Does reading make you go blind

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Re: Does reading make you go blind

Post by ALynnPowers »

Looking at the sun can make you go blind... that's pretty much the same thing, right?
So, yes.
Sree Chinta
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sree-chinta.html

Post by Sree Chinta »

Impairment of eyesight is accredited to "lazy eyes". In other words, the muscles of an individual's eyes must be active and move often in order to prevent eyesight from worsening. The use of computers is worse for your eyesight than reading a book in print, especially if the computer's brightness is high. Either way, you should take breaks every hour or so and move your eyes in a circular pattern or stop if your eyes feel extremely strained.
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

I doubt it will make you go blind but it does create eye strain. I have a hard time reading off the computer at night time after spending the day using one. Sometimes I have to dig out my oldest pair of glasses just to read. First thing in the morning I don't need to use my glasses for several hours. Right now my eyes are tired and dry from reading all day.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

No, it was a lie promulgated by Puritans .... (don't mind me, I'm having a caffeine rush).

I agree with those who cite eye strain but I don't think it can make you go blind. Good question for an optometrist though. I doubt a doctor would say you'd go blind but might have some interesting things to say regarding the subject.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
laurenepps1
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle
Currently Reading: City of Heavenly Fire
Bookshelf Size: 265
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenepps1.html
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by laurenepps1 »

I don't think it does but it does tire out your eyes. I wear glasses just because my eyesight has always been terrible. I stare at the computer for hours a day and it's made it worse. When I'm reading my eyes just get tired and everything looks kind of jumbled for a little.
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

It has been scientifically proved this is BS.
The worst thing reading could make to your eyes is to make them run dry from staring at something for too long without blinking.
That said, I don't think this should be a discussion at all.

Here's the scientific proof.
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... your-eyes/
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

It depends on the way you read. When I was in 3rd grade, I would shove the book in my face. I had to get glasses because of that. I hate wearing my contacts while reading so I take them off. It's all blurry so I end up having to shove the book in my face again. It will ruin your eyesight if you read it like I do. SAVE YOURSELF!
I am a free spirit
like mafia

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”