How old were you when you found your love for books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Lin2412
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: How old were you when you found your love for books?

Post by Lin2412 »

I believe I started to appreciate fiction by the time I was 14 or 15. Although I've been reading since I was little, my puberty was really the peak time of forming my interests.
JVa1encia
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jva1encia.html

Post by JVa1encia »

I was six years old going on seven. My brother was only two at the time so I was basically an only child and I entertained myself between dolls and reading.
Judesg68

Post by Judesg68 »

When I was seven we had a shelf of books in our classroom, and when I found out you could check them out for free I felt like I had won the lottery.
landivc1
Favorite Author: Melissa Marr
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-landivc1.html
fav_author_id: 2393

Post by landivc1 »

I was about 1-2 years old. My mom used to read tons of books to me and take me to the library every second week where I could choose ten books. I could literally not wait to start school and to learn how to read. After that she still took me to the library where I still chose my own books but it was a real treat to discover the difference of falling and getting lost in a book when reading it yourself.
athenarightnow

Post by athenarightnow »

I was 16 years old when I found my love for books.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

It is good that so many were exposed to books at such young ages as it is a good thing to have the love of books with you throughput the majority of your life!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Brenda1721

Post by Brenda1721 »

I was about 10. At my school the reading teacher would always give us book reports, and all I did was read the back of the book and make up the rest of the stories plot from there. I remember he was Mr. Herbeck and like all teacher found out what I was doing because my book reports would be 6-10 pages long...I tried so hard..hahhahaha, but he took me aside and asked me if I wanted to repeat 5th grade because I wasn't reading my books for the book reports...I told him no, and he told me that I had to finsih Shiloh, write a book report about that book and turn it into me so he wouldn't fail me so that's exactly what I did, since I had such a short amount of time, I couldn't read all the book, I read one skipped two and so one, but at least I finished it and with that passing my class. But after that scare, I started to read other books and from then on, I just fell in love because with all the problems that I carry this is an escape for me.
Sweet_Lullaby
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-lullaby.html
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy

Post by Sweet_Lullaby »

about 9 or ten, I got a story book for Christmas and I was hooked!
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy
mishie_07

Post by mishie_07 »

Literally old! Like 25! Well thats just because i havent considered buying a novel thinking that its a waste of time and money! But when i met my wife who loves sorting through booksales, and all the free ebooks that i can read online, i pretty much enjoy reading, specially those with movie adaptation..
RenaissanceWoman
Favorite Author: Variable
Favorite Book: Changes Often
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renaissancewoman.html

Post by RenaissanceWoman »

I must have been around five or six when I started serious reading. I remember going to the library down the street and getting four or five books at a time; Dr. Seuss at first, then Trixie Belden, then Nancy Drew. I went through a phase of Science Fiction (Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet, Topaz) at one point. The most poignant moment of my childhood reading experience, though, was getting my adult library card and getting to browse 'upstairs'. It was too intimidating for the first few months and I retreated to the little desks in the basement until Christmas, but I eventually succumbed to temptation. Then there was no turning back!
robind13
Currently Reading: The Lullaby Sky
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robind13.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by robind13 »

I'm 21 and I just found it, I think it's because I was always forced to read books I didn't enjoy for school and now I can read the books I want in my own time
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
dixiewitch1989
Favorite Author: too many
Favorite Book: prefers fantasy
Currently Reading: tedd dekkers the lost books series
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dixiewitch1989.html

Post by dixiewitch1989 »

At about 8 I was reading "above my age" and by the time I was 13 I was embracing full size novels.
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

When I was two or three I taught myself to read, and at four I found Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. It was the first book I ever read since to read I had read sentences off of worksheets, and I've been under the spell of books ever since.

-- 09 Nov 2014, 20:41 --
robind13 wrote:I'm 21 and I just found it, I think it's because I was always forced to read books I didn't enjoy for school and now I can read the books I want in my own time
Good for you! I always hate when people get put off from reading because of boring stuff in school, so it's great to hear that you've been able to read what you want and actually love books.
teelaelee24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teelaelee24.html

Post by teelaelee24 »

I was 12 or 13, Maniac Magee was my first real novel besides Judy bloom books. I never knew a book could trigger emotions. To me there better than movies. Since then I've haven't been able put a book down until I was finished.
Poly
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poly.html

Post by Poly »

About 4-5 years old I think. Mom had begun reading me fairy tales when I was 3 years old, so it was building for a while, but it peaked when Dad couldn't read me Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone quick enough, so I took matters into my own hands. Been reading ever since!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”