Have you ever started a book, and finished it years later?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
hnm216
Bookshelf Size: 3

Re: Have you ever started a book, and finished it years late

Post by hnm216 »

Once. I started a book last year, then went through some personal issues, and ended up with too much going on to even concentrate on anything. I did however recently finished it and read the rest of the series.
Cole_K33
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cole-k33.html

Post by Cole_K33 »

I usually start a book, and cannot put it down. But about a year ago, I started reading Mockingjay, but I could never finish it. So I need to start reading it again from the beginning so I can really get into it and finish it.
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

I started reading "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell"," and then I stopped reading it. I don't even remember why, I think it just became a little tedious. On a whim I picked it up a year later. When I started reading it again, I could not put it down! It's a 784 page book so maybe I just needed a break.
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
angelbeats1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbeats1.html
Latest Review: Iran Before . . . by Dennis Briskin

Post by angelbeats1 »

I have to finish a book when I start reading. That is at the same time, horrible and a blessing. If the book is for school, then I am glad I was able to get through it fast. On the other hand, if the book is like gone with the wind. It is a very slow terrifying read.
mtnhicks
Favorite Author: Stieg Larsson
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5837">City of Thieves</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2626
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtnhicks.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2552

Post by mtnhicks »

Drood by Dan Simmons. I loved it, but it was so heavy and followed Dickens' writing so well in imagery and language of the period. I was also working 2 jobs at the time, in addition to being a full time mother. I did finally read it, but it followed me to soccer games, basketball games and ballet! One day I showed up without it and with a different book--all the parents were asking questions. They were almost as happy as I was I finally finished Drood. I moved on to lighter reading, Uncle Tom's Cabin....
StarLight365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starlight365.html

Post by StarLight365 »

Yes. there are several books which I have started earler and finished much later. I do not remember the names of all those books, But I clearly remember one book 'Autobiography of a Yogi' by Paramahamsa Yogananda, which I had started reading in 1887, bit ended in 2008.
mtnhicks
Favorite Author: Stieg Larsson
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5837">City of Thieves</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2626
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtnhicks.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2552

Post by mtnhicks »

Wow, 121 years of reading StarLight365.... How old were you when you began reading?
lucy_borland
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-borland.html

Post by lucy_borland »

If I start a book, I have to finish. There is no turning back after page one.
icerose92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-icerose92.html

Post by icerose92 »

I think I took about a year to read the 5th Harry Potter book, but that was because I had to read a lot for my English class that year. And I recently took several months to read one book, but that was because I just didn't like it, but it was from a favorite series, so I felt compelled to finish it, no matter how terrible it was.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I made it halfway through The Thorn Birds and bailed because it was a tad bit too difficult for me. I was maybe 15. I tried again and made it through all the way at around 18 or 19. It's my favorite book!

Same with Jane Eyre, my second favorite book. I tried it at 14 but it was just too hard, I think from a reading comprehension angle. I just couldn't grasp the images in the opening chapters. Then I succeeded in reading it as a late teen.

When I hear of people who read classics with ease at a young age, I get a bit jealous. However, I went on to teach reading comprehension for over three years. That may have helped a little, since I was trained in it before I taught it! (You'd really think they'd teach that in school.)
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
fav_author_id: 3314

Post by Janiac02 »

I've done that. Sometimes I start a book and I just can't get into it for whatever reason. Instead of completely abandoning ship I usually put it aside for a while-occasionally that means years. War and Peace will probably be like that. I've had several false starts so far.
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Yes, sometimes there are really good books that you have to be in the right mood to read.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
kateuan
Favorite Author: Marguerite Yourcenar
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by kateuan »

Yes, "Inferno" David Brown

-- 26 Apr 2015, 06:05 --
kateuan wrote:Yes, "Inferno" Dan
Brown
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

I am also guilty of putting a book down and starting it later. Often I do it when I realize that the book I am reading is better used later in the year. For example when I am reading some of my nonfiction books that have to do with teaching. If a book is one that I might want to use in the fall for the beginning of the school year I will put it off until August so that the material is more fresh in my mind.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Hendmosaad89
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hendmosaad89.html
Latest Review: "From Nathan to Nanako" by T.F. Wright

Post by Hendmosaad89 »

No I don't think I did that with any book. I'm the type of reader that when I start a book I must finish it or if I hate it I return it. I dont consider dropping the book for awhile and then read it again.
Latest Review: "From Nathan to Nanako" by T.F. Wright

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”