Is it wrong to have two (or more) copies of the same book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Re: Is it wrong to have two (or more) copies of the same boo

Post by Reading lady »

PashaRu wrote:Well, there's no law against it, and you're free to spend your money on whatever you want. Is this a moral question?
I agree. Your money do with as you want. I don't see the point of this question, and I have to admit, as much as I love books, I can't see the point of multiple copies of the same book. Use your money to buy something you haven't yet read. Unless you have a bottomless bank account.
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by allesha »

I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as you have the room and money for them. I would like to get a copy of a book I like and have in French so I can read it in French, while referencing the English version.
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

No I don't see anything wrong with having multiple copies. I'm currently replacing a lot of my print books with ebook versions and donating my paper ones. There are some I will keep in paper copy though.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

I think it's not bad to own several copies, I wouldn't because I'm broke, but I've been given copies of books I already owned and I gave them to friends or charity. I have a friend who keeps duplicates, one for reading (she likes to write in them her thoughts and dog ears them) and one for display. I heard someone say once to always keep three copies, one for reading, one for display, and one for renting to friends.
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
SuduNona
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sudunona.html

Post by SuduNona »

If I really appreciate a book and want to share it, I get an extra copy - but usually I shop around the charity shops and keep my eye open to find one rather than buy another brand new one at full price, so it doesn't feel so self indulgent. Though why we all feel tortured and guilty about having more than one copy I don't know! Any ideas?
AmandaLMcCormick
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandalmccormick.html

Post by AmandaLMcCormick »

I've certainly done this before. I've had 'to read' and 'to keep pristine' copies. I've also had copies that have different colors. We are collectors. We can certainly have a collection xD
latest

Post by latest »

I have some several of books no copies , I like this book?
booklovingolfer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovingolfer.html

Post by booklovingolfer »

I don't understand the point of owning two copies of the same book. Give the second copy to your local library or homeless shelter.
animalgirl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-animalgirl.html

Post by animalgirl »

Why would it be wrong? As long as you didn't steal them. I have three or four copies of some books that I have written, one to sort of proof read and the others in case I might want to give them away to friends or sell them myself.

I wouldn't have two copies of the same book from another author unless the one I had was in bad condition or I lost it. I also have kindle copies and paper back copies.

I don't think it's wrong to have more than one copy of a book. It's up to the individual. If he wants to spend his/her money on another copy, that's his prerogative. It may seem a little odd to have more than one extra copy but it certainly isn't wrong unless he robbed a book store or mugged someone over the head and stole it from under his arms.
kautetastic

Post by kautetastic »

Not at all! Especially if you have those family members and friends wjo like to come over and borrow your books without asking!
nannyluvscmu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nannyluvscmu.html

Post by nannyluvscmu »

I think I own like eighteen copies of MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING so I don't think it is wrong, haha.
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

Nah. Sometimes I buy books twice simply because I have the hardback and want the paperback, or vice versa. Sometimes I buy books twice because I want the condition to be better. Sometimes I buy books twice or three times just because prettier covers keep coming out XD I usually end up giving the copy I don't want to someone who does want it, or to my library, so I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

I do not think there is anything wrong with having several copies of a book. In my case, I would buy the extra copy so that I can have at least one that is in mint condition, while the other I can wear out. Also I would buy them if there are any limited edition copies or the types of books that have a whole series in one installment.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
Apogea
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apogea.html

Post by Apogea »

There is nothing wrong with having multiple copies of one book, well I guess if you truly don't have the money for the book, then you most likely shouldn't be getting another copy of it!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

The answer is YES.

Haha, just kidding. Do whatever you want. I actually don't see a reason, personally, to need more than one copy of a book, but if you have a thing for books in perfect condition (I don't; I actually read only kindle books these days), then who is going to stop you from owning more than one? I can't imagine some book police will come in and snatch them all up.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”