Ever Read a Forbidden Book as a Child?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Re: Ever Read a Forbidden Book as a Child?

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I can't remember my parents ever telling me not to read a book. In fact, my father gave me the book "The Color Purple' to read when I was perhaps 13 and still very immature and living a very sheltered life. He must have heard that it was very good and not read it himself because I'm certain he would never have given it if he had known. (lol)
Lets just say I was a bit traumatized when I read it that time, I don't think I even finished it. when I was a few years older I did attempt it again and could understand it in a much better light.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Alexandra Bayer
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: Vampire Academy Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra-bayer.html
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Alexandra Bayer »

I never really had forbidden books, so not really... although in grade 6, my father didn't want me to read Twilight, but a friend at school had it, so I read the first few chapters.
Think, believe, manifest.
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
anomalocaris
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Post by anomalocaris »

stoppoppingtheP wrote:In fact, my father gave me the book "The Color Purple' to read when I was perhaps 13 and still very immature and living a very sheltered life.
Wow. What was he thinking?? My parents were just the opposite. When I was 17, an uncle and aunt gave me a book for teen girls all about knowing the female body, and what to expect at various ages, and how to diagnose "female" issues to know when something is serious enough to see a doctor. I was thrilled because my parents were so controlling that I had no idea what was happening when I had my first "monthly" -- and now I finally had a way to learn about such things. Only, I set it down and turned my back on it for a few minutes, and that was the last I saw of it. My parents had taken it and disposed of it.
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
mtnhicks
Favorite Author: Stieg Larsson
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5837">City of Thieves</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2626
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtnhicks.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2552

Post by mtnhicks »

I'd have to say my "forbidden" book was In the Night Kitchen by Shel Silverstone... I didn't even notice what made it forbidden until I was older. I also read Are You There God, It's Me Margaret. I didn't see why it was banned. Mom and Daddy always talked about the human body and prepared us for changes. I'm glad they did, I could see myself having a "Carrie moment" if I didn't know....
kasi33
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasi33.html
Latest Review: "Men's Guide To Trouble Women" by Jonathan ago

Post by kasi33 »

I read a lot of books that I probably shouldn't have! My parents were very sheltering, but they didn't monitor what I would read. They were all over me if I watched the wrong Television program or channel, on the other hand!
"Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them." — Neil Gaiman
Latest Review: "Men's Guide To Trouble Women" by Jonathan ago
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

anomalocaris wrote:
stoppoppingtheP wrote:In fact, my father gave me the book "The Color Purple' to read when I was perhaps 13 and still very immature and living a very sheltered life.
Wow. What was he thinking?? My parents were just the opposite. When I was 17, an uncle and aunt gave me a book for teen girls all about knowing the female body, and what to expect at various ages, and how to diagnose "female" issues to know when something is serious enough to see a doctor. I was thrilled because my parents were so controlling that I had no idea what was happening when I had my first "monthly" -- and now I finally had a way to learn about such things. Only, I set it down and turned my back on it for a few minutes, and that was the last I saw of it. My parents had taken it and disposed of it.
My parents were also very sheltering, and didn't (still don't) like to talk about awkward things, but they will rather give me a book to read about it, than talk face to face. :D

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
torriesu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by torriesu »

I remember when I was around 12 I use to sneak read romance books. I always loved how the girls were young and their night and shining armor would sweep them off their feet. I always skipped the love scenes though.
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

It's actually funny (or maybe a little disturbing) that when I was around 12/13 I was in WHSmith and bought a book which turned out to be romance/erotica. I couldn't believe my eyes when I read about all the strange and weird things that adults did when they were 'aroused'.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
emilywagner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilywagner.html

Post by emilywagner »

I was raised in a very Catholic family and I got a hold of the Golden Compass series somehow and read them all... Just before they were basically outlawed by the Catholic Church because of their Atheistic views. Not really anything dark and dangerous but I remember a stern talking to by my father after reading them.

-- 09 Jul 2014, 13:01 --

^^Also same thing with the Davinci Code.
ohiocourtreporter

Post by ohiocourtreporter »

I don't know that I did read a forbidden book, but these are funny stories you all are posting!
Reshmi
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Our Lady of Alice Bhatti
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reshmi.html

Post by Reshmi »

Mills and Boons...when I was a teenager , but after reading a couple of them I got the idea that if you have read one then you have read them all :)

But now that I have a daughter am really worried as to how to decide if a book is appropriate or not :( I mean she is 8 and half months old so I guess I still have some time :)
amen jamir
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amen-jamir.html
Latest Review: "Immoral Society (Book One)" by Catherine Hudson
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by amen jamir »

I did more than a couple of times...those are delightful memories now though my conscience kept bugging me those days :)
Latest Review: "Immoral Society (Book One)" by Catherine Hudson
Sciadoe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sciadoe.html

Post by Sciadoe »

When I was twelve years old I was looking through my aunts books one day and I found one with a remarkably simple cover and it intrigued me. It was Little Birds by Anais Nin. I asked her about it and I remember she looked at me for a good long minute before she decided to tell me to give it a read. That's probably the closest I got. And to this day I know that my mother would have been furious with her for handing me something like that to read, but I'm glad I read it. It actually opened my eyes to what a huge world there is in books.
TiffanyJade
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyjade.html
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis

Post by TiffanyJade »

Hehe yes. Oh such good but scary times hiding books around my room so my parents wouldn't see and tell me off. I remember my first vampire book that I got from the school library and I was so excited about it.
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

When I was in junior high school, I attended a very religious school, and we had a TON of forbidden books.
My eighth grade year, we were actually in the middle of reading Lord of the Flies when one of my classmates' mothers complained to the school board about the book being inappropriate, and the school board banned the book while we were halfway through. I bought my own copy of it and continued to read it to the end anyway, right out in front of everyone at school. My teacher cheered me on. I never got in trouble.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”