Archipelago" by Stephen Kozeniewski
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I don't like it either, especially if I have to wait long for the next book in the series.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
TerLab

Post by TerLab »

Yes, even though it can be very difficult to wait for the next book. I always have books on standby and my strategy is to jump right into another book and then later make a note to look out for the next book in the series in the future so I do not forget. I do not deny myself any book that is good even if it has a cliffhanger with a continuation. Enjoy and move on.
ttuso22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttuso22.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by ttuso22 »

Only if it is in a series and I can read the book right after. Otherwise I get frustrated like I do when a season of my favorite TV show ends with a cliffhanger!
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison
senny_bebii
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-senny-bebii.html

Post by senny_bebii »

Of course. :lol: Cliffhangers are one of the things that actually make me want to get through the whole book or series. :D
flamingo152
Currently Reading: Elegy
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flamingo152.html
Latest Review: "“Solution to Arthritis" by Anita Bose

Post by flamingo152 »

It depends on the book. If I am reading a book that is in a series of other books than I do not mind if it ends with a cliffhanger because I assume that all lose ends will be tied up in later books. However, if I am reading a book that is meant to stand alone, I definitely do not appreciate cliffhangers. I am a person who likes all problems to be completely resolved by the end of the story. If this does not happen, I feel like a part of the story is missing.
Latest Review: "“Solution to Arthritis" by Anita Bose
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

I only like reading books with cliffhangers if I have the book that immediately follows it with me. Otherwise it is an agonizingly long wait which I am never prepared to endure
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
book_girl86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-girl86.html

Post by book_girl86 »

If the story and characters are great then yes, but if not, I will not bother to read the next book.
Whitshat1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitshat1.html

Post by Whitshat1 »

Only when I know the next book is ready and waiting. I dislike having to wait till it becomes available.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”