Do you dogear pages as a book marker?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jessica_a_m
Favorite Author: Jane Austen maybe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you dogear pages as a book marker?

Post by jessica_a_m »

Nooo! I have never done it, if I didn't have a bookmark, or any other piece of paper, I would try to remember the page. I hate it when people do it. I don't like writing in them either, though I had to when I was at university. If I have to, I always use a pencil. It pierced my heart when I had to watch other students writing with different color pens in their copies T.T
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

I hate to see books with dog-eared pages, although I've had several library books in that state. It always annoys me that people can defile books in that way, especially when they're not even their own.
jgreen11
Currently Reading: Deception Point
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgreen11.html
Latest Review: "Within the stars" by Rachela marie lavita

Post by jgreen11 »

Library books?! I can't believe people would hurt books that aren't even theirs. If you buy the book, I can see how dog-earing the pages might be useful, but I don't think you should intentionally harm materials that aren't yours!
Latest Review: "Within the stars" by Rachela marie lavita
317police

Post by 317police »

It depends what type of book and the type of paper. Yes I am a bit OCD. I try to use book marks on those books that I want to keep for a very long time. Most of my books, however, are highlighted have notes in the blank spaces, and are used for me to learn. For those books, I do not really care about useing a ook marker.

Josh
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I only dogear when I am reading for research and I don't have any Post-Its handy. I don't really like this habit because I hate the way it looks, and I've noticed that many books don't close flat if they have a bunch of dogeared pages. I didn't know that dogearing was actually bad for the book, though.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

I can't stand the thought of dog-earing pages. I'm a stickler about keeps my books clean of any marks, I like to have my books in as pristine condition as possible. And I'm so unreliable with book marks. I either lose them, forget to use them, or absentmindedly put them in the wrong part of the book without noticing. I mostly just make a mental note of the page number and how far I seem to be in the book. If I don't remember the exact number I can at least get close enough to wear I can leaf through the pages and find my way back to where I left off!
MysteryReader95
Currently Reading: Armed and Fabulous by Camilla Chafer
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mysteryreader95.html

Post by MysteryReader95 »

No, I just remember where I am at in the book.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

No, I either just remember where I am or I stick a bookmark or small scrap of paper in the book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
AQMccord3

Post by AQMccord3 »

I did for a little while. My reason being: I have 2 kids, one with adhd and absolutely loves books. And he always used to take my bookmarks or fool around and put them at the wrong spot. And my 2 year old loves to do the same. But then I discovered to keep them up high lol And my Nana used to do that to her books all the time. So when she passed, it was more of a comfort for me and for some silly reason, it made me feel like she was reading it too. But then my son made me some of his own bookmarks, and they are perfection. So no more creased books and more long lasting perfection.
bradybunch84
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: The Secret Garden
Currently Reading: TheHaunted Hour edited by Manson
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by bradybunch84 »

HEAVENS NOOOOO!
aishamary94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aishamary94.html

Post by aishamary94 »

I can't dogear books, because it would literally kill me. I get freaked out when a book even as a crinkle in it. So dog earing it, OH NO!
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

Never. It was strictly forbidden growing up. Besides, bookmarks can be so much fun. As a teenager I was a huge fan of Garfield and collected his bookmarks at every opportunity. Later the tassels became an endless source of fun for my own cats.
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
fav_author_id: 3314

Post by Janiac02 »

I usually grab whatever scrap is close at hand to use as a book marker. In the middle of a rehearsal I will dog ear page of music that needs my attention at a later time, but even that makes me cringe.
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
aspen_janine
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-janine.html

Post by aspen_janine »

I used to, especially Dan Brown books. I once do geared the bottom pages to mark something that I wanted to research (which turned out to be a lot), and the top pages to keep where I was. I then sent the book to my nan, who then posted me back without saying a word home made bookmarks! I haven't since.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I did as a teenager. However, I would never dream of it now! I have homemade book markers and I have also purchased numerous book markers so this will never happen.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”